Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

7.20 for a vodka and OJ in the button factory(formerly the templebar music centre!) last saturday night.....yeesh!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

SteveC wrote: »
    What about all of the pubs that increase their prices after a certain time at night?
    Are they supposed to put up new price lists?

Lot of places display two prices on the price list, normal price and late/after 11pm price.

Dicey Reilly's on Harcourt St, €5 or €5.20 for a pint shortly after 8pm. Second pint about 40 minutes later, €6. And there's a €5 cover charge after 9pm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I know it's possibly a sweeping generalisation , but it seems that city centre pubs/superpubs operate a business model based on squeezing the last penny out of customers.They dont seem to need regulars etc so they dont need to make any concessions to customers, hence jacking up the prices at certain times etc OTT cover charges , (I know the running costs for these premises are higher but even so they the amount charged is disproportionatly high) if you dont like it and vote with your Euro's and never come back , some other gob5hite will be in next week to take your place.

Rural pubs/local suburban pubs need repeat business so to a certain extent they'll usually have lower prices etc .They still charge too much , but its not quite as bad.
    Since the smoking ban came in , and the people started to drink more at home I think the public have realised how much they're being overcharged.

I'm assuming that rediculous law the government brought in a while back regarding Off licence closing hours was to protect the publicans from a problem they created by charging too much.(i.e. if its after 10pm and you fancy a drink , you'll have to go to a pub and pay for a pint there , rather than nipping to tesco's and grabbing a sixpack for reasonable money)

Also http://www.pintofplain.com/ , well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

rubadub wrote: »

Well many do realise, and hence they decide to pay the massive house prices in dublin for this convenience, amongst others. Though you will see ignorant dubs moving out thinking it is all cheap houses & cheap pints, then paying a fortune on fuel commuting, and missing out on potential overtime for that commute time.

A worthy contribution to rational debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Vodka - €4.50 single measure. 113ml 7up mixer €3. Langtons Kilkenny City.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

€15 for 2 jager and "red bull" in Tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

€8 for a glass of red wine at the Skellig in Dingle. Didn't have a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

I was out in Rubys night-club Waterford recently and was going to be driving early the next morning so i decieded to order a pint of Heinken shandy. At which point i noticed the barperson take a 200ml 7up mixer from the shelf and pour it into a pint glass and then proceed to fininsh pulling the pint. She gave me the drink and i handed her a Tenner i waited for my change of which i got 1.40!!! I looked at the reciept and the stupid lady had charged me for the 7up mixer plus a full pint of Heniken!!! I waited at the bar 15 minutes trying to get her attention to address the issue all of that time she ignored me! I dont know if this is company policy or just a stupid barperson either way its day-light robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Caliden wrote: »
    thats a bargain by galway city standards

(if thats sarcasm you need the :pac: smiley)
    ha ha thats exactly what I thought when I seen it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

€6.20 for a bottle of Bud in Dicey's a month ago. This is on top of a cover charge of €5 to get into the place after 11pm. Needless to say I have not been back.

Yeah i was charged €6.20 a bottle as well i was there a few months ago for a 30th birthday, uncomfortably packed as well queing for 20 mins at the bar, ill never go there again, a horrible place.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Answer me this riddle....

Why are the Cafe Insanes of this world still packed every Friday/Sat night ?

They are a total rip off , but I assume people still pay the prices .

I just don't understand it, I wish Witherspoons would come into Dublin, or into Ireland and bring in their price culture with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jonny68 wrote: »
    Yeah i was charged €6.20 a bottle as well i

Never buy longnecks, total ripoff, even when apparently cheap enough. €6.20 per bottle works out at €10.67 per pint!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411189

The only good thing about longnecks is stashing them in, heinekens are 83c in tesco at the moment. When gigs are on like in the RDS (or any big event where it will be jammed but you can drink outside) I bring bottles and just drink outside the pub, saves you qeueing for 20mins only to be raped by a publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

I'm not too bad in our local, pint of Guinness is €4 and lager €4.20, on top of this you won't get better pints in the country, pure cream:D The half one is €3.30 and €1 for the baby mixer. The long necks Bud, Heineken and Miller are all €3.40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

was in a pub in cork last weekend, think it was called the Brog or something

All pint are €2.90 EVERY DAY until 9pm.

