Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Thought I spotted you shortly after the start alright and was wondering what you were doing so far back... (Blonde, yellow shoes, Boards AC singlet?) But by the time we hit Kyber Road you were already pulling away from me :) It was pretty congested alright, but equally it seemed like the start was well organised if you got there reasonably early with plenty of space to move between people and get forward...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

xebec wrote: »
    Thought I spotted you shortly after the start alright and was wondering what you were doing so far back... (Blonde, yellow shoes, Boards AC singlet?) But by the time we hit Kyber Road you were already pulling away from me :) It was pretty congested alright, but equally it seemed like the start was well organised if you got there reasonably early with plenty of space to move between people and get forward...

That's me alright. Yeah maybe you're right, I'll put it down as 80% my fault for getting there late, and 20% the organisers! I still jumped into the pen about 2/5ths of the way to the front, glad it wasn't any further back. Well done on the sub 40 xebec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

I read the article in the Irish Times on Saturday morning about the race and was kind of glad I wasn't participating. Interesting to see that your experience matched my fears....although am sure not helped by your late arrival. ;)

Did you get out on the 15 mile hungover run?

No I didn't :mad::mad::mad: No excuses, I was just in bad shape all day.

Nothing today either, I have the pleasure of near front-row seats at Leonard Cohen...although I'm off to see the family in Denmark on Sunday, it's basically a week without decent TV / internet etc., a training camp of sorts if you will :)

Have the Raheny 2m race tomorrow night, I will be punishing my body for being so lazy, read that as sub-12 guaranteed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

christeb wrote: »
    No I didn't :mad::mad::mad: No excuses, I was just in bad shape all day.

Nothing today either, I have the pleasure of near front-row seats at Leonard Cohen...although I'm off to see the family in Denmark on Sunday, it's basically a week without decent TV / internet etc., a training camp of sorts if you will :)

Have the Raheny 2m race tomorrow night, I will be punishing my body for being so lazy, read that as sub-12 guaranteed!!!
    I could be wrong but though the next raheny race was next week?
    Actually your right there is one tomorrow and next week

• Advertisement

Good attitude! Sounds like you might have a nice week of training ahead in Denmark.

Week 4/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| REST |
    Tuesday|9 inc 2m Raheny Race| |11:41 for the Race :)
    Wednesday| 5 miles easy |
    Thursday| 10m on Hills | | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday|17m| |
    Sunday|5m easy | | off to Denmark for a weeks training camp

Raheny 2m Race Series 5 last night. Met BeepBeep67 at the start, he went off fast and I tried to keep him in my sights. Bit of a wind out, but perfect running conditions. First mile @ 5.47, felt pretty good. 2nd @ 5.53, one guy caught me coming up the final straight, bit I beat my usual arch nemesis (see Saturday's Race Report post) so I'm happy with this, and it beats the PB by 26 secs :D
    Great running by BeepBeep, he was around 11:25

1.4m warm up, 5.7m warm down with Greg along Dollymount, a good nights running.

In other news, I've started going out with a physio, straight over to hers for a calf massage last night, I have no excuses for leg tiredness any more!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Christeb, that's an excellent time, you just keep getting faster with no sign of slowing.

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done Christeb, that's an excellent time, you just keep getting faster with no sign of slowing.

Besides Saturday that is! Thanks Wod, let's hope it keeps up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Nice one christeb well done on your race!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well done on the Pb, will be there next week to try and get one myself.. Hoep to give you a race next year,.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Well done. Thats brilliant running.

Great running!

PS Was being a physio one of the criteria before starting to go out with them? ;) Having 24/7 access to a physio is a huge benefit!

Peckham wrote: »
    Great running!

PS Was being a physio one of the criteria before starting to go out with them? ;) Having 24/7 access to a physio is a huge benefit!

Thanks Peckham.

Wasn't a pre-req but when I heard that it certainly piqued my interest :cool:

Week 5/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST |
    Wednesday| 5 miles easy | 8:09
    Thursday| 10m on Hills | | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday|17m| |
    Sunday|5m easy | | off to Denmark for a weeks training camp

5m last night in Drumcondra, felt fine and pretty unremarkable. Have to do 10m solo tonight around Howth, calves still feeling the effects of Tues nights race but I'm sure I'll manage...

Week 5/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST |
    Thursday| 10m | 8.15 | Tough route around Howth on the hills |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday|17m| |
    Sunday|5m easy | | off to Denmark for a weeks 'training camp'

happy with the pace this evening, but I weas on my own and stopped a few times for various reasons: stretching as I was worried about my calves being too tight for the hills, more stretching and finally swapping a sock from one foot to the other (1 foot sockless) to prevent my heel from bleeding even more! Rain too, just happy to get the miles in.

Week 5/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| untimed |
    Saturday|17m| |

Easy 4.x un-GPS'ed tergat miles this morning. Plan is for a massage tonight which will set up nicely for 17m with Greg tomorrow morning. Then a 5m when I arrive in Denmark on Sunday which will finish the week off nicely @ 50m....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

50 is a good milestone to hit - is it an easy week next week or more of the same?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    50 is a good milestone to hit - is it an easy week next week or more of the same?

more more of the same next week, going over to see the family in Denmark on Sunday. We have a holiday home in the middle of nowhere, no internet and bad Danish TV so I'll be running and running some more! The sched next wk calls for 48 but I might try to bump it up to 55 and have a mini taper the week after, there's the last Duathlon in the Park then which I'd like to be fresh for.
    Good luck in the last Raheny 2 miler on Tues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

Hey there, What time are you aiming for in the marathon and whats your personal best in the marathon.

