Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Irish Oral Question Topics

Options
  • 10-10-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I want to start preparing for my oral. I need to know what type questions they ask. In my french book, they have pages and pages of questions and wondering if there is anything like that for the ol Irish???

THANK YOU!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It's like a conversation. You go in, they sit you down, they ask your name, how you are. They might then ask about your family, or your hobbies, or your school, or what you did last week/summer, what you did for your birthday, what you'll do next week/summer/year, college. Those are basic questions.
    If they ask about your hobbies and you say you play music they might ask you about that. If you have a large family they might ask questions about your siblings. If you live somewhere interesting they might ask you about that. They could ask about how you find school, your favourite subjects. If you like English they might ask about books you like. They might ask about sports.
    Basically you can direct the conversation. If you mention that you like politics or economics or something like that, they'll probably ask you about that.

Technically they can ask you about anything at all, but realistically you're not going to sit down and get asked what you think about the political situation of Guatemala. It's an ordinary conversation with someone you don't know, only they do all the question-asking.

I'm sure there are lists out there, but if you think of basic things - "Where do you live?" "What subjects do you do?" etc... The same sort of things you'd get asked in French, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

There are certain "basic" topics that will almost certainly come up.
    - your name (obviously)
    - where you live (rural or urban)
    - your family (how many brothers/sisters, are they older or younger)
    - your school (do you like it, what subjects do you do, your favourite/least favourite subjects and why you like/dislike them, what will you do after the Leaving Cert)
    - what you'd like to do for a living
    - your hobbies (music, sport, reading, photography, whatever it is you like)

And then you may be asked one or two questions on a more difficult topic. These could include:
    - social problems in Ireland, and your area in particular.
    - politics, what you'd do if you were Taoiseach
    - the current state of the Irish language, is it dying or still very much alive
    - The Leaving Cert - is it a good system, or is there too much pressure on students?

You won't be asked anything ridiculously obscure. And remember you can always tell you're examiner (as Gaeilge, of course ;)) that you're not interested in a certain topic and that you don't wish to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dcfac

Thanks a mill

Fantastic advice!

I was just getting a bit panicky as to what type questions they'd ask... so all I need now to do is ullmhaigh, ullmhaigh agus tuilleadh ullmhaigh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Another thing to note is that the examiners pick up fairly quickly if you are doing HL or OL. If you are weak at speaking it they won't go beyond asking about you, your family etc.

If you get stuck they are usually fairly sound too. I remember my mind went blank when she started asking me about sports I do. Cue the examiner making mad tennis playing motions, her arms akimbo and mouthing "TENNIS" at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Practice your sliochts, easy marks if you get them right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement