Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealers different prices

Options
  • 10-10-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

So the story is, I was looking at a second hand car recently, Nice car and really interested. Got quoted a price for trade in or straight sell, not the best prices but anyways. First I was surprised at how unwilling to budge from his figure he was and then to make it even more interesting, within a matter of days my girlfriend goes in over same car and is quoted 1000euro less then me. I really feel so pissed with this place and am in no rush to buy..
    How can they be so stupid in todays market, can they afford to be so stuborn with a customer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Could be on account of a specific margin he must make.

For instance the stuff I sell is on a margin. My boss will not let me sell it for less but currently our warehouse is full of crap so he made up a Stock Clearance list with special prices. Some of the stuff I was selling today for 8K was now clearing at 5K because we had it for too long and the auditor only see's(in our case) the age versus the landed price.

Long story short, the longer we have our stuff the cheaper it gets.

His boss may have changed the margin in the car so he could sell it less or did you GF wear a low cut top or short skirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Second hand car prices are being revised on a daily basis - much like the stock market. Dealers can't shift the stock on the forecourt so any deal is possible.

If it's a main dealer then it's important that they shift second hand stock in order to take in new stock in order to keep within the limit set by their finance provider.

Deals will change daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

crosstownk wrote: »
    Deals will change daily.

+1

Also, with regards to the stubbornness, I often find myself in the situation where I'm stonewalling a customer.

Customer says "give me your best price". I give the best price I can (there's always a €2-300 more in my pocket incase they're asking for full tank of fuel or other sweetners).
    Once I give my best price, they ask can I drop it by a grand.

If someone looks me in they eye and asks directly for the no haggle best price, I'll presume that they're not interested in the "game" of the negotiation and I do the best I can.

If someone says "best price, no negotiation" and then tries to negotiate, I've got nowhere to go. I can shave a few hundred quid off, but nothing of substance.

Also, if someone comes to me and says they want the rock-bottom price, but they're not buying that day and they have other dealers to visit, then I won't give my best price.

In short, imho, it depends on the circumstances of the negotiation as well as the stock itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AudiChris wrote: »
    +1

If someone looks me in they eye and asks directly for the no haggle best price, I'll presume that they're not interested in the "game" of the negotiation and I do the best I can.

In short, imho, it depends on the circumstances of the negotiation as well as the stock itself.

I would generally do this. I'm not into the bull ****. Usually I will just offer X amount of cash and if they bite they bite and if not then I'll walk away.

Generally I'm the one responsible for getting cars for me, GF and the mother and soon enough the little bro and generally buy from the same 2/3 dealers. Have also been out with friends to buy and recommended the guys I have bought from.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AudiChris wrote: »
    +1

Also, with regards to the stubbornness, I often find myself in the situation where I'm stonewalling a customer.

Customer says "give me your best price". I give the best price I can (there's always a €2-300 more in my pocket incase they're asking for full tank of fuel or other sweetners).
    Once I give my best price, they ask can I drop it by a grand.

If someone says "best price, no negotiation" and then tries to negotiate, I've got nowhere to go. I can shave a few hundred quid off, but nothing of substance.

Also, if someone comes to me and says they want the rock-bottom price, but they're not buying that day and they have other dealers to visit, then I won't give my best price.

I think it all boils down to what is considered the "best" price. Is your best price or what the customer considers the best price? Very rarely is it the same for both, its all about compremise.

Personally myself I always like to sweeten the deal a little more. I'm not interested in a free tank of fuel or car mats, I can buy them myself, I want the savings in my pocket Say you tell me xx amount is your best price and I say well I am willing to go to within €500 of your price. But after a bit of humming and head shaking by both of us we agree to split the difference and meet at €250 below your price but above my price. In my experience this works 9 out of 10 times, you still have a little give in your price and I offer just below what I consider the maximum I am willing to pay.

In my experience if a dealer's best price is something like a €1000 over what I am willing to pay I am not even going to try and haggle as I know that a dealer is not just going to drop that much. It would give me the impression that he intially was trying to rob me or though he was dealing with a fool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement