Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tie Your Runner Down - A Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

^ not too much to distract me in the darkest depths of Denmark thankfully!

Week 6/18 DCM Plan
    Day| Session | Pace | Comments
    Monday| 5.4m | 8.01 pace
    Tuesday|8m w/ middle 4 @ tempo| 8.4m w/ middle 4 @ 6.49 avg |
    Wednesday| 5 miles easy | 8.51 | HR 127
    Thursday| 10m | 7.50 | 2m untimed with my Dad, then 8 (w/ 3 @ PMP - 7.15, wind assisted) HR 142
    Friday|Tergat 5m| 8.59 | HR 126
    Saturday| 16m | 8.43 | HR 141
    Sunday|4m easy | 8.52 |

Easy albeit slightly hungover run just off the plane to finish off the wk. 52m (nearly 53 actually!), onwards and upwards! 10m with 5 @ ca. 6.50-6.55 pace tempo run awaits tomorrow....

Week 7/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 10m (w/5 @ tempo) | 7.51 pace total, middle 5 @ 6.59 pace | HR 144
    Tuesday|Tergat 4m
    Wednesday| Dudblin City Duathlon Series, Race 4 | Run / Cycle / Run / Cycle /Run | will be v tough, expecting a time ca. 1:00 - 1:05 and a top 25 finish
    Thursday| 11m | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 18m | |
    Sunday|7m easy | | TOTAL 59m

Start of Week 7, have some good momentum built up after 2 weeks which have gone 100% to plan.
    Tempo run today. Wore the Lunaracers, I have to stop kidding myself, these are not a long distance shoe for someone of my frame (ca. 78kg, 6'3" (and a bit!)). Tempo miles weren't good, my stomach was irritating me, not so much legs per se. Took 2 breaks in this period, so it was more like 3 x 1.33 miles with a 3 min breeak. HR only 144 which I think shows that I wasn't pushing myself enough, it's harder to do on your own. Still got the miles in, set to be a tough week with the Formula 1 style Duathlon on Weds. Hoping to get another good placing in this, Top 25 would be great.

Week 7/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 10m (w/5 @ tempo) | 7.51 pace total, middle 5 @ 6.59 pace | HR 144[
    Tuesday|Tergat 4m | 8.43 pace
    Wednesday| Dudblin City Duathlon Series, Race 4 | Run / Cycle / Run / Cycle /Run | will be v tough, expecting a time ca. 1:00 - 1:05 and a top 25 finish
    Thursday| 11m | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 18m | |
    Sunday|7m easy | | TOTAL 59m

Early tergat run around Phibsboro this morning, all set for tomorrow night's race with a 36 hr taper!

Week 7/18 DCM Plan
    Tuesday|Tergat 4m | 8.43 pace[/B]
    Wednesday| 3m | broken bike = untimed 3m run instead of Duathlon
    Thursday| 11.5m | 7.55 | HR 147
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 18m | |
    Sunday|7m easy | | TOTAL 57m

Wed: missed the Duath due to an accident with the bike. Superficial damage done. Easy 3m run back to the OH's in Phibsboro instead

Thurs: 11.5m with 3 @ 7.20 pace. happy enough with the run, the last 2m were done 1hr after the first 9.5m as I watched the 2nd half of the lads football match. Happy with the weeks progress so far.

• Advertisement

Week 7/18 DCM Plan
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.50 |
    Saturday| 18m | |
    Sunday|7m easy | | TOTAL 57m

4 easy tergat miles to / from Bull Island this morning. refreshing, legs heavy after last night but getting was was relatively painless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Big miles there, what does your training plan max of at in regards to weekly miles?

I'm on the P&D plan which is a max of 55. Including the 2 tergat runs instead of rest days that gives a max of 63.
    Just looked back there, I'm currently on 18 days running on the trot!

Week 7/18 DCM Plan
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.50 |
    Saturday| REST | |
    Sunday|16m LSR |8.08 |HR 150 TOTAL 48m

Sat: rest after a few beers on Fri night, 18 days on the trot and felt sub-par all day. Went to bed with a v upset stomoach so it was nice to wake up on Sunday morning in good shape.
    Sun: Got my ass dragged around around the hills in Howth with tunguska / figs. Nice run, good chat, figs may have saved my live by rustling up some cash for a Luco on the summit (cheers - I owe ya!).

48m for the week - that's 150m in the last 21 days, happy with the progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

christeb wrote: »
    Nice run, good chat, figs may have saved my live by rustling up some cash for a Luco on the summit (cheers - I owe ya!).

