Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF PINTS!!! Name And Shame The Pubs Where You Were Ripped Off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    I have to go to Cafe Enseine tonight. Load of balls. It's a friends birthday so I've no choice.

Also Dandelion are rip off merchants. I once went there for a work do, and ordered a Heineken - 6. I said "are you serious?" and his reply was, yeah it's free in. I said there's plenty of pubs/clubs that are free in and don't charge 6 for a pint. This is a rip off, and I'll be leaving after this pint. ****.
    6 quid for a pint. Jesus i would have gone mental. Thats a crazy price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

seanybiker wrote: »
    6 quid for a pint. Jesus i would have gone mental. Thats a crazy price

Once my co-workers arrived, I convinced them to leave. Funny, I went into the Four Seasons hotel before the Top Gear live show and we managed to blag our way into the bar - it was closed to hotel guests only.

Chicken and bacon sandwich - €18 or something, but the pints if I remember were reasonable. The sandwich is to be expected in a place like that I suppose. It also was the best sandwich I've ever eaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

€4.80 for a pint of Guinness and €5.40 for a bottle of 330ml Bulmers Light in The Ferryman off Macken St, Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Dear God people you really are getting shafted. In Belfast you will pay €2.50 in a normal bar for a pint of guiness, in the trendy bars it would €3.

In witherspoons you can even get a pint for €1, and a fry for only €2

I know it might be a bit far to go for pint, but you should consider a short break in northern ireland, its extremly cheap with the low pound. You can get a hotel room in Belfast for €60. We stopped killing each other ages ago, and we are generally a friendly bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Tippex wrote: »
    €5.90 for a pint of miller / Carlsberg with lunch in Cafe Insane.
    €6.20 for a bottle of Corona in there! I dunno did he charge me for the slice of fackin lime aswell or what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

how many of seen esp over christmas, the pubs the bought cases of miller, bud, etc up north and sold them in their pubs for 4.50EUR.
    And the best bit is on the side of the bottle of miller was "not for individual resale"

Bought up north for 70-80 cent a bottle and sold in the pubs down south for 4.50+

Gurrrr.
    I wouldnt have minded if they sold the bottles cheaper as they were getting them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Publicians can legally buy boxes of Miller, Bud, Heineken etc When they are on sale for 17.99 - 21.99 per box in the likes of tesco and super-valu and resell them in thier pubs and can even get a VAT docket and claim the vat back on them. Alot of the super markets only allow a certain number per customer but this is easy to get around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Imported alcohol from other EU states is only supposed to be used for personal use unless you're gonna pay the excise!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

By contrast over in the UK........

Wetherspoon is reducing the prices on five drinks at its pubs across the UK.

The price reductions will start on Monday January 5 and run indefinitely.

The pubs will also be offering five different meals at all times for £2.99, in addition to their regular menu.

Wetherspoon's Chief Executive John Hutson said: "People enjoy going to the pub, however, we appreciate that the economic downturn means that they now have to be more careful with their money.

"We believe that our new food and drink prices will allow people to enjoy a visit to a Wetherspoon pub without it costing them too much.

"Unlike most sales that start in January, our offers will not be ending within days, but will run indefinitely."

The pubs will offer a pint of Greene King IPA for 99p, a bottle of San Miguel for 99p, a bottle of Blossom Hill Rose for £4.99, a single measure of Sailor Jerry rum (and mixer) for £1.29 and a bottle of Jacques cider for £3.99.

The five meals available at £2.99 are; cottage pie, chips and peas (made with British beef), ham, eggs and chips (Wiltshire ham, served with two fried free-range eggs), sausages, baked beans and chips (award-winning Lincolnshire sausages), spicy tomato pasta and jacket potato and tuna mayonnaise with a salad.

Mr Hutson said: "We are offering leading brands of drinks at excellent prices and the choice means that there is something on offer to suit most tastes.

"We believe that the five meals offer outstanding quality and value too."

"As always our staff will serve customers responsibly."

TERMS & CONDITIONS– NEW DEAL

*Subject to local licensing hours and availability at participating freehouses. Prices and products are applicable to each pub and may vary by location. Free mixer excludes Red Bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

Imported alcohol from other EU states is only supposed to be used for personal use unless you're gonna pay the excise!

Yes I am aware of this I was just referring to Ireland. Sorry I should have made that clearer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gurramok wrote: »
    €5.40 for a bottle of 330ml Bulmers Light in The Ferryman off Macken St, Dublin.
    Thats €9.29 per pint, avoid longnecks at all cost!

What I am shocked at is how there has not been a huge rise in BYOB restaraunts. My sister and her mates use to go with vodka & coke and stay all night eating. You basically can be getting free food all night with the savings you make on bringing your own, even taking corkage into account.

