Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

i paid 8.60 for a peach schnapps and 7up in the best western hotel, just off o'connell street. its disgraceful. diceys is a rip off too!!
    i was in cassidy's on westmoreland street and got a pint of bulmers and pint of coors light for a tenner. not too bad considering its in the city.

drink is such a rip off in town i usually bring my own with me!!!! saves a fortune and saves waiting for ages at the bar too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

€6.50 for Budvar in Cafe en Seine
    €5.90 for Bulmers in Cafe en Seine, although this is to be expected here...
    €4.50 for Heniken in Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 45,521 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If I was charged 6.50 for a pint Id leave it there with them. Not a chance would I pay it.

Pubs only charge what people are willing to pay

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If I was charged 6.50 for a pint Id leave it there with them. Not a chance would I pay it.

Pubs only charge what people are willing to pay

Lol. There was rugby on and it was cold hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

6:50 for a pint bottle of bulmers in eamonn dorans.

No bulmers on tap.

Ive noticed they dont tend to have anything decent on tap so they can sell you their overpriced bottles.

Dont see how people can frequent a kip that behaves like that often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Was in the Westbury Hotel on Friday night and my friends paid 10.50e for a glass of wine!! wtf? :eek:

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Was in the Westbury Hotel on Friday night and my friends paid 10.50e for a glass of wine!! wtf? :eek:

OH HO!! Insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

bmcgrath wrote: »
    OH HO!! Insane!

2 glasses of wine and a pint of Guinness for 27e!

Barman got an earful but he just said "I don't price them"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Paid €6.50 for a pint bottle of bulmers in the Church on Jervis street, haven't been back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

bmcgrath wrote: »
    €5.90 for Bulmers in Cafe en Seine, although this is to be expected here...

Complete rip off but have to be honest I'd have expected worse in Cafe en Seine (€6+ for cider)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

ok, slightly off topic but here goes.

€2 for a glass of cow juice for the nephew in O'Keefes in Kilcock on Saturday :P

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    €2 for a glass of cow juice

Lol "Cow Juice" Love It. Anyways fecking dashes are the biggest rip off was out in Waterford City last tuesday night with the woman and she was on the peach schnapps at 5.65 a pop but the dash of blackcurrent was feckin 1 feckin 20 for fecks sake thats more than a bottle of mi wadi costs (well I'd say it is anyway not sure). And to the people saying well just dont go to these places if i had a choice I wouldnt but thats were the crowd of friends go so what can you do go out alone, besides 90% of the pubs in cities and towns are charging these prices now and if you do decide to drink in the country pubs its a bitch to get home. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

SteveC wrote: »
    What about all of the pubs that increase their prices after a certain time at night?
    Are they supposed to put up new price lists?
    Good point, I noticed that many of the pubs in Temple Bar dont display their prices on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

Lol "Cow Juice" Love It. Anyways fecking dashes are the biggest rip off was out in Waterford City last tuesday night with the woman and she was on the peach schnapps at 5.65 a pop but the dash of blackcurrent was feckin 1 feckin 20 for fecks sake thats more than a bottle of mi wadi costs (well I'd say it is anyway not sure). And to the people saying well just dont go to these places if i had a choice I wouldnt but thats were the crowd of friends go so what can you do go out alone, besides 90% of the pubs in cities and towns are charging these prices now and if you do decide to drink in the country pubs its a bitch to get home. :confused:

Lets face it us Waterford People basically have a Monopoly when it comes to pubs & nightclubs-the two nightclus in the city are owned by the one person and where the crowds go are owned by this person as well. Lets face it they own all the establishments on a certain corner in the city which is where the crowds are. Makes me very :mad: because he is highly overpriced and tbh none of his staff have very much customer service. oh and before people jump to the conclusion she was drunk... i often drive so am totally alcohol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

deise gal wrote: »
    Lets face it us Waterford People basically have a Monopoly when it comes to pubs & nightclubs-the two nightclus in the city are owned by the one person and where the crowds go are owned by this person as well. Lets face it they own all the establishments on a certain corner in the city which is where the crowds are. Makes me very :mad: because he is highly overpriced and tbh none of his staff have very much customer service. oh and before people jump to the conclusion she was drunk... i often drive so am totally alcohol free.

