Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder Alarm/cctv/access control course

Options
  • 10-10-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi,
    I work in IT am very low paid, jobs in my area for IT are not great, so i am thinking about getting out of it. I have a national certificate in computer electronics and I am looking to do courses in cctv/intruder alarm/ access control installations. I am thinking of doing them from here

http://www.chevrontraining.net/monitor/index.htm

I'm just at a stage, where I am sick of working for pennies and although I like my job( on road engineer) it doesn’t pay the bills, has anyone done this course, or does anyone work in this area? or any advice from electricians or anyone in general

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Looking at that website you show it says:
    Unique opportunity to do the Intruder Alarm or CCTV course in just one week

and
    We are also offering a one day introductory electrical course specifically designed for people with no electrical background what-so-ever. This course teaches participants the basics in electrics, to allow them proceed to the CCTV and/or Alarm courses.

So that amounts to 6 days training to take you from no electrical experience what-so-ever to being able to install an intruder alarm and CCTV system.

I agree that with that amount of training it is possible to learn enough to be able to do just that to a basic level. However the fact that only 6 days training is required will be reflected in the pay! In general the harder it is to achieve a technical qualification the more pay you can expect. Modern alarm systems are designed to be simple to install, program and fault find.

A call out at 4am is not very nice either!

I am an electrician and I completed a one day training course and that plus asking advice was enough for me to get started. If you have a basic understanding of electrics there is not that much to it. Over time I just became faster.

There are many alarm installers out there and some may make reasonable money, but they would have plenty of experience. The ones that make the best money tend to own the business themselves.

In Ireland no technical qualifications are required whatsoever to be an alarm installer.

IMHO this is one reason that the standard can be so poor at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

hi fishdog, really appreciate your reply, I have read some of your other post on another about electricans getting degrees. I will tell you abit about myself I am 31, I have a national certificate in computer electronics.when i finished, i worked in IT for a few years in Dublin. then went abroad for a while returned to ireland, worked on the sites before returning to donegal to get a job with an IT service company.doing callout to schools, mainly small businesses and home users.my take home was around 440, no company van or phone., but they have recently taken me to 350 as they said they cannot afford to pay those wages.I know electricans in dublins who were getting around 700 a week when i was on the sites. so you can see my dilema, I need to get a job that pays alot more than what i am getting at the moment,even if i was to start on 400 on alarms etc. it would be better than what i have now,I'm just sick of IT and all the broken promises,I need a change of direction, it does'nt pay unless your working in Dublin and at that most people on sites will be earning alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

I am willing to put in the time and effort and read as much as possible, I already am trying my best to learn as much as I can before thinking about doing the course,If it means working for less money to start off with, I am prepared to do that as long as I know that I can make a career out of it. just stuck in a rut at the moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Perhaps you can get someone to take you on and train you up rather than pay for the course and loose a weeks wages while you do the course. Once you demonstrate that you are competent you could look for a wage increase.

The easiest alarm to install is the Astec. They give out free installation manuals from their factory outlet in Pearse street. The manuals are designed to teach someone without electrical experience how to wire, connect, test and program the system. I found it very informative. A good way to start is by reading that manual. It will also teach you a certain amount that will apply to other systems. They have a few mock ups there and the guys are very helpful and great for information. I am sure that they would give you a demo.

They used to run free one day installation courses, ring them on 01 6704202. It is a clever way to get people to buy their equipment.

The first house I alarmed was my own. It taught me a lot.

Good luck with it!

Advertisement