I also imagine more shebeens will open up. I was in a 2 dodgy after hours places years back when a mate in the restaraunt industry worked in town.

abakan wrote: »
    how many of seen esp over christmas, the pubs the bought cases of miller, bud, etc up north and sold them in their pubs for 4.50EUR.
    I have bought UK type bottles in tesco here before. The VAT & Duty could well be paid on it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 charly45

Winters in Dundrum yesterday Euro8.50 for a glass of sauvignon blanc!:eek:only realised after i had sipped as we were waiting for a pint of guinness to settle before paying!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

€9.10 for a hot whiskey and regular coffee in Church pub in dublin. Was I charged for the boiling water as a mixer or something? The place was freezing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

McGowans in Phibsborough. Something like 5.60 a pint and you have to pay €6 or €7 just to walk into the pub and you're not even in a good location! :eek: I'm never going back there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Eamon Dorans, they don't sell Bulmers on draught (even though they have a tap advertising it) only sell pint bottles for €6 a go!!!

I had an argument with the manager about it :mad:

Best thing about the place is the pizza.

abakan wrote: »
    And the best bit is on the side of the bottle of miller was "not for individual resale"

Bought up north for 70-80 cent a bottle and sold in the pubs down south for 4.50+

Gurrrr.
    I wouldnt have minded if they sold the bottles cheaper as they were getting them cheaper.

Something to watch out for: a mate of mine works in the customs, they recently found a LOT of pubs were buying dodgy "vodka" and selling it at top whack (I'm sure this has been going on for years but seems more widespread now)

So next time you order a vodka and coke or whatever be sure to ask for your brand of vodka by name, otherwise you'll get whatever swill they bought on the cheap (unless of course they've poured the cheap gear into the smirnoff bottle lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I have a slightly different angle on this.... I actually don't drink so end up in pubs on minerals etc and am usually the designated driver...

>>ANY<< pub I've tried to avail of this scheme on: http://www.designateddriver.ie/ have just ignored me.... and in some cases been quite rude/abusive...

-A

aloleary wrote: »
    I have a slightly different angle on this.... I actually don't drink so end up in pubs on minerals etc and am usually the designated driver...

>>ANY<< pub I've tried to avail of this scheme on: http://www.designateddriver.ie/ have just ignored me.... and in some cases been quite rude/abusive...

-A

Have heard similar stories to yours many times, let's be blunt here, the majority of publicans couldn't care less if we all went off cliffs while drunk driving, the only thing they'd be worried about is a drop (no pun intended lol) in their customer numbers!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dshagins

Here here on ripping off drivers. I was in Wrights cafe bar in Swords on Tuesday night. Had the car with me so i got a bottle of non-alcoholic Erdinger and was charged €6.20 for it. Now €6.20 is scandelous for a bottle of beer even if it is imported but that they are charging the same for a non-alcoholic product as the regular beer is nothing short of robbery since the excise was reduced by half in the last budget

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Was in the local pub recently and was buying spirit and coke (bottled stuff). Got a 200ml bottle instead of the 250ml, but they were the same price as before. Wouldn't mind it too much but I'd usually get to use the coke for 2 spirits, but it doesn't work with the smaller bottle, use 2 bottles for every 3 spirits now...anybody else notice this??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dshagins

that's also assuming the vulture like staff don't pick off the 1/3 of a bottle of coke mistaking it for an empty

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

deise gal wrote: »
    yeh harveys is a good spot but at the weekend you have to be 21! oh i wasnt in the drinking scene back when shefflins was around:( but even for students to go out(a student of WIT) it is a rob to go out in Waterford compared to other student cities. Oh god and the bad thing is that us waterford people cant really do much about the problem.:mad::mad:

Think that is illeagal now, if your over 18 you should be allowed in. Something to do with ageist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

There seems to be alot of misconceptions about the law.

You cannot legally change the price of a drink within the license period, ie what it is at 3pm it should be at 10, 11pm etc until close. A law was introduced to stop happy hours but its effect also meant the prices had to stay the same throughout opening hours. Therefore the 3pm price would be deemed a promotion, now illegal.

You could not either have a large sign advertising prices as this would be seen as encouraging Binge Drinking.

Its illegal to refuse anyone over 18 admission on grounds of Age.

Coke who run the designated Driver programme usually check up on premises to see all staff are aware, but you must be a designated Driver of a party of four at least, its not Free soft Drinks, only if you can show you are driving others, and there is a limit on the amount in any given night, plus it runs over Xmas only. If you have been refused in genuine case, you should report the venue to Coca Cola.

Drinks companies are not going to challenge the Government too much on Duties etc, which make up alot of the prices, as they are now creaming in Off Sales with much less hassle than onsales with even less regulation.

Having said that its possible to get €3 drinks in Letterkenny on different nights in both Pubs and Clubs, that is also caused by the Northern Ireland Sterling situation and competition.

