Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Harris Statue Vandalised

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick39s-Harris-statue-damaged-in.4569005.jp

Is their no low that scumbags won't go to?

When I read this story in the Limk Leader, I was really sickened that something that has given decent Limerick people somethng to look at, enjoy, admire (he was a great Limerick man) and have a some discussion about ("Wasn't Dickie taller than that??")

Limerick's "few bad eggs" have scored again.

"Few" my ar*e!

This town is overrun with scumbags who are ruining everything that we love about Limerick.

Anyway , that's my rant over. Needed to get it off my chest. Thank God for Boards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Im shocked to hear that someone could do such a thing, I really hope they catch the cuprit and name and shame him/her. They should be made pay and be force to carry out the repair work themselve.

Richard Harris, A great man, who should be idolised not vandalised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Not the first time its been vandalised!
    It was already removed to be fixed and cleaned up
    once before.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sums up sociaty as a whole really. Scumbags with too much time on their hands, no proper moral or social upbringing and too many do gooders fighting their cause.

We need radical changes to our judicial system, we need the introduction of boot camps and chain gangs to deal with this filth instead of giving them the dole every week and nice houses to live in.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thats Richard Harris? I always thought it was an ad for Burger King*.

* May not be true

Still. There should be camera on that street. Would it not have picked it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

It was only a matter of time to be honest, however is still pretty dissapointing and upsetting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't scobes, but students. Tuesday night?? Lot of pi$$ed messers about. About 2 years ago when they had loads of planted flowers around Cruises St and O'Connell St I saw a trail of destruction from almost outside Icon as far as Supermacs. Disgusting altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Not looking for any abuse for saying this, just want to state something...

...It must have been a pretty cheap statue if it was able to be snapped like that.

I saw it this morning and the tip that was bent during the week is now just gone.

Bet we'll never see it perfect again. :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Ireland is a pretty lawless liberal country.scumbags can pretty much do what they like without fear to facing the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

concussion wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't scobes, but students. Tuesday night?? Lot of pi$$ed messers about. About 2 years ago when they had loads of planted flowers around Cruises St and O'Connell St I saw a trail of destruction from almost outside Icon as far as Supermacs. Disgusting altogether.

+1...feckin students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

TBH i thought about taking a chisel to it myself once or twice. The grammar on the information plaques is atrocious, commas all over the place.

also, tuesday night = almost definitely students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

agree that it was probly students, im sure everyone has seen the video of students thrashing supermacs. as a student its sickening to watch, especially listening to the english lager lout style chanting, whats even more sickening is watchig girls join in, nice one ladies.
    I guarentee it all started over some feckin stupid GAA rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvbeusGW6s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

**** me! The students are worse than the scumbags.

Their parents must be so proud.. wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It must have been a pretty cheap statue if it was able to be snapped like that.

It wasn't snapped, it was bent. Long, narrow pieces of metal, especially with firm base (in this case the rest of the statue) can be bent quite easily, nothing to do with the quality of the metal. A solution to this would be to insert a flat metal bar down the center of the sword but at 90 degrees to the blade so it resists bending. However to fit such a shank would involve removing the entire sword and probably part of the hand.
    I saw it this morning and the tip that was bent during the week is now just gone.

It was removed with a power tool. Probably by the council to prevent further shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yep I would've thought that this was the work of braindead students alright, the scumbags would be more concerned with shooting people and biting Gardai ears off than vandalising a statue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

On the Leader yesterday it mentioned after speaking to the sculptor that the damage may have been accidental and not vandalism like first thought. Something about the force required to do that damage may have been caused by a van reversing or something,

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

That Supermacs video is ****ing mental... jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

jesus just watched the supermacs video..thats a disgrace! im a student and that just embarresses me i dont mind having a laugh but sheer vandalism is not acceptable.. if they were just chanting and been generally rowdy drunks and havin a laugh.grand.. but throwing things around and basically trashing the place.. its idiots like that who give all students a bad name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mezain

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sums up sociaty as a whole really.
    Sums up Limerick City as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

mezain wrote: »

sums up your mentality as a "hole"!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*enters teacher mode*This poster needs to make more of an effort in their future posts.*exits teacher mode*

And how many of these students are actually from Limerick or are they just attending college here?

Mindless yob behaviour is universal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

And universally drawn to Supermac's I think.

Hopefully they'll fix the statue soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

thought this might be a good reason to get rid of the thing, awful, awful statue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xAingealx

And how many of these students are actually from Limerick or are they just attending college here?

Where's the proof that it was actual students?

There's a camera on the ATM on Bedford, why can't they check that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

xAingealx wrote: »
    Where's the proof that it was actual students?

There's a camera on the ATM on Bedford, why can't they check that?

i think that guy was talking about the vandalism and mini riot in supermacs when he was talking about students.and the people in that video are quite clearly students unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

So, is the video on Youtube or somewhere?

So, is the video on Youtube or somewhere?

Yes, it is :)
    RINO87 wrote: »

I saw the start of it earlier, but without the sound, so I must watch it properly tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

We need radical changes to our judicial system, we need the introduction of boot camps and chain gangs to deal with this filth instead of giving them the dole every week and nice houses to live in.
    Rant over.

bootcamps and chaingangs for vandals and what would you have for more serious crime?? execution maybe? who is to say this was done by a person of the discription you gave IE a "scumbag" maybe this was done by students or drunken rugby jocks!! who knows!!

Advertisement