Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Thanks Peckham. I feel pretty good today, hopefully the legs are in shape to give me ~5m to finish at PMP or faster....

Week 16/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| REST | sick |
    Tuesday| REST | sick |
    Wednesday| 11m | 4 x 2m (last 2m was a race!) avg 7.02 | HR 148 |
    Thursday| 4.5m | 8.33 | HR 133. AM: weights / core
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 14m on hills | 7.49 - Donegal | HR 153
    Sunday| REST | Donegal |
    TOTAL 29.5

Only 1 run over the weekend. 14m from just north of Rathmullan towards Portsalon on Fanad Drive in Donegal, amazing views and hills to match. 7m out and same back, some good PMP stuff mixed in there, happy with the pace considering we were up until 4AM drinking virgin Jagerbombs! Easy enough week, I'll do a good ints sesh tomorrow and keep the legs ticking over for the rest of the week, hopefully somoe weights this week too, then taper properly next week.

Week 17/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 11m (w/ 4 x 2m ints)| 7.00 avg for intervals, 3.00 rest | HR 148 average
    Tuesday| 4m | |
    Wednesday| REST | | |
    Thursday| 4m | |
    Friday| 12m | |
    Saturday | 7m (w/ 8 strides) | |
    Sunday| 5m | |
    TOTAL

Good intervals session after the easy-ish weekend. Dug in for the last one, it was chilly out there. Ran with 3 gels on the arm, it's time to get Mara-specific! Ran them in my Marathoners, still not 100% on what footwear I'm going with on the day, I've deliberately tried to change my form, concentrating on leaning forward more to midfoot strike, as I tended to be quite tall and almost slightly backwards in my pictures etc. It seems to be working, but I'm not sure if I can manage the flats for 26.2.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

If you have doubts about the flats, then don't use them. The last thing you need coming into the final few miles is doubts about your footwear!

Also, now is not really the time to be trying to change your form.

Stick with what you know and what works....

Week 17/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 11m (w/ 4 x 2m ints)| 7.00 avg for intervals, 3.00 rest | HR 148 average
    Tuesday| AM: weights + core | |
    Wednesday| REST | 8.12 | |
    Thursday| 4m | |
    Friday| 12m | |
    Sunday| 5m | |
    TOTAL

Nice to get out this morning for an easy tergat run around the block, it was extremely mild out there. did a weights + core session yesterday morning too, my nights are taken up this week by college, the match tonight and various other activities. A nice 12m with Greg planned for Fri and then the serious taper starts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

christeb wrote: »
    Looking good on Mon evening, saw you between busaras and the dart bridge, I was on the bike, a bit slow to react!

Now that I think about it a person on a bike registered with me but I was thinking about the slog home. Training is going well for you at the moment not too long until the big one now. I have been taking it easy this month really as I had a few niggles I just needed to shift. Easy week this week as you seen ;)

Week 17/18 DCM Plan
    Wednesday| 4m | 8.12 | |
    Thursday| REST | |
    Friday| 12m | 7.38 |
    Sunday| 5m | |
    TOTAL 39

Nice 12 this evening with Greg around Malahide. Middle 4 @ PMP, although I suspect they were quicker as there was lots of tree cover around Malahide Castle. That was the last tough one pre-DCM, the juices are starting to flow....

Week 17/18 DCM Plan
    Wednesday| 4m | 8.12 | |
    Thursday| REST | |
    Friday| 12m | 7.38 |
    Saturday | REST | |
    Sunday| 7m (w/ 6 strides) | 8.21 | HR 142
    TOTAL 34

Easy 7m to finish off the week, 8 days and counting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks like it's all going to plan - how's the body holding up?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Looks like it's all going to plan - how's the body holding up?

Not bad, I feel in good shape and I've been eating and resting well too. Fingers crossed I've done enough to get the sub 3'11, time will tell.....

• Advertisement

Week 18/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST| t |
    Tuesday| REST | |
    Wednesday| 6.5m (inc 2m race) | 12.20 for the race | |
    Thursday| 4m | |
    Friday| REST | |
    Saturday | 4m | |
    Sunday| REST | |
    TOTAL 15

6+ inc Round 3 of the Raheny Fit4Life series. Nice spin, 2m in 12.20, finished 4th. Tough windy conditions, I also ran in my beat up old Supernovas which didn't help. The week has been going well, eating super healthy and drinking water like it's going out of style. 5 sleeps and counting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck on Monday B. You deserve a good result after all the work you have put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Best of luck on monday, enjoy the race and i hope you reach your goal.

