Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

+1 to tisnotover - looks like the price for that tough midweek has cost you a PMP run. To be honest, I think the PMP run would have had a better payoff than either the 3m race or the interval session. What's this week looking like? Any chance you can get the PMP run in this weekend? It's an important session, particularly to improve motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Peckham wrote: »
    +1 to tisnotover - looks like the price for that tough midweek has cost you a PMP run. To be honest, I think the PMP run would have had a better payoff than either the 3m race or the interval session. What's this week looking like? Any chance you can get the PMP run in this weekend? It's an important session, particularly to improve motivation.

Hey lads
    Thanks for the comments. Well I cleared up some things yesterday, so the head is (hopefully) a lot clearer. Let's just say I won't be getting anymore free massages (Male, 26, seeks F with GSOH for long runs on the beach, with some mileage at PMP.......... :D )
    Peckham, the weeks key sessions are a 12, 12 with 7 @ HM pace and a 20? Tonight is really free, so what do you think would be best? I was thinking a relatively fast 12/13m out in Howth, but I'll listen to your ideas. Also, do you htink I should sacrifice the 20 at the w/e for some PMP work?

What are your long run plans each weekend from now to the race? Just want to see what works best. You definitely shouldn't sacrifice this weeks 20 miler.

What are your long run plans each weekend from now to the race? Just want to see what works best. You definitely shouldn't sacrifice this weeks 20 miler.

According to the sched: 20 / 17 / 17 (w/ 14 @ PMP) / 14 / 20 / 18 / 12 (8 days pre DCM)

1 of these will be around the last portion of the course, and the rest will be on hills (except the PMP session)

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| 13.5m | ca 7.50 |
    Tuesday| 6m w/ 6 x 100 strides | |
    Wednesday| 4(T) |
    Thursday| 12 w/7 @ HM pace | |
    Friday| 4(T)| |
    Saturday| 5m | |
    Sunday| 20m | | TOTAL 64m

Nice run this eve in the new kicks (a friend picked me up a pair of Supernova Glides - thanks Fran!). Felt good throughout. I left the Garmin in the ex's house (bad idea!), so have no idea of pace. I would hope the pace was sub 8, with 5-6 7:30 ish miles in there too. Tough week ahead :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Plenty of miles there to keep you busy christeb,the key there ( that i have stuck by ) is to make sure you have your few recovery days,not to run to fast on those days even if you feel good,that will allow you have a good crack at the 20 miler and your tempo run.
    We are on the same program by the looks of it,P&D ?
    I did my 12 [EMAIL="w/7@MP"]w/7@MP[/EMAIL] today...glad its done for the week.

Sosa wrote: »
    Plenty of miles there to keep you busy christeb,the key there ( that i have stuck by ) is to make sure you have your few recovery days,not to run to fast on those days even if you feel good,that will allow you have a good crack at the 20 miler and your tempo run.
    We are on the same program by the looks of it,P&D ?
    I did my 12 [EMAIL="w/7@MP"]w/7@MP[/EMAIL] today...glad its done for the week.

Yeah we're on the same, Sosa. I'm not sure if I can count this run as the tempo, wish I could though!

christeb wrote: »
    According to the sched: 20 / 17 / 17 (w/ 14 @ PMP) / 14 / 20 / 18 / 12 (8 days pre DCM)

1 of these will be around the last portion of the course, and the rest will be on hills (except the PMP session)

For you final 20 miler - maybe look at finishing that at PMP. Maybe treat this one as a progression run - first third at long run pace, second third at aerobic pace, final third at PMP.

Would also look at doing the PMP run over hills - not severe hills, but something nice and rolling. Maybe doing this one over the second half of the DCM course?

Also, last nights run seems a little fast?

For you final 20 miler - maybe look at finishing that at PMP. Maybe treat this one as a progression run - first third at long run pace, second third at aerobic pace, final third at PMP.

Would also look at doing the PMP run over hills - not severe hills, but something nice and rolling. Maybe doing this one over the second half of the DCM course?

Also, last nights run seems a little fast?

Thanks for the words, I'll certainly take them on board. Last nights run may have been a little fast, but after getting only the 7m in at the weekend I wanted to make up for it somewhat.

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Tuesday| PM: 4.5m easy | still Garmin-less! | AM: Weights / Core
    Wednesday| 6m |
    Thursday| 12m w/7 @ HM pace | |
    Friday| 4(T)| |
    Saturday| 20m | |
    Sunday| 5m | | TOTAL 64m

AM: 45 mins weights in the garage, Yes: The Yes Album on the record player (1974, prog at it's finest!). Feels good to get some core work done.

