Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Torn - Help me pick between cars.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VeVeX wrote: »
    The OP's post was about a saloon Focus. If you find the rear end of a saloon focus aggressive your on the Kleenex road yourself. Have a look around at saloon Focus drivers the next time your out and about I think you'll find there mainly older people i.e not first car drivers or they just look like they needed an a->b machine.

Jeremy Clarkson has polluted the minds of many into believing that the focus is the be all and end all of mid sized family hatchbacks. If a Golf has 80K miles and a Focus 80K miles have a look at both and see which has weathered better. The sharp/responsive handling will mean nothing when the focus looks battered and tired in comparison to the VW.

There may be an opinion that VW reliability is over rated but there no denying that when the mileage starts to creap up a VW will show it with alot more grace then a Ford.

The quality of the materials used on the dashboard seems to be a common yard stick on this forum for judging the ability of a car. If only VW concentrated as much on other aspects of some of there cars such as driving dynamics, styling and reliability.

High quality plastics and silicone dampened grab handles are not a measurement of how good a car is, thank God.

Anyway it is all irrelevant now as the OP has bought his car. Good luck with it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have to agree about the satandard Focus, however I haven't driven the 1.6.

And demographics wise, a lot of OAPs drive the Focs, my grandparents have a 06 1.4 and it would struggle to accelerate at the same rate as my old 1l Corsa. I thought the Astra was slow until I drove it....so glad I went for the 1.6 now:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

bazz26 wrote: »
    The quality of the materials used on the dashboard seems to be a common yard stick on this forum for judging the ability of a car. If only VW concentrated as much on other aspects of some of there cars such as driving dynamics, styling and reliability.

High quality plastics and silicone dampened grab handles are not a measurement of how good a car is, thank God.

Anyway it is all irrelevant now as the OP has bought his car. Good luck with it OP.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

VeVeX wrote: »
    The OP's post was about a saloon Focus. If you find the rear end of a saloon focus aggressive your on the Kleenex road yourself. Have a look around at saloon Focus drivers the next time your out and about I think you'll find there mainly older people i.e not first car drivers or they just look like they needed an a->b machine.

Jeremy Clarkson has polluted the minds of many into believing that the focus is the be all and end all of mid sized family hatchbacks. If a Golf has 80K miles and a Focus 80K miles have a look at both and see which has weathered better. The sharp/responsive handling will mean nothing when the focus looks battered and tired in comparison to the VW.

There may be an opinion that VW reliability is over rated but there no denying that when the mileage starts to creap up a VW will show it with alot more grace then a Ford.

I don't listen to jerermy clarkson. , but I know well that a focus is a far more durable car than any golf. I have also had to search scrapyards for golf engines. A neighbour of mine bought a golf in 02' brand new against my advice. He now drives a focus. That golf spent more time been repaired than it did on the road.
    Anyhow now that the OP has got the golf , best of luck and I hope you got one of the relabile ones and remember to check the oil level weekly.

Advertisement