Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyway I can get broadband?

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi, Sorry if this has been discussed already but I live in an area surrounded by mountains and I cant get broadband via Eircom or any other company I have asked.Is there any other way that I might not have heard about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

jessie37 wrote: »
    Hi, Sorry if this has been discussed already but I live in an area surrounded by mountains and I cant get broadband via Eircom or any other company I have asked.Is there any other way that I might not have heard about?

what about the mobile broadband? 3 and vodafone and them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

no 3G reception and vodafone have said I cant get it where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

The mobile (3G) broadband is an option, yes, but I'm not sure that it works all that terribly well in remote areas, as the OP suggests hers is. [EDIT: type faster, PdeB!]

Another option is to go with satellite broadband. It's expensive, and not especially fast, but I believe it's better than 3G broadband in terms of availability. A quick search throws up, for example, Micromagic, who claim to offer their service ANYWHERE in the country. Their speeds sound good, but to take full advantage of them, you would want to use the "two-way" service, which does not use your phone line. Sadly, this is €75/month, and there's going to be a hefty installation fee on top of that (price for that, I can't find quickly).

Digiweb also offer Satellite broadband, and are more up front with their staggering installation and equipment costs. Mind you, they're also giving mixed messages, with the banner "Satellite Broadband, covers any location in Ireland!" somewhat weakened by the link "Check if you can get Satellite in your area".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Depends on exactly where yo live. Surrounded by mountains isn't giving us very much to go on.

If you can't get DSL there are a number of other ways of getting some sort of broadband service. Given that your surrounded by mountains I'll assume you live in a remote rural area meaning cable is out the window. If you can't get a 3g signal then that's mobile broadband out of the question. That leaves you with wireless & satellite.

Try contacting the major wireless providers Digiweb, IBB etc. & see if they cover your area. If not try looking for a small local wireless provider in your area. Other than that your stuck with satellite i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Its worth checking all the mobile providers - such as O2 - you can find 3G coverage where you least expect it.
    As has been said - wireless providers might be you best option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Check permanet.ie
    They offer wireless services and their masts are on mountains..What county are you in?

pdebarra wrote: »
    Another option is to go with satellite broadband. It's expensive, and not especially fast, but I believe it's better than 3G broadband in terms of availability. A quick search throws up, for example, Micromagic, who claim to offer their service ANYWHERE in the country. Their speeds sound good, but to take full advantage of them, you would want to use the "two-way" service, which does not use your phone line. Sadly, this is €75/month, and there's going to be a hefty installation fee on top of that (price for that, I can't find quickly).

Digiweb also offer Satellite broadband, and are more up front with their staggering installation and equipment costs. Mind you, they're also giving mixed messages, with the banner "Satellite Broadband, covers any location in Ireland!" somewhat weakened by the link "Check if you can get Satellite in your area".
    I can't get satellite, my line of sight is blocked by a railway bridge, couldn't get Sky for that reason. Looks like I can't get DSL either due to a substandard phone line (though I intend to make them fix it), which leaves me with either 3G, Ripwave or Clearwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

ur best bet if you don't have 3g or good bb phone lines.. is satellite.. what u gotta do is try the different satellite companies.. if you can't get sky you gotta steer clear of the companies who use the astra satellites... you might be better contacting some of the other european satellite companies who have different orbits to the astra satellites... or you could locate the satellite dish away from ur house where line of site is available to astra sats.. and u could cable it or wifi it to your home..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Karsini wrote: »
    I can't get satellite, my line of sight is blocked by a railway bridge, couldn't get Sky for that reason. Looks like I can't get DSL either due to a substandard phone line (though I intend to make them fix it), which leaves me with either 3G, Ripwave or Clearwire.

Sky is at 28.2E, a particular direction & elevation. No-one significant in Ireland uses Astra 2D/2A for Satellite, it's too expensive. Some Astra is at 23.5E or 19.2E, different position. Other common ones are 27.5W, 33E, 39E.

The various Satellite Broadband/Internet services are NOT on this but on various other satellites, so the bridge might not be blocking. Also a Dish does not need to mount on your house. It can even be on a pole on the ground at back or front of garden.

However 3G/HSDPA in Rural area may only be 240k (EDGE on O2) or 170k to 700k (poor 3G/HSDPA) and typically 150ms to 1800ms latency (Satellite is about 850ms fixed latency and has techniques to reduce number of accesses that Mobile phone hasn't so at 250ms on Mobile the page load time is longer).

Hi cant get o2 edge, ripwire, clearwire or anything like that. Can you tell me how I find out if I can get Sky Broadband is that like the Sky Channels company or completely different thing altogether

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If there is a fixed wireless provider in your area got with them.

If not maybe isdn is your best bet.

Satellite is usually pretty terrible and very expensive.

Thanks for replies, tried them all at this stage! cant afford Satellite. No other option for me but to stick with dial up. You'd think by now everyone would be able to get broadband cheaply and easily.

if you've got isdn... cancel it and get eircom to give you ADSL on the isdn line.. or if you're only hope of internet is isdn.. get it.. keep it for a year then upgrade it to DSL..

sorry wrote that wrong i only have dial up , whats involved in getting ISDN ? And what is ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Icdb wrote: »
    if you've got isdn... cancel it and get eircom to give you ADSL on the isdn line.. or if you're only hope of internet is isdn.. get it.. keep it for a year then upgrade it to DSL..

Haven't eircom stopped selling ISDN?

If not, I'd suggest trying to get it - contact eircom sales.

If the OP's exchange isn't BB enabled, there's no real hope of upgrading to DSL - unless they upgrade the exchange and the poster lives close enough to it.

ADSL is a type of broadband - the most commonly sold broadband in Ireland - (it uses a phone line).

Not at all. ISDN is a good solution for all kinds of things.
    * Mini PABX with 12 direct numbers and two lines : Under 200 Eur
    * Fax server on PC, with voice mail and direct dialback for security to predefined ISDN or analogue numbers

Etc..

ISDN with the right package can also do Internet Data (Internal PCI card is best value) at 64k error free (equivalent to 70 to 90k dialup) or if double phone bill or suitable package, 128k (Equivalent to 150k to 200k dialup in performance).

ADSL is full broadband from eircom... always on... isdn is

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] skiv.GIF ISDN stands for Integrated Services Digital Network. It's simply a digital phone line that allows you to send and receive voice, data, image and video conferencing over the one line; it is of a very high quality and much faster. ISDN offers you 2 channels at 64kbit/s and enables you to make 2 calls simultaneously. ISDN can be used for running many different types of applications; you can use an ISDN line for video conferencing, with an addition of extra equipment. This means that you have "virtual meetings" with colleagues
    all over the world.
    I
    SDN call charges are exactly the same as with your present phone. For Internet access you'll need basic rate ISDN . A PC with a terminal adapter or PC card, and an account with an Internet Service Provider. This gives you 2 communications channels, ideal for small to medium sized businesses.
    [/FONT]

If you use both channels the cost is usually twice normal dialup. Though there can be exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

eircom have their ISDN bumph here

Advertisement