I'll hold you to that... you can buy the beers after the 10 miler next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

48m for the week - that's 150m in the last 21 days, happy with the progress.

That's 21 unbroken days isn't it? Fair play, it's tough to get out there on some of the days when morale is low!

Nah it was 18 unbroken days there, took yesterday off again after the LSR (time restrictions more than any particular leg-tiredness). 11 w/ 6 @ tempo tonight, my most hated of all runs! Someone in here said that these are the ones you should focus on (Gringo maybe?), so I'm looking forward to it!

Week 8/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Tuesday|Tergat 5.5m | 7.51 pace
    Wednesday| 11m (w/6 @ tempo) |
    Thursday| 12m easyish | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.50 |
    Saturday| Frank Duffy 10m | target 68 mins |
    Sunday|10m | | TOTAL 52m

OK Wk 8 then.....
    Mon: took the evening off to go watch Antichrist, what an experience! 2 Brian thumbs up if you can stomach the tough parts!

Tues: had planned 11 (w/ 6 @ tempo). Ended up having a bit of a feast late afternoon in work (3rd big samndwich of the day, bowl of chili w/ rice, banana, apple) so by the time my run came around, the food was just sitting there. Got to 3.xm of the tempo's, which weren't going great anyway, and shelved it. I'll try again tonight. This session is becoming mental hurdle for me, I really do dislike it. My training partner is still coming back from injury, so have to do it solo too....

Week 8/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Tuesday| 5.5m | 7.51 pace
    Wednesday| 8.5m (w/5 @ tempo) | tempo done in a 3m (6.50 pace) and a 2m (6.59 pace) blocks
    Thursday| 12m easyish | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.50 |
    Sunday|10m | | TOTAL 52m

Tempo run, again didn't feel great, albeit better than yesterday. ended up with 5m @ tempo in total, which is unsatisfactory but not a disaster. <70 on Sat looks a long way away with the way I was feeling tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

hi christeb, your training is going very well for weeks now. Great mix of workouts and easy mileage. If you pace it well (and finish with your shoes on your feet and not in your hands) you'll hit your target on saturday no worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

Got to 3.xm of the tempo's, which weren't going great anyway, and shelved it. I'll try again tonight. This session is becoming mental hurdle for me, I really do dislike it.

Same here, its seems to be the session that finds it way out of schedule every week, i dont mind the hills, Long run or the interval session but the tempo gets me. Maybe its becuase its the one i do on my own, i read recently "pick the session you hate most and make sure its the one you do". My excuse this week was that the 10 miler in the park is actually a tempo run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The session you don't like doing, make it your first session of the week, then you can look forward to the one you do like doing.

Week 8/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Wednesday| 8.5m (w/5 @ tempo) | tempo done in a 3m (6.50 pace) and a 2m (6.59 pace) blocks
    Thursday| 4.5m |8.15 |easy pace
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Sunday|10m | | TOTAL 44m

Easy 4.5m this evening with Greg, we stayed on to watch the lads' match so didn't get going til late enough. Didn't want to push it too much, I can't have any excuses on Sat!

Week 8/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.49 pace | 1m barefoot in the sea on Bull island - lovely
    Sunday|10m | | TOTAL 44m

Easy 4m tergat run this morning, legs feeling pretty good for tomorrow. There was a beautiful sun for ~5 min and I ran 1m barefoot in the sea on Dollymount Beach, I don't know a better way to start the day!

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I ran 1m barefoot in the sea on Dollymount Beach, I don't know a better way to start the day!

Cool! Best of luck in your 10m tomorrow. Keenly interested to see how you do. You seem to be in great shape though so my prediction is sub 66 ;)

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Cool! Best of luck in your 10m tomorrow. Keenly interested to see how you do. You seem to be in great shape though so my prediction is sub 66 ;)

I appreciate your unfounded optimism MCOS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I appreciate your unfounded optimism MCOS!!!!

No pressure on you now :) . Your training has been really good just get out there run relaxed and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Good luck tomorrow. I will be there for a look as long as its not too wet.

