Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

I was there last week. It was an incredibly "fancy" looking city centre restaurant and bar. We didn't have a drink cause we knew it'd be a rip off. I'd say they reel the tourists in.[/quote]

Both hammered at the weekends, actually dont mind the Kings Head, Skeff a different story though, poor service etc.

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Old stand, pint of Guinness and a bottle of coors came to about 12 yo yo's. Cheeky feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The Slaughtered Lamb(I think?) the fancier section just in the main door in Swords village, 5.40 for a bottle of miller though a pint of snakebite was 4.80, doesn't really make sense..

6 Euro a pint in Bruxelles ? Even for a saturday that's an absolute joke !

EDIT: Are we talking about Upstairs or downstairs/metal bar in Bruxelles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a friend paid €6.10 for a pint of smithwicks and €3.80 for a can of club orange in oliver john st. gogarthy after the boxing match on sat night.
    he put the receipt on a notice board in work in case people doubted him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

5.30 in Knightsbridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

€5.85 for a pint of bulmers in Clontarf Castle. Along with a vodka and coke it came to just under €15:eek:
    That's a pint btw, not a pint bottle. I was afraid to order one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

€5 entry to Dicey Rileys and €5.50 for a pint of Guinness on Friday. First time I've been there at the weekend and the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

It's 50c to €1 for a pint of any of the three local beers in Bulgaria,
    everywhere in Ireland is a rip off!

Con: my livers probably weaping.

Pro: Probably better in a way its more expensive to drink here can you imagine what Dublin CC would be like on a Friday/Saturday night if pints were 60c each?

Don't think you can make a comparison between prices in a developing nation and a developed nation like ourselves.

But take for example Munich, the most wealthy and affluent city in Germany where you can pay €6 in the centre for 1 LITRE of the purest freshest beer (it's also circa 5.6%).

That really puts into context how much we are being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

€6.20 for a pint of heineken in the morgan, or morgan, whatever its called, facing Thunderoad in Temple Bar.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€5 entry to Dicey Rileys and €5.50 for a pint of Guinness on Friday. First time I've been there at the weekend and the last.
    Wondered how they made there money. Was there for the first time last wednesday, no cover charge and all drinks €2 including pints of paulaner which are usually €5.50 even in cheaper pubs. A pint of it would cost more in an off licence. Some other german beers were just longneck bottles like erdinger, but still €2 so probably cheaper than an off licence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

5.50 for a heiniken in the blarney Inn on nassau st..a pox-hole full of bad irish music and paddywheckery..hell on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

I had a vodka and coke in Myos in Castleknock last Friday(1st drink) and there was a faint taste of vodka from it.I asked the girl if she was sure she had put it in and she said of course yes but I am sure it wasnt the normal strength.Afraid I dont know what it cost but it was dear for coke!!!

I think it is mad to buy spirits in pubs in the first place, as it is barely over half a pints worth of booze and can be twice the price with the mixer. But if you insist you should always make sure you get them separate with no ice, this way they will not know if you are going to taste it first and will spot if it is diluted. I expect many pubs have 2 bottles, one diluted and one normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

rubadub wrote: »
    I expect many pubs have 2 bottles, one diluted and one normal.

:rolleyes:

I have worked in a lot of pubs / clubs over the years, while many of they were quiet cheeky with their prices, I have never seen, or have served diluted spirits. If I ever was in such a place I would give doubles :p

skibum wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I have worked in a lot of pubs / clubs over the years, while many of they were quiet cheeky with their prices, I have never seen, or have served diluted spirits. If I ever was in such a place I would give doubles :p
    Roll your eyes all you want but you are ignorant. You could well be ignorant of your own pubs doing it after hours too. It is so easily done I would be surprised if it doesn't happen a lot, first few hits on google got.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/83642500-fine-for-diluting-vodka-1487139.html

By Colm Kelpie

Thursday October 02 2008

A publican has been fined €2,500 for watering down vodka.

Charles Malzard, of Malzard's Public House in Stoneyford, Co Kilkenny, was convicted at the district court and ordered to pay costs and expenses of more than €1,000 for the offence, which occurred on July 30 last year.

The prosecution was taken by the National Consumer Agency (NCA) after tests revealed the level of spirit in the vodka was below what it should have been. The case was sparked by a complaint from a member of the public.

NCA said they are not aware of such behaviour being a significant problem, with the last case taken against a publican for watering down alcohol being in 2004.

