Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

7.8m @ 8.16 pace
    Nice run out to Howth village from Raheny (via the South hill - the long one). Didn't push tooo hard before tomorrow's race, although I still think I'll feel it in the legs. Enjoyable.

Brian Christensen 5441 2097 1332 1806 1129 00:50:45

Hmm, not much to report. Subtracting the 1min / km for being horrifically hungover it's a new PB!!!! Great race, crowds, day etc but I was home at 4am the night before so I decided just to plod around with a couple of mates.
    Enjoyable day nonetheless, got a rubdown after which was great too :D

Wed 8th Apr
    Hasn't been the greatest week in terms of motivation, but got out for a nice 5miler @x.xx pace last nt. The Garmin was dead, I actually paused a split second to think could I run without it!!!!

Thurs 9th Apr
    Weight AM

3m @ 7:50 followed by a good training session. Although my touch was mimssing to say the least. At 26 1/2 yrs I feel like my footballing career has finally peaked!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Time to give up that football lark, it doesn't seem to be very conductive to running with injuries and what not and when you do retire from football you can tell stories of your brilliance and how you never reached your potential (because of early retirement) just ask babybing I gave him some ear full a couple of weeks back :D

I think you're right Wod, although maybe if I knew I had genuine natural running talent I'd give it a lot more serious thought. In saying that I would like to be the one passing you on the home straight some day :pac:

Fri 10th Apr
    5 early miles @ 8:21 pace. St. Anne's Park really is a beautiful place at that time in the morning. There was a heron (I think) sitting on a rock in the middle of the pond, just chillin' like! Nice fresh morning, legs felt pretty good.

And now the Easter madness begins....have a cousin arriving over from Denmark to visit so won't be doping much for the next few days...

10m @ 7.55 pace
    Refreshing morning around Clontarf, along Dollymount and home. Garmin here

didn't kill myself but felt pretty strong throughout, its nice to run off some of the Easter indulgence. And with all this talk of chocolate milk as a recovery drink, surey a pint of milk and some Easter egg will do the same job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A nice run for a Bank Holiday monday. And that garmin player is the business.

^ Yeah I certainly enjoyed yesterday

Mon 13th Apr PM
    Weights in the garage. Have recently moved my vinyl player in here too, doin' a few weights while listening to Frampton Comes Alive on vinyl is a good way to finish off a BH wknd!

Tues 14th Apr AM
    5.1m @ 7.52 pace
    My buddy has just started his 6 wk study leave, so he's determined to get into shape. With most ppl you'd just say, "I'll believe you when I see it", but this guy is very determined so we've set out a bit of a schedule. We'll each head out to the other persons hse every 2nd day to go for an early morning run. He's an ex-4.40 miler from college although wouldn't be in the best of shape now. He'll soon get himself back though. So 5 early miles around Raheny, tomorrow a trip out to Portmarnock Beach awaits...
    Football training tonight so will miss the start of the 'pool match, and by match I mean miraculous comeback :eek:

Tues 14th Apr PM
    Rovers training session. Tough, back on the grass for the first time since Oct I think. Sprints, push-ups, sit-ups, match. Enjoyable, felt pretty strong at the end.
    Unfortunately the 'pool match didn't go as planned, I might throw a sneaky few €€ on Utd tonight, they should cruise to a victory...

Wed 15th Apr
    4.4m @ 8.34 pace
    Early AM recovery run with my buddy along Portmarnock strand. Windy, damp yet enjoyable. Legs felt pretty heavy throughout on the sand though - they'll enjoy the rest tonight!

• Advertisement

Thurs 16th Apr
    3m run toi training. Of course when we got there the place was empty (astrp pitches) as the schools were off. I think I needed the rest anyway.
    Was also down with the Shamrocks, there was supposed to be a 1 mile race but it was changed to the day before. Nice lads, told them I'll have to head out on a training run with them next week. This could be the start of a beautiful romance!

Fri 17th Apr
    5m @ 8.12 pace
    5 early morning miles with my buddy around Raheny. Legs pretty heavy but you can't beat a 6.20AM run to start the day. At least now I can head into the early part of the weekend with a half decent weeks training in the body.

10m @ 8.18 pace

10 miles around Portmarnock with my buddy. Being pretty hungover I was just happy to get something done, even if I feel like I'm in distinctly "junkish" territory. Nice evening, if a bit chilly on the extremities.

