Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torn - Help me pick between cars.

Options
  • 10-10-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

For my first car, I always wanted to get a Golf, but had resigned myself to the fact that they're outside my budget (€2,500). So I had all set up to buy a Ford Focus Saloon 1.6L, 99, 102k miles on the clock. I think it might be a bit big for my first car, especially driving around Dublin, but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

So I thought it was a bit of a longshot making an offer on a '98 1.6L Golf of €2,500 but to my suprise the owner accepted! Now, the Golf has no tax and the NCT is due in December. That said, there's only 62k miles on the clock, it's had one lady driver, a full service history with the last service being in September. The guy who's selling me the Focus is offering me three months parts and labour, and said he'd put it through the NCT for me.

So I'm torn, if they both were NCTed I'd choose the Golf no problem. I'm headed back up to Dublin at 9am and need to pick one of them - get the Golf I want, and take the chance that it'll pass the NCT, or pick the reliable Focus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Having driven a ford focus for bout 6 years it is very reliable but it was a 99 as well and last year bits started failing on it so we decided to get a different car but we had no probs with it up till that stage. Have no expereince with the golf though. Do you know a bit bout cars and have a good look at the engine before handing over the money. By the sounds of it its probably grand but again why is she selling it that cheap??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I'd go for the Golf, while the Focus is a fine car, the mileage on that one is high compared to the Golf. If the service history on the Golf is genuine it's realistcally worth more than a 3 month warranty, which assuming it's a dealer offering you the warranty, he is obliged by law to do so. Get a mechanic to check out the Golf and confirm the service history with the dealer / garage who carried out the work.

Best of luck and happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From what you've said, i'd definitely go for the Golf. I'm assuming it had its cambelt at the last service, but double check anyway. One owner, service history, and half the mileage make a compelling case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd have the Ford every time - it runs rings round the Golf for both reliability and especially driving pleasure. The Golf's interior feels like the build quality is superior but don't let that deceive you, because it's just a feeling, and not reality.

Don't mind the fact that it's got 102k, they're a reliable car generally and 102k is nothing on a well maintained car.

Regardless of what you buy, remember that no matter how genuine the seller seems, don't part with your money till you can verify the service history(it's very easy to fake it) and get it thoroughly inspected by a competent professional(like an AA inspection) or a mechanic you know and trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can do the NCT three or six months before it's actual due date, can't you?

If so then why hasn't the Golf owner done this considering they are trying to sell it? A 2 year NCT on the car will only make it easier to sell in a very depressed second hand market. Ask the seller about this and make it a condition of the sale, if they refuse or make excuses then it could be a sign that there is something major not right with the Golf.

To be honest the guy selling the Focus seems more genuine about his car, he is willing to put it through the NCT and stand over it for 3 months. This is rare to find on cars in this price range and would carry alot of weight in my decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

making an offer on a '98 1.6L Golf of €2,500 but to my suprise the owner accepted!

So you made an offer and it was accepted. That means you bought the car in my book. No point in even contemplating buying another car unless you are not a man of your word.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Not really, I sent her an email saying the most I'd be willing to pay was 2,500 and no more. She replied saying she'd let it go for 2,500 and definitely no less. I sent her a text saying I'd meet her tomorrow to discuss. Not exactly the Maastricht Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My understanding is:

An offer has been made which the seller has accepted, this doesn't mean the car is sold, it is just an offer. The seller may accept another more attractive offer too in the mean time. Placing a deposit secures the car but you can still pull out of the deal at the expense of loosing the deposit. It is not sold until full payment is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Not exactly the Maastricht Treaty.

Oh no, not another referenda:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

For my first car, I always wanted to get a Golf, but had resigned myself to the fact that they're outside my budget (€2,500). So I had all set up to buy a Ford Focus Saloon 1.6L, 99, 102k miles on the clock. I think it might be a bit big for my first car, especially driving around Dublin, but I'll get used to it I'm sure.

So I thought it was a bit of a longshot making an offer on a '98 1.6L Golf of €2,500 but to my suprise the owner accepted! Now, the Golf has no tax and the NCT is due in December. That said, there's only 62k miles on the clock, it's had one lady driver, a full service history with the last service being in September. The guy who's selling me the Focus is offering me three months parts and labour, and said he'd put it through the NCT for me.

So I'm torn, if they both were NCTed I'd choose the Golf no problem. I'm headed back up to Dublin at 9am and need to pick one of them - get the Golf I want, and take the chance that it'll pass the NCT, or pick the reliable Focus?

Golf golf golf golf golf.

fcus is ok.... Very slow, heavy... Meh... Golf isnt great either but better re-sale on them and a easy car to sell... focus is for tallaght heads :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The Golf IV has dreadfull reliability , I would go for something Jap on a budget

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Not really, I sent her an email saying the most I'd be willing to pay was 2,500 and no more. She replied saying she'd let it go for 2,500 and definitely no less. I sent her a text saying I'd meet her tomorrow to discuss. Not exactly the Maastricht Treaty.

In that case you made an invitation to treat, she made the offer, and now you can accept or reject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I'd take a focus over a golf any day. Golfs are ok, and over-rated. The Focus, as already said will run rings around the golf for driving pleasure and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

By the sounds of it he/she has already bought something, or is in the process of it. I hope he went for the Golf, god i loves me Golfs:p

I see the Golf vote won, with one ruined ballot :D

Got the Golf, nice tidy car, suits me better for my first car in the city as it's definitely a lot smaller than the big saloon the Focus was!

As an aside, there's a Nokia car kit built in, but not for the model phone I have. Is it simply a matter of buying a new cradle, and I can use the carkit on my own phone?

It it comfortline? ie. has it got an armrest? At 62 you would really want to consider the timebelt, if it hasn't already been done.

It's a Comfortline, armrest and all. It had a new timing belt put it during it's last service in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I would have went for focus as stated previously VW's are the most overrated overpriced cars on the market.

That aside get the timing belt done if it goes you are looking at a 2K bill happened to my brother on a diesel model about a month ago.

Best of luck

AB

VW's are the most overrated overpriced cars on the market.

I wouldn't complain for at 2.5k for 98 car, with 60 odd miles, timing belt done and a good interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

I wouldn't complain for at 2.5k for 98 car, with 60 odd miles, timing belt done and a good interior.

Agree.

However ask any scrap man in the country; the Golf 1.4 engine is notoriously weak with every scrap engine sold. Do not know much about the 1.6 petrol (this one) not many sold, however the diesels are these cars best engines.

Plus the second hand car market is in as bad shape as the property market so falling prices across the board no real surprise.

• Advertisement

Agree.

However ask any scrap man in the country; the Golf 1.4 engine is notoriously weak with every scrap engine sold.

As far as i know they improved them after 2002. But ya, they have their problems, like everytihing:D

Anyone got any idea about the mobile phone carkit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone got any idea about the mobile phone carkit?

Scan for bluetooth with your phone...it could be bluetooth enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 seanflynn

For your first car pick the focus cause you don't want to be wasting more money fixing the golf and parts and stuff like that so id pick the focus its the reliable 1 its a good first car to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I'd rather have a Golf that is prone to mechanical failure in my driveway then a 100% reliable Focus. While standard 1.4/1.6 Golfs are fairly bland the standard Focus screams OAP. The Focus is the kind of car that you expect to see a Man size box of Kleenex on the parcel shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VeVeX wrote: »
    I'd rather have a Golf that is prone to mechanical failure in my driveway then a 100% reliable Focus. While standard 1.4/1.6 Golfs are fairly bland the standard Focus screams OAP. The Focus is the kind of car that you expect to see a Man size box of Kleenex on the parcel shelf.

You've obviously never driven one then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

I personally think the golf is well over rated and abit of a womans car.The focus is a better car in everyway and a lovely car to drive also.;)

E92 wrote: »
    You've obviously never driven one then.

Ive driven plenty of them thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

VeVeX wrote: »

:confused:
    The focus is a fantastic car to drive, reliable, and has great looks imho. Would never have considered it an oul' fella's car. It's aggressively styled for it's age. And the best thing about it is its handling, sharp/responsive steering.

• Advertisement

:confused:
    The focus is a fantastic car to drive, reliable, and has great looks imho. Would never have considered it an oul' fella's car. It's aggressively styled for it's age. And the best thing about it is its handling, sharp/responsive steering.

The OP's post was about a saloon Focus. If you find the rear end of a saloon focus aggressive your on the Kleenex road yourself. Have a look around at saloon Focus drivers the next time your out and about I think you'll find there mainly older people i.e not first car drivers or they just look like they needed an a->b machine.

Jeremy Clarkson has polluted the minds of many into believing that the focus is the be all and end all of mid sized family hatchbacks. If a Golf has 80K miles and a Focus 80K miles have a look at both and see which has weathered better. The sharp/responsive handling will mean nothing when the focus looks battered and tired in comparison to the VW.

There may be an opinion that VW reliability is over rated but there no denying that when the mileage starts to creap up a VW will show it with alot more grace then a Ford.

Advertisement