Chief executive Ann Fitzgerald said, "I am very pleased. Businesses must recognise that they have obligations under consumer protection legislation.''

Costs amounting to €363 plus expenses of €818 were awarded to the NCA at Kilkenny District Court.

http://www.emigrant.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9097&Itemid=195
    Publican fined for diluting vodka | Print | Email
    Sunday, 17 October 2004

A Co. Meath publican was fined €1,270 on Tuesday for the adulteration of vodka and charging more than the displayed price. Hattons Pub Ltd, trading as Hattons, Garadice, Kilcock, Co. Meath, was convicted of selling Smirnoff Vodka at 35% by volume instead of the regular 37.5% by volume. The company was also convicted of charging their customers 70% above the display price for the watered-down drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

was at the Oktoberfest thing in the IFSC last weekend, and my mate paid €8.10 for a pint of warm Paulander in a plastic glass.

The girls serving dont eagerly tell you that you have to put a desposit on the glass itself, and if you bring it back, you get 1.50 back.

Still a rip if ever I seen it though. For the record, Paulander is Gak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Archeron wrote: »
    was at the Oktoberfest thing in the IFSC last weekend, and my mate paid €8.10 for a pint of warm Paulander in a plastic glass.

The girls serving dont eagerly tell you that you have to put a desposit on the glass itself, and if you bring it back, you get 1.50 back.

A pint or a Mass ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I was at that as well - they cleaned up at the end of the night with people, there were barmaids going back with trays of empty glasses and I saw at least 2 different couples heading up later to demand a refund, most drunk people just left without thinking about the refund on the glass. It was waaaay worse in the beer tent later with the bigger actual glass ones, the deposit was (from what I remember) €5 and again the staff cleared the un-watched/empty ones sharpish. They made some serious money on that throughout the evening. I would probably stay clear of it next year on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

KTRIC wrote: »
    A pint or a Mass ?

A regular pint. And not even a full one if the four inches of head foam is counted.

Have to say I was disgusted, and I laughed when I heard the ads on the radio today for it. no wonder its fecking free in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Ouch!!! Had a couple of pints of it in the Porterhouse Central the other day....4 Euro a pint and not too bad.

Brgds
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 fryer99

in fairness, apart from the odd horror story of a price, they are all within a few cents of eachother. If you pay 5 cents extra in one pub than you do in another will make very little difference to you at the end of the night. What annoys me is the principal of the thing. Why should a pub charge more than another? they all have overheads, what gives one the right to charge more than another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Northern Guy

My mate bought a pint of Carlsberg in Gogartys at 2.20am on Thursday morning. I thought it was great value at only 6.60e! (ps. I saw the receipt).

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I was there on Saturday and was charged €5.50 for any pint I bought (I was there from 6 until 10). The only glass they seemed to want a deposit for were the litre ones, but there none to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

how about 6.50 for a bottle of erdinger in the Merrion Inn. The place was nearly empty and the barman kept coming over asking if we wanted more drinks. We Just kept making smart remarks about the price of the beer

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭horsebox1977

6.70 pint of bud in Fitzsimons.

I was recently in Portugal and got 4 bottles of the local beer and 2 packets of peanuts - and I got change out of a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

in fairness, if you drink in templebar, you're going to get ripped off.
    Farringtons across from fitzsimons is dearest ive seen. 7.20 for a pint bottle of bulmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Call me stupid if you will but would it be good to have some type of website with varying price lists showing how bad Templebar is price wise and try posting links to it it on overseas sites to make visitors aware, hell even a list to put on a notice board in hostels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The O2 deserves a mention, €6 for a 400ml "pint".
    They have 500ml bottles for €7, but they're only 3.2% alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

€7.90 for a vodka and diet 7up in the palace on camden st, last friday night :eek:

Thank god I was getting it for a friend, and i already had her money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

People are getting screwed,come to Cork!!

In UCC cans of dutch gold €2,Pints €2.75 except Bulmer €3.75.
    Brog-€3 till 9,bout €4.60 after.
    Most clubs do cans and are cheap before 11.
    €2.90 vodka and free splash in most clubs.

The pub i work in, The Vineyard on Patricks Street, has the Supper Club on a Sunday- €3.50 for all domestic pints(carlsberg heiniken etc.), €4.50 cocktails and free Pizza from 8.(This is from open till close).

So glad i dont livein Dublin!!!

Advertisement