Couldnt agree more. Harveys is a good spot not owned by that particuallargroup but still overpriced. At least they have deal or no deal there on a Thurday night I won e100 plus a free drink a couple of weeks ago paid for the night out and the brekie rolls the neck day woo hoo. I do think however an investigation into price fixing should be opened up I rember a few years back there was the 3 euro club in sheffs then masons and that all but disappeared :confused: And now all competing pubs are the same price

I was in Taffee's in Galway. Ordered a southern comfort and pepsi. It came to near 9 euros! I then went to Sally Longs shortly afterwards and it came to just over 6 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

Couldnt agree more. Harveys is a good spot not owned by that particuallargroup but still overpriced. At least they have deal or no deal there on a Thurday night I won e100 plus a free drink a couple of weeks ago paid for the night out and the brekie rolls the neck day woo hoo. I do think however an investigation into price fixing should be opened up I rember a few years back there was the 3 euro club in sheffs then masons and that all but disappeared :confused: And now all competing pubs are the same price

yeh harveys is a good spot but at the weekend you have to be 21! oh i wasnt in the drinking scene back when shefflins was around:( but even for students to go out(a student of WIT) it is a rob to go out in Waterford compared to other student cities. Oh god and the bad thing is that us waterford people cant really do much about the problem.:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nearvada

Last night, a €10 note for a smithwicks plus a corona at The Brazen Head :mad:. Place was overcrowded and we had to sip on the terrace. Tourist trap.

I tell you that I rather recommend this nice lil pub next to Glasnevine graveyard where you get a friendly welcome and can drink on 19th century seamstress tables. That means real pub to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,521 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    2 glasses of wine and a pint of Guinness for 27e!

Barman got an earful but he just said "I don't price them"

where was this? Paris??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

O'Neills in Suffolk Street, €5.65 for a bottle of Corona !!!! A f-ing disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

rarnes1 wrote: »
    where was this? Paris??:eek:

It could be the Clarence hotel. I was there recently and it was around €10 for a glass of wine and €7 for a Guinness.

Nice service and nice bar but... I dunno, kinda pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

nearvada wrote: »

I tell you that I rather recommend this nice lil pub next to Glasnevine graveyard where you get a friendly welcome and can drink on 19th century seamstress tables. That means real pub to me.

bar staff aren't friendly there, they're cranky ignorant c**ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

Dandelions on Stephens Green charge over €6 for everything after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

€5.90 for a pint of miller / Carlsberg with lunch in Cafe Insane.
    Later that evening after work €5.00 for a pint of Carlsberg in The Duke.

90c in the difference and there is about 200 yards distance between the two.

In Leitrim,a pintof Guinness/Smithwicks is only 3.70 and Miller/Bud/Heineken/Carlsberg/coors is only 4.20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Was charged an insane €5.20 for a pint of Guinness in Harveys Waterford City last night.

€3 for putting your jacket in their cloakroom aswell complete ripoff for a crap pub in waterford city:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Donoghues on Suffolk St, pint of guinness 4,90, not bad considering ive been charged normally 5.40 - 5.70 in the city centre pubs, plus - that pub has the best pint in the city centre in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭rkevin

busker brown galway cost 5.50 a pint. ran out of glasses and when i asked where was the glass for the bottle of coke w2008 was worst
    they could not be bothered in getting a dj and did no count down to the newyear.
    what a crap bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Great thread! Keep 'em coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Tippex wrote: »
    €5.90 for a pint of miller / Carlsberg with lunch in Cafe Insane.
    Later that evening after work €5.00 for a pint of Carlsberg in The Duke.

90c in the difference and there is about 200 yards distance between the two.

I have to go to Cafe Enseine tonight. Load of balls. It's a friends birthday so I've no choice.

Also Dandelion are rip off merchants. I once went there for a work do, and ordered a Heineken - €6. I said "are you serious?" and his reply was, yeah it's free in. I said there's plenty of pubs/clubs that are free in and don't charge €6 for a pint. This is a rip off, and I'll be leaving after this pint. ****.

Advertisement