Were Dubliners to vote with their feet, pubs would have to reduce to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

5 euro for a pint of guinness in the temple bar pub before 11pm.......5.50 after 11.......wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dshagins wrote: »
    non-alcoholic Erdinger and was charged €6.20 for it. Now €6.20 is scandelous for a bottle of beer even if it is imported but that they are charging the same for a non-alcoholic product as the regular beer is nothing short of robbery since the excise was reduced by half in the last budget
    It is expensive, but if you think about it non-alcoholic products do tend to cost more in pubs. A pint of coke would be €8.40 in my local.
    ABEasy wrote: »
    Was in the local pub recently and was buying spirit and coke (bottled stuff). Got a 200ml bottle instead of the 250ml, but they were the same price as before
    I have never seen a 250ml bottle of coca cola in Ireland, always only the 200ml contour ones.
    There seems to be alot of misconceptions about the law.

You cannot legally change the price of a drink within the license period, ie what it is at 3pm it should be at 10, 11pm etc until close. A law was introduced to stop happy hours but its effect also meant the prices had to stay the same throughout opening hours. Therefore the 3pm price would be deemed a promotion, now illegal.
    You have a misconception yourself! the price can change during the day, but it can only go up. This is very common practise in late night bars with no cover charge, and some do it along with a cover charge too.

20.—(1) A licensee shall not supply intoxicating liquor on the licensed premises at a reduced price during a limited period on any day.

(2) In subsection (1), "reduced price" means a price less than that regularly being charged for the intoxicating liquor during an earlier period after 10.30 a.m. (12.30 p.m. on a Sunday) on the day concerned.

(3) A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence under this section and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding—

(a) for a first offence, €1,500, or
    (b) for a second or any subsequent offence, €2,000.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2003/en/act/pub/0031/sec0020.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭poolfan

charged €5.10 for a bottle of heinken in the dail bar in galway the other night. bloody expensive!!! not goin back there in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dshagins wrote: »
    Here here on ripping off drivers. I was in Wrights cafe bar in Swords on Tuesday night. Had the car with me so i got a bottle of non-alcoholic Erdinger and was charged €6.20 for it. Now €6.20 is scandelous for a bottle of beer even if it is imported but that they are charging the same for a non-alcoholic product as the regular beer is nothing short of robbery since the excise was reduced by half in the last budget
    The making of non alcoholic beer is more costly than alcoholic beer. The beer needs to be distilled at the end of the normal process to make it non alcoholic. This adds significantly to it's price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭deise gal

ABEasy wrote: »
    Think that is illeagal now, if your over 18 you should be allowed in. Something to do with ageist.

i may just have to have a little word some night so:DAlthough a the moment Waterford City is so quiet i'd say they would gladly take anyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

By contrast over in the UK........

Wetherspoon is reducing the prices on five drinks at its pubs across the UK.

The price reductions will start on Monday January 5 and run indefinitely.

The pubs will also be offering five different meals at all times for £2.99, in addition to their regular menu.

Wetherspoon's Chief Executive John Hutson said: "People enjoy going to the pub, however, we appreciate that the economic downturn means that they now have to be more careful with their money.

"We believe that our new food and drink prices will allow people to enjoy a visit to a Wetherspoon pub without it costing them too much.

"Unlike most sales that start in January, our offers will not be ending within days, but will run indefinitely."

The pubs will offer a pint of Greene King IPA for 99p, a bottle of San Miguel for 99p, a bottle of Blossom Hill Rose for £4.99, a single measure of Sailor Jerry rum (and mixer) for £1.29 and a bottle of Jacques cider for £3.99.

The five meals available at £2.99 are; cottage pie, chips and peas (made with British beef), ham, eggs and chips (Wiltshire ham, served with two fried free-range eggs), sausages, baked beans and chips (award-winning Lincolnshire sausages), spicy tomato pasta and jacket potato and tuna mayonnaise with a salad.

Mr Hutson said: "We are offering leading brands of drinks at excellent prices and the choice means that there is something on offer to suit most tastes.

"We believe that the five meals offer outstanding quality and value too."

"As always our staff will serve customers responsibly."

TERMS & CONDITIONS– NEW DEAL

*Subject to local licensing hours and availability at participating freehouses. Prices and products are applicable to each pub and may vary by location. Free mixer excludes Red Bull.

yeah i was in England over the Xmas and New Year and Wetherspoons are brilliant so cheap compare to this rip off country, why can't they open pubs over here?

I know it was discussed before but it never happened, surely if enough people registered interest then they might again consider the idea, they would clean up here with their low prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jonny68 wrote: »
    yeah i was in England over the Xmas and New Year and Wetherspoons are brilliant so cheap compare to this rip off country, why can't they open pubs over here?

I know it was discussed before but it never happened, surely if enough people registered interest then they might again consider the idea, they would clean up here with their low prices.
    They bought a large premesis on Capel Street in 2003 but sold it soon after the change in the licensing laws that same year. I can't see how they would have been able to operate their UK model here given the restriction on 'Happy Hour' promotions here.

Advertisement