The way I look at this, they surely can't be losing money as its 7 days a week, opening time til 9pm. Yet how can publicans charging double that still give the poor mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bruxelles, 5:15 for a pint of Smithwicks that was so poor I could hardly finish it and to top it all off served by an ignorant little ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I friggin hate barmen with an attitude, as if its the customers fault they couldnt get a degree. Worked in the indiustry for years in ireland england and abroad and the irish barpeople in general had a massive chip on their shoulders and were generally snotty twats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I was charged e6.60 in Gogarty's, Temple Bar, for a pint of Carlsberg last week. Tourist trap it may be, nothing excuses that kind of money. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Jaysoose wrote: »
    I friggin hate barmen with an attitude, as if its the customers fault they couldnt get a degree. Worked in the indiustry for years in ireland england and abroad and the irish barpeople in general had a massive chip on their shoulders and were generally snotty twats.

i'm a barman, i've a degree.

sounds like it's other people that have the attitude

4 for a pint in me local, not too bad, but €6 for a pint bottle GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was in temple bar there two weeks ago, dont be in that often and I certainly wont be goin back in a hurry.

Bacardi & Orange Juice and Captain Morgans & Coke €17.60 or there abouts in The auld dubliner in temple bar. Id buy a f**kin bottle for that price. Needless to say I didnt stay there long.

Seem to remember fitzsimons been a bit pricey for a pint of bulmers too.

I hope more and more pubs close down. Greedy cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Was in Paris about 2 weeks ago. Charged 8.50 for a pint of Carlsberg. And it wasn't even in a tourist area or was it an Iroish Pub!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

Was in for a few pints after work in Dicey Rileys on Harcourt St. The first round I bought the lager was 5 euro a pint (cant remember cost of shorts but ok) - pretty good methinks. Goes for a second round at 8:03p.m. and all prices increased by 1 euro (from 8pm) - 6euro for lager. So the moral of the story is to get your round in before 8 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

all pubs must now display their prices - time to start checking out this first before being ripped off from now on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

bryanjf wrote: »
    i'm a barman, i've a degree.

sounds like it's other people that have the attitude

4 for a pint in me local, not too bad, but €6 for a pint bottle GTFO

Is it an 'Arts' degree by any chance.

"Syzlak you old boozehound":D

Was in Paris about 2 weeks ago. Charged 8.50 for a pint of Carlsberg. And it wasn't even in a tourist area or was it an Iroish Pub!!!!

Beer in Paris is ALWAYS very expensive , always has been ... because basically the French don't drink it , or at least not like we on these Islands do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

In Korea. The normal price of a 3/4 of a pint (they say its a pint glass but it isn't) of guinness (its black, has a creamy head and claims to be guinness) here is about 12000 won which at the current exchange rate is just over 6 euro. The currency has plummeted the last few months so really it should be more then that.

When i originally came here last year it was 10 yoyo

I repeat my question , and it's still a valid...

We all know the pubs in central Dublin that rip you off ( most of them have been named here , for example Cafe Insane, most pubs in Temple Bar etc )

So why do we keep going ?

If these pubs had a significant drop in trade then they would drop their prices .It's call supply and demand .

I would bet if you went into any of these pubs on Friday/Sat night then they will be jammed to the rafters , and not all of these people will be visitors to these shores.

STOP GOING TO THESE PUBS

I hate them anyway , but that's personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Is it an 'Arts' degree by any chance.

"Syzlak you old boozehound":D

no it's a Bcomm

What you should've said was:

"is it an Arts "degree"?"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if hotels and resteraunts have stars why not have a system like that for boozers

lets say theres a euro symbol system for drink prices based on their printed price list that they have to display prominently outside the boozer..ie the likes of cafe en seine have to display five euro symbols to show that they're a rip off. That'd soften they're cough

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bambi wrote: »
    show that they're a rip off.
    Pubs should be shouting if they are not a ripoff, I just started a thread in bargain requests, hopefully find some
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58043321#post58043321

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I repeat my question , and it's still a valid...

We all know the pubs in central Dublin that rip you off ( most of them have been named here , for example Cafe Insane, most pubs in Temple Bar etc )

So why do we keep going ?

If these pubs had a significant drop in trade then they would drop their prices .It's call supply and demand .

I would bet if you went into any of these pubs on Friday/Sat night then they will be jammed to the rafters , and not all of these people will be visitors to these shores.

STOP GOING TO THESE PUBS

I hate them anyway , but that's personal taste.

I gave up going to sh!te rip off pubs a long time ago but must admit that even among my friends I am the rarity.

As you say, if people didn't pay they couldn't charge it

Advertisement