PM: 4.5m easy. It's getting to that stage where 1 layer is a bit cold but 2 is too warm. What is a guy to do?!

• Advertisement

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Wednesday| PM: 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | ca. 7:50 pace | AM: Weights / Core
    Thursday| 12m w/7 @ HM pace | |
    Friday| 4(T)| |
    Saturday| 20m | |
    Sunday| 5m | | TOTAL 64m

AM: weights / core

PM: Easy enough 6m with some strides this evening, I was plodding along very comfortably. Had a major spill on the way home on the bike, a head over the handlebars job. Luckily escaped with a bloody elbow and some chain marks on my knee, I really need to learn to go slower in the wet.....

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Thursday| 12m w/7 @ 6.52 | unsure of HR etc | Brilliant sesh
    Friday| 4(T)| |
    Saturday| 20m | |
    Sunday| 5m | | TOTAL 65m

It all came together tonight, possibly best session of the year, considering how much of a mental hurdle I've built up towards tempo runs. ran with Greg, 2m warm up and we hit sub 7 pace, didn't let up until we were at 9m - 6.52 average for the 7 tempo miles. Very happy with this, it's great when a plan comes together! From here, with a plate of food in front of me and a runner's high, I'm almost looking forward to Saturday's hilly 20 miler!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

nice session, well done!

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Thursday| 12m w/7 @ 6.52 | unsure of HR etc | Brilliant sesh
    Friday| 4(T)| ca. 8.40 pace |
    Saturday| 20m | |
    Sunday| 5m | | TOTAL 65m

Easy 4m this morning, feeling good.

Nice one - that sounds like a dream session. What running's all about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice run there christeb :) Good notch for the confidence

Thanks lads, definately just what I needed. Stats are here (from mile 2 onwards): http://connect.garmin.com/splits/12515663

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Thanks lads, definately just what I needed. Stats are here (from mile 2 onwards): http://connect.garmin.com/splits/12515663

Good work dude. Just one question(and its probably a stupid one):
    How did you get your mile splits on Garminconnect? Ive tried going into the "splits" option but it wont give me the individual miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great work christie. It's great when everything clicks together. It's like an aknowledgement of your progress. Is your hilly 20 mile going to be loops of Howth too?

tunguska wrote: »
    Good work dude. Just one question(and its probably a stupid one):
    How did you get your mile splits on Garminconnect? Ive tried going into the "splits" option but it wont give me the individual miles.

Thanks.
    You need to set the watch to Auto Lap every 1.00 mile, this should bring up the splits for ya (don't have the watch to hand so can't tell you exactly where to choose these options...)

• Advertisement

Great work christie. It's great when everything clicks together. It's like an aknowledgement of your progress. Is your hilly 20 mile going to be loops of Howth too?

Yep 2x laps taking in all the main roads (and the tougher, shorter hill past the Sutton Donghy club) going anticlockwise. The more the merrier! http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61917079&postcount=231

Its amazing what a good tempo or MP run will do for the confidence...well done...keep them going.

I have 20 myself tomorrow morning and dont mind it one bit.

Yep 2x laps taking in all the main roads (and the tougher, shorter hill past the Sutton Donghy club) going anticlockwise. The more the merrier! http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61917079&postcount=231
    Sounds like a great route, but, I'm on the down-ward taper path, with a meagre 16 miles this weekend (and some kind of 10k time trial tomorrow). Enjoy!

Week 11/18 DCM Plan
    Thursday| 12.5m w/7 @ 6.52 | unsure of HR etc | Brilliant sesh
    Friday| 4(T)| ca. 8.40 pace |
    Saturday| 20m | 8.00 pace | hilly!
    Sunday| 5m | | TOTAL 65m

Great spin this morning, we decided to start out in Howth as Greg bought new shoes and was worried about blisters. 3 x laps later, the clock shows 20m @ 8.00 pace. Very haopy with this, we took in some serious hills, including 1 x lap ini "reverse", i.e. going up through the village past the
    Church (Lap 2), that ain't easy! Had 3 stops, 2 at the car to take on gel / water, 1 at the Summit on the final lap to get some lucozade in.
    A good mornings work and the the only way to start your birthday!