A good week - 38m + 1 football training sesh + 1 weights sesh. Let's hope this week is as good.
    Plan tonight is to head out with the Raheny Shamrocks for a 10 miler after work, then 5m every morn and training Tues / Thurs. I don't like making too many plans for the weekend!!!

Mon 20th Apr
    5m @ 7:18 pace
    Went out with the Shamrocks this evening. They essentially planned a couple of laps around St . Anne's Park. Tough pace from the outset, on soft grass. The middle 3 miles were around 7:05 avg which really took it outta the legs, so I only completed the one lap. Still, nice to get out with some proper runners an gave me a taste of what's required. I'll be back!
    Recovered quickly, so did a few weights later in the evening.

Tues 21st Apr AM
    5 early miles @ 8.04 pace with my buddy around the Park and along Dollymount Beach. Legs felt good after yesterday and the morning was glorious. Football training later.

Tues 21st Apr PM
    Football training session inc: sprints, sit-ups and match. Enjoyable, felt strong throughout in the great weather.

Wed 22nd Apr
    An early 4.6m @ 8.20 pace around Portmarnock village and Beach. With my buddy who is getting stronger every day, nice to have the motivation to wake up knowing you won't be on your own. Might head out for something later as he wants to take tomorrow morn off, I'll see how the legs feel. This weather is mighty tempting!

Thurs 23rd Apr
    Football training, plenty of sprints and circuits with a little match at the end. Felt fresh although the rain made grip on the astro non-existent.

Fri 24th Apr
    An early 5m @ 7:57 pace around the Raheny 5 route with my running buddy. He's getting stronger all the time which is good. We'll prob do a 12-14m LSR tomorrow if I can stay sober tonight...

10.7 miles @ 8.15 pace with my buddy. Desperately hungover, which is a great leveller for my buddy and I as he's not quite up to my speed yet. Smashing evening for a run, we went out to Sutton X and parked at the Marine Hotel. From here went up the easy side and around Howth loop. Then out past Sutton into Baldoyle, looped back again through Sutton X and a little loop through Offington. No internet at home right now so can't get the stats up, but a tough run overall.

5m @ 7:49 pace.
    Early spin around Malahide / Portmarnock with my buddy. Chilly but legs felt fresh and we pushed it a bit in the second half, there was even a sneaky 7:08 half mile in there somewhere. Enjoyable, leg felt good after being totally out of action yesterday, I think the steep downhill through Howth village on Saturday's LSR really hit my thighs hard.

5.45m @ 7:56 pace.
    Nice run this morning with Greg, around Dollymount before the heavy rain came out. Mini taper for the race on Saturday, it would be nice to go near 32 - McMillan has me @ 32:47 from my last 5k time (19:47). So I'll prob just do a few weights tomorrow morning, football training session tomorrow PM and then take a rest day Friday.

33:40 finish.
    Nice day / race / organisation. Should have ran faster, ended up at an ex-xolleagues leaving bash until the wee hours of Thurs morn, combined with a long day in the golf course Fri meant the legs never felt 100% fresh. Still it's a PB, felt with optimal prep could have comfortably gone sub 33. Nice to meet a few more of the Boardies, great performances lads! Also, have to say I found the 4 laps mentally tough. The fact that I was knacked after the 2nd probably didn't help!
    Garmin

• Advertisement

6.85m @ 7:55pace, inc 2x1m tempo (7:05 headwind, 6:33 tailwind). Decent sesh after being out til 4AM the night before
    Garmin
    HR got all the way up to 174, probably still feeling the effects of the RTE race the day before...

5.6 early morning miles @ 8.02 pace with Greg around Dollymount / St Anne's Park. Lovely fresh morning, stiff breeze in our faces along the beach. 1 mile @ 7.15pace in the middle too.

7m @ 7.53 pace. In Denmark for a long weekend, this was a point-to-point run to my Grandparents place. Wind strong in the face so happy with the pace. Had my little sis cycling beside me, it was great to have her blast out some Britney Spears from her mobile phone when I was tired! Last mile was 6.43 pace.

Later got out for an easy 2m @ 9.43 with my Dad, he doesn't have the pace he used to. An ex-38 min 10k by all accounts...