Week 18/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST| t |
    Tuesday| REST | |
    Wednesday| 6.5m (inc 2m race) | 12.20 for the race | |
    Thursday| REST | |
    Friday| 4m | |
    Saturday | REST | |
    Sunday| REST | |
    TOTAL 15

An easy 4m on Fri PM to wrap up the schedule. Drove the course this morning, let the visualisation begin. Many thoughts going through the head pre the off tomorrow, can't change anything now. Legs feel good, I've been eating and tapering well (can you taper well, it's not hard to lie there and do nothing!).

The strategy is set - "sightsee" @ 7.10 pace for the first 13, a couple of fast miles from 13-16 (Cromwellsfort to Terenure as these are pretty fast), survive til 20 and then give it socks from there on in.

I'll leave this blog now with the song which will be in my head tomorrow, on the way to a GLORIOUS BQ time :D ....Link

Best of luck to all, I hope to see plenty of BAC singlets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck, fantastic batch of training you've had, can't wait to see how you do and will you be wearing your trade mark shades :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck ChristieB. Hope you have a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

best of luck tomorrow, i like the sound of your race plan. enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Best of luck tomorrow , your training has been great this year and your in super shape, just go and tear up the roads tomorrow. Will spot you around 9-10 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I've followed your log, no need to wish you good luck, you won't need luck. 'Just do it';)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Have a great race Christeb!

• Advertisement

3:35:13 - tired but elated. Went out far too fast (surprise!) but struggled home. Guess this means according to tunney I only jogged it!

Full report to come after I sleep :) Well done to all today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

3:35:13 - tired but elated. Went out far too fast (surprise!) but struggled home. Guess this means according to tunney I only jogged it!

Full report to come after I sleep :) Well done to all today
    Well done today, looked strong over the last half mile when i spotted you.

1702 Brian Heron Christensen Den MS 595 00:44:59 01:35:23 02:24:08 03:35:13 03:35:01

Garmin

a 25 min positive split!!!! Well we went out with a game plan and stuck too it. First 13,1m down in 1:35:23, ,we were going well and enjoying proceedings. Then the marathon Gods decided to teach us a lessono. Greg lost me on mile 14 / 15 just appraoching the KCR, I slowed from 7.20 to 7.55 to 9.00 and never recovered. I easily switched from race mode to "high 5 kids, eat jellies and get the crowd going" mode, really trying to savour the atmosphere and take it all in. And I did. I think (or at least hope) I had a smile on my face the whole way around. I was doing the whole "hands up to my ears - I can't hear you" gesturing to the crowd at every crowded junction worked a treat.
    1 lady helped me to get going on Foster's Ave by showing me how to take baby steps. I did, and in turn made it my mission to get lots of people going myself. In the end I helped about 10 people start running again, 1 came up and thanked me at the end which was really nice. Had lots of family and friends around the finish which was great, and there was a bit of a kick in the legs to get over the line. Pity I just missed out on sub 3:35. I was elated finishing, still very happy with the time and I'll be back again, with more in the tank this time!

Greg did 3:33:59, turns out he crashed pretty much the same time as me. His bro followed him around most of the 2nd half on a bike which was cool.

At the finish the pain was immense, I got dazed/startled too and couldn't see properly for a couple of mins, anyone know what that is?

Anyway I'll sign off on this log for now, I think the next proper goal is a sub 30 attempt at the Raheny 5, I may or may not do a Mara next year......

Thank you to all who supported, as many have said and I would like to echo, there is NO WAY I would have improved at the rate I did without this forum, that is a fact. So thank you one and all, and well done to all who raced yesterday.

Here are a couple of pics from when we were in better shape yesterday yesterday:

Pic1 (thanks Stupid Private) Pic2 Pic3 (thanks Woddle)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Great report christeb, and still a brilliant time, well done on getting people going again and for getting the crowd going. High fiving and crowd interaction is great fun. I really think the sun played a factor out there today. Well done, you have put in loads of tough training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done christeb,enjoy the rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great running christie, recover well...

Right lads, I'm going to close off this blog. I think it's taken me from a plodder to a respectable runner. I feel comfortable at speed and I'm looking forward to building on it through out the winter in preparation for next season. More shorter stuff awaits on the horizon, together with another attempt at the 26.2, possibly DCM again....

Thanks for all the support on here, I'll prob start a new blog to document my winter progress - I don't want to get lazy!

I'll bookend this with a link to the song that inspired the blog - Tie Your Mother Down by Queen. The only way to enjoy it - live!

Advertisement