Week 12/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 8m | ? |
    Tuesday| intervals | ! |
    Wednesday| 4(T) | |
    Thursday| hungover ||
    Friday| 5m| |
    Saturday | Pearl Izumi 10k |
    Sunday| 17m | | TOTAL 52m

Rest day yesterday, so finished last week on 60m. Very happy with this, better quality in there. Easier week planned this week, night out on Weds so have to cater for this too. Registered for the race on Sat today, would be nice to threaten a sub 40 there.
    Tonght: an easy 8m in windy conditions.

You're flying. Am expecting to see you overtake me during the final 2k on Saturday!

Week 12/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 8m | ? |
    Tuesday| 8 x 800 intervals | (3.06 avg pace) with 90 secs rest | 8m total
    Wednesday| 4(T) | |
    Thursday| I'll be hungover ;) ||
    Friday| 5m| |
    Saturday | Pearl Izumi 10k | hopefully threaten sub 40!

Nice session this evening, 1st time I've done the intervals solo. Decided to do them a bit slower (possibly on tergat's advice?) and maybe try to squeeze an extra 2 in. Finished on the 8, felt quite strong even then, but didn't want to totally kill myself. HR maxed ouot at 191 which is the highest I've ever seen it

Week 12/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 8m | ? |
    Tuesday| 8 x 800 intervals | (3.06 avg pace) with 90 secs rest | 8m total / AM: Weights / Core
    Wednesday| 4(T) |8.41 pace |
    Thursday| I'll be hungover ;) ||
    Friday| 5m| |
    Saturday | Pearl Izumi 10k | hopefully threaten sub 40!

An easy 4 this morning, let's actually felt great after last night's sesh. A few friends are off travelling, so there's a rare midweek night out tonight to give them a proper send off, don't expect to get anything done before Fri AM.

Week 12/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 8m | ? |
    Tuesday| 8 x 800 intervals | (3.06 avg pace) with 90 secs rest | 8m total / AM: Weights / Core
    Thursday| I'll be hungover ;) | I was, horifically at that! |
    Friday| REST | laziness |
    Saturday | BHAA Pearl Izumi 10k (4.5m cd @ 8.15 pace) | 39.33 PB

BHAA Pearl iZUMi 10k, Firhouse.

Perfect weather / course / km markers (thanks Wod!).

Went as well as I'd hoped, 39.33 - it's the first time I'd "properly" run a 10k since training has been good, glad to have cracked the seconod of Racing Flat's Big 8 :D
    Mile splits as follows: 5.55 / 6.29 / 6.28 / 6.28 / 6.38 / 6.32 / 5.49 (for .21). Went off far too fast, stayed with Peckham for the first 2 / 3 miles, he then pulled off but I was happy with the pace I was at so just tried to stay focussed. The course was fairly rolling which was nice, it was good to run 5.55 and thus have a few seconds in the bag starting off without killing yourself.
    Overall a great event, great to see plenty of boardsies and well donoe to you all.
    I finished off the day with an easy 4.5m home through town, this was to make up for being lazy and hungover yesterday and Thurs, respectively!
    A nice hilly 17m await in the morning to top the week off nicely...

• Advertisement

Great running Christeb and a fantastic time. More than makes up for the hangovers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done on the sub 40 PB. A great feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yep brilliant run, sorry for the water :D just mad jealous

brilliant running, well done!

I would say go and have a few beers to celebrate joining the sub-40 club, but miten't be the best idea with a 17miler tomorrow!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice steady race y'day and a suberb PB - well done.

Week 12/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 8m | ? |
    Thursday| I'll be hungover ;) | I was, horifically at that! |
    Friday| REST | laziness |
    Saturday | BHAA Pearl Izumi 10k (4.5m cd @ 8.15 pace) | 39.33 PB
    Sunday| 16m | 8.07 | TOTAL 47m

^thanks for the comments lads, very happy that I reaped the rewards of some goood training.

A nice 16m this morning, around Howth so the hills were in play again. Made the mistake of eating a big brekkie to early before heading out so this was sloshing about for the whole run. Still, we were happy with the pace considering the last 2 weeks training especially. Met lots of Shamrocks at the summit shop, was nice to stop and chat for a bit.
    Mileage slightly low for the week but considering the quality involved I'm delighted with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well done yesterday B. You deserve it with the work you have done.

Week 13/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4m | easy |
    Tuesday| 10 x 800 intervals - 9m total | |
    Wednesday| 8m | |
    Thursday| | 5m |
    Friday| 12m | |
    Saturday | 4m |
    Sunday| 17m (with 14m @ PMP :eek:) | |TOTAL 59

Easy 4m this morning, I'm pretty sure if I could stop and lay on the ground anywhere, I would have been asleep within 15 secs! Still, good to get the cobwebs blown off.

