Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Going back to the topic at hand, I've noticed a few more pubs have dropped their prices. Mulligans have a pint of Guinness now at €4.45. Apparently Molloy's on Talbot street has Guinness at €3.80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Draco wrote: »
    Going back to the topic at hand, I've noticed a few more pubs have dropped their prices. Mulligans have a pint of Guinness now at €4.45. Apparently Molloy's on Talbot street has Guinness at €3.80.

Was in the Duke last night and the price of larger was 4.70

Last time I was in there it was 4.90

Draco wrote: »

My local in Finglas (Cremore house) used to sell Guinness for 4.05

Will be in later to see if it dropped

My local in Finglas (Cremore house) used to sell Guinness for 4.05

Will be in later to see if it dropped

3.90 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Indus in Drogheda charge €7.95 for large bottle of Cobra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

€3.60 for Guinness in West Clare, €4.00 for Lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Mother phuckin rip off bandits Fitzsimons. 6.20 for a heineken. and 6.00 for vodka.
    pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

€22.80 for 2 Jaegers, 1 rum and a coke? Is that unreasonable?

ICON in limerick if anyone is wondering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

raido9 wrote: »
    €22.80 for 2 Jaegers, 1 rum and a coke? Is that unreasonable?

ICON in limerick if anyone is wondering!

€22.80 for 3 units of alcohol? Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Was at a birthday party in Russell court hotel in D2 on Stephens night,
    €6 for a pint of mingin Coors (although my receipts kept saying Bulmers???)
    and €3.30 for small bottle of fanta or 7up!
    I'm not a pub owner, but come on lads? Must be some mark up on the soft drinks alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

as an aside i was in a pub in playa del rocha in portugal 3 weeks ago.... got a pint of guinness, glass of wine, southern comfort with dash of coke and vodka and coke..... for 8.50euro... i couldnt belive it.... now I know different country and all that but it goes to show how much ireland has priced itself out of the equation for tourists..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Not a rip off but i got cheap pints in Ron Blacks last tuesday - €4 pints - was very happy and shocked.
    Same with Porterhouse on monday €4 pints of Temple brue.

hussey wrote: »
    Not a rip off but i got cheap pints in Ron Blacks last tuesday - €4 pints - was very happy and shocked.
    Same with Porterhouse on monday €4 pints of Temple brue.
    That is still rip off Ireland. You can get quality pints of London Pride in Central London, Mayfair for about €3 any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

That is still rip off Ireland. You can get quality pints of London Pride in Central London, Mayfair for about €3 any time.
    true, but compared to 25% off some of the prices listed here it is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

That's a rip off
    You can get the same in Thailand for €1

That's a rip off
    You can get the same in Thailand for €1
    My point stands. Mayfair is one of the richest areas in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sparking Sea

Had a night out in Howth on Tuesday. Cappuccino 3.30 in the Abbey Tavern. Just wont be going back there thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭pcardin

3.5 Eur for a 0.2ml glass of coke in Club92 (Leopardstown, D18).:eek: This was a second dearest coke I've ever had. :mad: I've paid 6eur for coke in Monaco but that was 0.5ml glass and that was Monaco for Christ sake and not some feck1n' smalltown Dublin. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Was in a pub in Ballindagin Co Wexford recently and pint of the black was only 3.50 and a large bulmers only 4.5 larger 3.80 alcopops 4 no promotions just the regular prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

€22.80 for 3 units of alcohol? Yes.

I would say you were overcharged, or someone behind bar is pocketing in the quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

big syke wrote: »
    Mother phuckin rip off bandits Fitzsimons. 6.20 for a heineken. and 6.00 for vodka.
    pricks

what town is that pub in
    overcharging by a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

5.70 for a Carlsberg in the hairy lemon..mid week day time too..ripp off!!

Some places are coppin on though, not sure I can mention em as maybe it goes as advertising..but if you shop around you'll find em

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

I was in the Leopardstown Inn after the races on St. Stephens Day. There was 10 of us and we got seats and ordered beers with a view to ordering food later on. The beers seemed a lot dearer than normal. It is normally about €4.65ish for a Guinness and it wasn't just the Guinness that seemed more expensive, it was every drink. When I questioned this, the Lounge girl embarrasinglytold me that they had put €1 extra on to a drink, when I asked why she said that I should speak to the management. So I did. I was told that €1 extra was put on to the price of a drink and the food (so your normally €25 steak was now €26). The explanation given to me was that it was to cover the cost of extra staff being brought in for the Christmas period. That doesn't add up, surely if they are expecting extra business over the Christmas period, the extra revenue made should cover the extra cost of staff? Arrogant [EMAIL="b@$tards"]b@$tards[/EMAIL]! When I asked the Bar Manager why they hadn't put up a poster clearly stating what they were doing so customers could make an informed decision - he said "Do you think we are stupid??!!!" Not even the locals knew about the increase until they were hit with it.

I will never set foot inside the Leopardstown Inn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

When I asked the Bar Manager why they hadn't put up a poster clearly stating what they were doing so customers could make an informed decision - he said "Do you think we are stupid??!!!" Not even the locals knew about the increase until they were hit with it.
    Did they not have the price list clearly up inside the pub? if not you could report them.

the list should be
    (a) immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to the premises open to the public where the whole of the premises is used for the purpose of selling liquor by retail for consumption on the premises and the same price is charged in all parts of the premises per quantity, measure or unit of each of the beverages;

(b) immediately outside or inside each entrance to each such part of the premises which is open to the public where the whole of the premises is used for the purpose of selling liquor by retail for consumption on the premises and different prices are charged in different parts of the premises per quantity, measure or unit of one or more of the beverages;

(c) immediately outside or immediately inside each entrance to the part of the premises used for the purpose of selling liquor by retail where only part of the premises is used for the purpose of selling liquor by retail for consumption on the premises.

I have never seen, nor would I ever expect any pub, restaurant, or any retail shop to have big posters advertising the fact they have put up prices. I have to agree he would be stupid to have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Graces Naas new years eve.

Ordered 1 redbull and 2 double vodkas.

The bill? €31 :eek:

Broken down into (as per receipt)

4 * Vodkas @€;5 each
    2 * Red Bull @ €5.50 each

I neither ordered, not got the second red bull.

Asking the barman, he mentioned "prices go up after midnight"

How did i miss it with all those OBVIOUS signs...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

I was in Dakota just after the budget. The pints had not been reduced it was €5.30 Carlsberg. When I asked why not I was told that they couldn't make the change to the computer tills until next Monday.

I was in there again on Saturday 02/01/10 . The pints still have not been reduced. I asked why not I was told that they were not been reduced.

The owner had no plans too.

The Barman was not happy with my questions but f**k them .... as this is a joke. The government might aswell slap the excise back on and get the money off these bast&&d publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nordiestar

Graces Naas new years eve.

Ordered 1 redbull and 2 double vodkas.

The bill? €31 :eek:

Broken down into (as per receipt)

4 * Vodkas @€;5 each
    2 * Red Bull @ €5.50 each

I neither ordered, not got the second red bull.

Asking the barman, he mentioned "prices go up after midnight"

How did i miss it with all those OBVIOUS signs...

A Red Bull (your mixer) is more expensive than the alcohol.

Only in Ireland............

And the Govt (ant the publicans) wonder why this countries in the ****???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nordiestar wrote: »
    A Red Bull (your mixer) is more expensive than the alcohol.

Only in Ireland
    I would not be surprised if thats in other countries too. You can get a bottle of skyy vodka for €15 in tesco at the moment, last time I was in fillies in leopardstown racecourse I think it was €8 or €8.50 for a single shot of it. A 700ml bottle has just under 20 shots in it, so it is over 10 times the price in fillies.

So the shot is about 75cent in a supermarket, I doubt you will get a can of redbull for that in a supermarket. Vodka is readily available for under €20 a bottle now. So working on the same markups it actually makes sense to have to pay more for the redbull, this really just exposes the overpricing of both spirits & mixers in pubs though. I think people are mad who buy spirits in pubs.

What is even crazier is the "macho men" who think if they are drinking soft drinks they have to drink it by the pint or else they are a nancyboy, so they are paying €6 for a pint of coke, yet would not drink it in pints in their own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

If you check for promotions online before you go out in Dublin city you'll get a pint for 3/3.50 euro no bother. People who knowingly go into a bar and pay over 5quid for a pint or bottle are the reason we are in the mess we are in!

Advertisement