• Advertisement

Fitzington wrote: »
    Hey there, What time are you aiming for in the marathon and whats your personal best in the marathon.

PB is shhh, whisper it: 4:54:55 but in my defence that was done in 2002 when I was in college and my longest (sporadic) training run was 8m. Looking to do sub 3:11 for a Boston Qualifying time, not sure whether I'm deluding myself or not though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Fitzington

Don't know anything about the marathon, but Your training is impressive, Im sure if you stay injury free you could run 3.10.
    Have you done any track races this season?

Fitzington wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the marathon, but Your training is impressive, Im sure if you stay injury free you could run 3.10.
    Have you done any track races this season?

No, staying away from the very short stuff. 2 mile is the shortest. Would like to give it a bash at some stage in the future though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Then a 5m when I arrive in Denmark on Sunday which will finish the week off nicely @ 50m....

Enjoy the 'training camp' - I'm off at the end of next week to the sun for a three week 'training camp' and will really need to be disciplined to get up early and get miles in before the sun gets too hot - ah well, if it was easy, everybody would be at it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

PB is shhh, whisper it: 4:54:55

There's not too many people who can turn around and say the got a PB by ~100 minutes if it comes off!!

Week 5/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| untimed
    Saturday|16.6m|8.14 | V. tough route inc 5 tough hills in Howth. HR 150

LSR
    My training bud Greg had today's run laid out when I got to his, 17.5m inc 6 hills around Howth. V tough run pverall, we skipped the last hill as I'm pretty sure it would have shot my calves to pieces. We mixed in the hills very well, keeping a solid pace throughout. By the end I was wrecked, Greg ran the last 3 in ca. 7.40 pace whereas I was a good 30 secs / mile behind. I'm pretty sure this was the most tired I have been after a training run, I have been doing quite a bit recently (not forgetting 100km commuting on the bike / week...).
    Finished off with a refreshing dip on Portmarnock Strand, yer only man!

Edit: the physio is booked is for a serious massage later :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

the physio is booked is for a serious massage later :)

hope the massage sorts you out christeb - must try and squeeze in one myself next week before I go off on hols. Very jealous of being able to have a dip in the sea after long run - the canal is not at all inviting :(

Week 6/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5.4m | 8.01 pace
    Tuesday|8m w/ middle 4 @ tempo| 8.4m w/ middle 4 @ 6.49 avg |
    Wednesday| 5 miles easy | 8.51 | HR 127
    Thursday| 10m | 7.50 | 2m untimed with my Dad, then 8 (w/ 3 @ PMP - 7.15, wind assisted) HR 142
    Friday|Tergat 5m| 8.59 | HR 126
    Saturday| 16m | LSR.......
    Sunday|5m easy | |

Arrived in Denmark Sunday afternoon, got out that evening for 5m easy miles @ 7.55 pace, HR 137 to finish Wk 5 off at 50m, inc 1 race. Happy with that

Mon 27.07 easy 5, nice run and wanted to go further but held back as I knew tomorrows tempo would be hard
    Tues 28.07 tempo 8m with middle 4 @ 10m - Half Mara pace. Got the 4 tempo in at 6.40 avg pace which is about right I think, I'd be happy with that in the upcoming 10m Race. Was tough enough, I was struggling at the end but there was plenty of wind out too.
    Wed 29.07 5m easy, nice sunny day for it
    Thurs 30.07 10m total. 1st 2m were v slow with my Dad (9.50 pace), it then lashed rain so I came in for an hour. back out, got the first 2m in at PMP, 7.15 pace, and another mile later in the run at the same. nice to get used to that pace, it's still not comfortable but I'm not sure it's supposed to be either!
    Fri 31.07 kinda planned an LSR but I went out AM and there was little energy in the legs. Stopped at the 4m, figured it would be better to go out tomorrw and give it 100% instead....

There's a pretty big local concert on tomorrow, m cousin has me going to a pre-game party starting at 11 AM (!!!!) so plan is to get the LSR in v early....

16m tomomrrow and some change when I get back to Dublin (hungover) on Sunday will have me up to 53/54m, will be v happy with that...

Week 6/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5.4m | 8.01 pace
    Tuesday|8m w/ middle 4 @ tempo| 8.4m w/ middle 4 @ 6.49 avg |
    Wednesday| 5 miles easy | 8.51 | HR 127
    Thursday| 10m | 7.50 | 2m untimed with my Dad, then 8 (w/ 3 @ PMP - 7.15, wind assisted) HR 142
    Friday|Tergat 5m| 8.59 | HR 126
    Saturday| 16m | 8.43 | HR 141
    Sunday|5m easy | |

16m this morning. Tough, slow, messy, tired but got through it. Just remember the words from a couple of the guys on here: great success will not come without great pain. Happy to get the miles in, I'll get out for a few more before I jump on the plane in the morning to bring me up to 53 or so for the week. Next weeks sched is pretty tough, including the last Phoenix Park Duathlon on Weds, Formula 1 style (run / cycle / run / cycle / run), I get tired typing that! Really feel like the plan is properly kicking off next week, plenty of tempo / PMP type runs coming up.....:eek:

• Advertisement

Good training week. Easy to lose focus on holidays, good that it didn't happen!

Advertisement