Tough week ahead, hope I'm not overcooking it in advance of the Half Marathon in the Park...although looking at the sched next week looks pretty easy in comparison, so I should be fine.

Congrats on the PB Christeb....big milestone to get under the 40 mins for 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

+1, well done - especially considering your training is not speed focused...makes you think what you'd be capable of if you did a straight 10K programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Just catching up now... great running on the 10k. Fantastic time! I've a feeling you're going to kick my ass in the half!! :D

• Advertisement

figs wrote: »
    Just catching up now... great running on the 10k. Fantastic time! I've a feeling you're going to kick my ass in the half!! :D

Thanks figs - your reign of terror is coming to an end I hope!
    asimonov wrote: »
    +1, well done - especially considering your training is not speed focused...makes you think what you'd be capable of if you did a straight 10K programme.

Cheers - I think this is where my more immediate future lies after Dublin (and hopefully Boston in April!)

Thanks, I was glowing all weekend after joining the club!

Week 13/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4m | easy |
    Tuesday|6 x 800 intervals (2.50 rest) - 7m total | 2.57 avg per 800 | AM weights / core
    Wednesday| 8m | |
    Thursday| | 5m |
    Friday| 12m | |
    Saturday | 4m |

Good intervals session. Called it a day after 6 though, my stomach was in bad shape and I have a bit of a cold, didn't want to overdo it. Very happy with the pace though, felt I could have completed the Yasso session at <3.00 avg, this will have to wait for another day though! Got a mini weights / core session in this morning also.

real decent session there, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Congrats on the sub 40, all going well for you. 17 this weekend will be a good sign you are in shape for the Marathon pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Very happy with the pace though, felt I could have completed the Yasso session at <3.00 avg, this will have to wait for another day though!

Just googled Yasso there! Have you done them before? I wonder how accurate they are in predicting actual marathon times.

no idea what part of the country your in Christeb,but there is a half in Kilkenny Sunday morning.
    I have 14 @ MP to do also this w/w...im travelling to KK to do it,much easier to do it as part of a race

MCOS wrote: »
    Congrats on the sub 40, all going well for you. 17 this weekend will be a good sign you are in shape for the Marathon pace

Exactly - feeling pretty good so I'm optimistic.
    rigal wrote: »
    Just googled Yasso there! Have you done them before? I wonder how accurate they are in predicting actual marathon times.

Haven't done the full 10 x 800, got up to 8 (with less rest time) last week. Plan is to attack them once or x2 in the weeks leading up, with the last session ca. 13-14 days pre-DCM. It'll be interesting to see if they're accurate. In my case I think I have more speed than stamina, but continued good training should iron that out.
    no idea what part of the country your in Christeb,but there is a half in Kilkenny Sunday morning.
    I have 14 @ MP to do also this w/w...im travelling to KK to do it,much easier to do it as part of a race

In NE Dublin, it's prob a bit too far to travel for a training run. I'll be doing these with my training partner anyway, so there's some support there if either of us is slacking!

Week 13/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 4m | easy |
    Tuesday|6 x 800 intervals (2.50 rest) - 7m total | 2.57 avg per 800 | AM weights / core
    Wednesday| 7.5m | 8.14 | HR 134
    Thursday| | 5m |
    Friday| 12m | |
    Saturday | 4m |

Crap run this evening, stomach was still feeling pretty upset. Had the sniffles all day, I think they're taking the edge off my running too.
    Training partner has a chest infection, if he can't do Sunday I'm thinking of taking Sosa up on his offer of doing the half marathon in KK @ PMP, as I don't think I'd get through it solo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Training partner has a chest infection, if he can't do Sunday I'm thinking of taking Sosa up on his offer of doing the half marathon in KK @ PMP, as I don't think I'd get through it solo....

If you want to keep it in Dublin, I'm planning a 20 miler over the weekend, about the same pace... maybe just slightly slower than you! :D

figs wrote: »
    If you want to keep it in Dublin, I'm planning a 20 miler over the weekend, about the same pace... maybe just slightly slower than you! :D

Hey figs, the 17m w/ 14 @ PMP (7.15 pace :)) is quite a key sesh in the schedule so want to make sure I do it at the proper pace. If you want to up the pace and drop the distance slightly (I know you'ree well able to keep up with me!) let me know

• Advertisement
Advertisement