Garmin says 10.08m in 70:45 (7:01 avg), felt good starting etc. but just didn't have it when it counted on miles 8 (7:39) and 9 (7:21).................Proper race report to follow tomorrow

Week 8/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| REST | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| 8.49 pace | 1m barefoot in the sea on Bull island - lovely
    Saturday| Frank Duffy 10m (3m wu / cd) | 70:47 chip time | DAMN :rolleyes:
    Sunday| REST | | TOTAL 35m

FD 10m Race
    Started at a good clip having met plenty of boardsies in the sub 70 pen. Greg was alongside me, we started at a good clip for the first 2m (6.37 / 6.40). Felt good and easy, downhill to though. Figs was with us for this part too. 3rd in 6.56, cruising nicely. 4th m was uphill - 7.11 weith 5th @ 6.55. Nice split with the Kyber to come, I was feeling optimistic. Before the race I downed a SIS gel, this seemed to be sitting in my stomach and I could start feeling it, so eased off a little down the Kyber, m 6 was 6.55, should have been faster. I had the top off at this stage to try to cool down, I was really feeling the effects of the heat. Legs started giving out at m 7, along with the wind and rain which didn't help. Miles 8 and 9 were horrific, I had lost the 2 lads a long time ago and I don't do the alone thing very well. Crashed pretty badly with these miles being 7 / 7:21 / 7:39. Knew I needed a 6:40 to hit the 10m in 70 (at least on the Garmin), tried to pick it up a few times onn the last m but there was simply no juice left. a 7:00 last m with the remaining .08 in 30secs (5:58 pace) to bring me home in 70:47. Greg and Figs did it in 69:15 / 69:30ish, 2 great performances.
    Disappointed but didn't beat myself up, I just didn't have the strength when I counted. I probably could have been mentally stronger but the fact I had nothing left to give in the last m suggests there wasn't a whole lot I could do....
    Which leaves me here, knowing a sub 3:11 is thoroughly out the window, barring exceptions. I'll try to keep training together and do a good HM in Sept, and maybe look at something more realistic in DCM, 3:20 ish. Kinda takes the pressure off, no huge goals to achieve, at least this time around. Am I coming off sounding slightly like Woddle in this post?!

Asking myself many Qs about how I wasn't stronger, I think some of it is down to diet (I eat waaaay too much chocolate), not enough pace stuff in my training, only really hitting the solid 50m weeks recently, even though my legs felt fresh at the start line.....

Sun: Rest today as went away for the remainder of the weekend (Wicklow), legs needed the break to think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I wouldn't give up on the 3:11 just yet. I think you are being a bit hard on yourself...

You are undoubtedly much fitter and faster than me, but (IMO) you're not giving yourself a chance to bring the best out on race day. You did a hard training session last Sunday, with 21 days of consecutive training before that. And your weekly milage is in the 50's, and you were training right up to the race day... and this excludes the daily cycle to/from work, right?!

Maybe consider throttling back with a rest day or two before the race, and see how it goes.

didn't get away unscathed myself from yesterday's race. have a strained calf, so an unplanned day of rest and relaxation... so nice! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Am I coming off sounding slightly like Woddle in this post?!

Yes but maybe you can learn from my mistakes. I ran 70'02 at about this stage for Paris and I set the bar too high (for me) and then started doubting myself after a bad Ballycotton. So firstly stop doubting yourself, pick your target time and stick to it. Secondly when you have time to reflect on FD it might answer a few questions and you can learn from it. Thirdly you still have a lot of quality weeks training ahead so as Billy Joel says Keep the faith :D

3'11 is ambitious but hey so what, be ambitious why not.

Week 9/18 DCM Plan
    Monday| 5m | 8.10 pace |
    Tuesday| 6m |
    Wednesday| 6m |
    Thursday| 14m | |
    Friday|Tergat 4m| |
    Saturday| 15m w/12 @ PMP | |
    Sunday| 6m (w/ 6 x 100 strides) | | TOTAL 56m

Straight back into it, 5 early miles w/ Greg this morning. Easy enough week until Thurs, tough LSR on Sat too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey, race was going ok until you crashed a bit in the last 2 miles. Not to worry you are training well! Don't give up on the 3'10 just yet. See how PMP pace feel at the end of a long run to guage that. A 1'32 ish half marathon would be a good indication too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭Peckham

Don't get downhearted. Remember you're training for the marathon, not the 10 miler. McMillan Calculator predictions assumes suitable training for its predictions - your training is suited to 26.2 miles rather than 10 miles, plus you didn't taper for this race, plus you've lots of time for more improvement.

Definite case for optimism here, and as MCOS says the PMP run will be a much better indicator of where you are at the moment than a 10 mile race.

Advertisement