5m @ 7:40 pace
    3 hungover loops of a nice forest trail beside the house over here in Denmark. Windy but I had a water bottle which saved me from dehydration from last nights activities.
    LSR planned when I get back to Dublin tomorrow, a 12 miler should bring the weeks total up to ca. 38 miles, not bad for a messy enough week...
    In other news I think my 405 might have choked, she just blanked mid run, I hope itds the battery but I think it had plenty of juice, looks like its a trip back to the factory for her...

12.5 LSR @ 8:20 pace with Greg around St Anne's Park / Clontarf / Bull Island.
    Nice run just off the plane from Denmark, was relatively painless, legs felt empty butu not sore in any particujlar place at the end. Pace also felt very manageable throughout. Caps a 39m week which I'm happy with, considering I was out a few days / nights this week and travelled a bit too.
    Today's Garmin (battery died)

8.1m @ 7:55pace.
    Went down to the Raheny Shamrocks, only 4 people there but luckily I found one who was at my pace. Nice evening for a run, felt pretty decent throughout despite yesterday's LSR

• Advertisement

AM: weights

PM: football training. Crap session, just a match. If we win on Sun (last game of the season) we get promotion aotomaticallly. No excuses!

8m @ 8:02 pace
    Tough run with Greg around Portmarnock, most was on the Beach. Wind and rain, groin was sore from yesterday's football but warmed up nicely. Finished with a quick 6:38 mile, which is encouraging. Getitng ready for the Calcutta Run 10k on Sat and then the Docklands Fun Run 5m on Tues next, 2 pbs I hope? Would be nice to break the 5m pb of 33:40 on Tues, although if the football team wins on Sunday we get promoted, which means soreness and hungoverness on Monday....

5m @ 7:34 pace
    Nice solo spin around St Anne's Park, decent pace and felt comfortable throughout. Rest day tomorrow (maybe some xt) before the 10k on Sat.

Tough conditions for this, rain and wind although we didn't get wet on the actual course. Finsihed in 43:45 for 6.37m, average 6:52. It was possibly my only possibility to finish ahead of the first female, I was running with her for the first 6k or so. She finished in 42:30.
    Felt pretty good, splits were pretty consistent. Fell back slightly at 4.5m but picked it up again. Amazing burger / hotdog / salad afterwards!

Raheny Rovers 1-3 Clonshaugh. Other results went our way so promotion is ours! AFL Major next season, linesmen and the works! Got 20mins form the bench today, it may have been my farewell game :(:(:(

• Advertisement

AM: early weights session

PM: Race Report. 33:18 for 5.03m (6:37 pace). For the 5m it works out as 33:05 (NEW PB!). Rushed start as always but got fairly well up in the field so was relatively unscathed after the first few hundred metres. Enjoyable race, blew up a bit in the 4th mile (7:05) and my contact lens got displaced so I had to stop for 30 secs or so to fix it. Finished strong though, I think the 6:08 last mile may be the fastest I've recorded on the Garmin.
    Stats here
    Thanks to Woddle for his attendance with the camera too :pac:

My training buddy is finished his exams tomorrow so we have a 9/10 mile on the cards for tomorrow night...

AM: Weights

PM: 8.2m @ 7.54 pace. My buddy is back after his exams so got a nice spin in along the Howth Rd / Coast Rd loop. Legs felt fine after yesterday's exploits.
    Garmin

Early 4.6m @ 8.06 pace.
    Had a mind v body battle to get up, but once I saw the blue skies I couldn't resist. What a wonderful morning, it was like waking up on a nice Summer's Day in Florida!

7m @ 7.32pace
    The first 5.7 of these were with a couple of lads from the Shamrocks, I gracefully bowed out when the pace was upped to sub 7. Nice run, hopefully get a decent spin in tomorrow before the drinking starts...

A write off this weekend, a combination of laziness, bad timing and a hangover.

8m @ 7.54 pace tonight with the Shamrocks, in somoe esteemed company. 1 guy is a member of the group that has completed all 29 DCMs, 1 guy is just back from a 3hr mara in Copenhagen yesterday and one of the female runner was a serial top 10 finisher at the Mini Marathon. Enjoyable run considering I could easily have gone straight to bed after work, I was very tired. Ate crap all day too, so was all the more determined to get out.

Raheny 2 mile series tomorrow night, think there's a 4 mile race on on Thurs too...

An early 5m @ 8.10 pace.
    Nice few miles around Portmarnock and the Beach with Greg. All set for the 1st Raheny 2m Series Race tonight, McMillan has me at 12.17 so anything under 12 and I'll be delighted. Prob not the best prep (13m in the 24hrs preceding it but I feel pretty fresh now.

2m in 12.06 - 6.03 pace.

Great little race, literally around the corner from the house which helps. Started off well, cruised around in 6.00 although I thought I probably couldn't sustain it. I was right, at 1.3 the 2nd mile pace had drifted to 6.12. Pushed hard and got it back to 6.06 for the 2nd lap. I'm sure I would have gone under 12 if I didn't run this morning. In fact the toughest part of the race was the cold, I couldn't get enough warm air in through the nose which I haven't felt since we used to run the 2.7 mile route before football training in the winter.
    So mental note, keep warmer and go sub 12 next time (21st June)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

christeb wrote: »
    2m in 12.06 - 6.03 pace.

Great little race, literally around the corner from the house which helps. Started off well, cruised around in 6.00 although I thought I probably couldn't sustain it. I was right, at 1.3 the 2nd mile pace had drifted to 6.12. Pushed hard and got it back to 6.06 for the 2nd lap. I'm sure I would have gone under 12 if I didn't run this morning. In fact the toughest part of the race was the cold, I couldn't get enough warm air in through the nose which I haven't felt since we used to run the 2.7 mile route before football training in the winter.
    So mental note, keep warmer and go sub 12 next time (21st June)!
    Good running there, It's a nice little route you have set yourself a nice time to beat already

Thanks shels, yeah I'm looking forward to the next one already. 6 races in total, I wonder what a realistic time to be hitting the last one would be - 11.30 or maybe lower?

Thanks shels, yeah I'm looking forward to the next one already. 6 races in total, I wonder what a realistic time to be hitting the last one would be - 11.30 or maybe lower?
    I'd say if you focused your training on that you could go lower, you had already run yesterday so that could account for a bit of time. I found that as the series went on last year the weather improved and times came down. I took about 40 seconds off my time with out really improving fittness wise but racing better.

• Advertisement

40 secs, eh? I'd definitely take that! The main focus this year is DM, but I think these races are great for gauging speed and actually getting the speed work in during the week.

40 secs, eh? I'd definitely take that! The main focus this year is DM, but I think these races are great for gauging speed and actually getting the speed work in during the week.
    it would be some running if you did, but not impossible. I'd say try and target sub 12, then 11:50 , 11:40 and then see how your going..

I always find that the section just afte the first lap is the hardest that long road is a killer.

Yeah All Saint's Rd is tough, seems never ending on that second lap. Results are up, finished 16th / 66 which I'm delighted with, had no idea I'd be that high up. Top 10 has to be looked at in the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

finished 16th / 66 which I'm delighted with, had no idea I'd be that high up. Top 10 has to be looked at in the future!

I think myself and shels will have sth to say about that :P:D

^ Would love the challenge, I just kept over taking people last night, would be good to have someone nibbling at my heels!

^ Would love the challenge, I just kept over taking people last night, would be good to have someone nibbling at my heels!

I'd be a fair bit away from that, but could sort out our own handicap for the race...

6.5m @ 7.50 pace.
    St Anne's Park and Dollymount Beach before the match. Legs were quite heavy, may or may not do the AXA 4 mile race tomorrow...

XC on the bike today. 20km to / back from work together with a spin around Howth Hill, ca. 50km total (up left at the church, the steep way!). Enjoyable evening for a quick spin on the bike, there's something about coming down Howth Hill on a yellow lump of carbon past the graveyard at 65 kim/h with the sun shining and beautiful views over the city that get me every time.

6.5m @ 7.41 inc. 1x6.30 and a 0.5 @ ca. 6.50 barefoot. HR 145
    Thought I would try the barefoot thing, to strengthen my feet and generally see what I felt like. Nice, legs were skipping along fine right at the end of the run. 28m this wk so far, plan a 14-15miler tomorrow and then some change on Sunday to make it a decent week overall.

• Advertisement

15.1m @ 8.28 pace Garmin
    Finally cracked Howth Hill from my house. What a sensational day, took a couple of extra loops here and there to bring it up to the 15. In all honesty I took a couple of enforced breaks, I went out too fast and paid the price on the way home. Had the hydration belt on which helped getting the necessary fluids onboard (I've been listening too much to Paul O'Connell!). That's 43m for the week, might try to get a sneaky slow one in tomorrow depending on other events...

Advertisement