Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route Dublin -> Cork

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hey all,

i am part of the PA cycle test www.pacycletest.com and over christmas im doing a 2000 mile cycle from lima to santiago in south america!!! pretty extreme i know...really looking forward to it.

for my training im gonna do a few 3-4 day cycles ie. dublin to cork and back.....has anyone done it before and also what route did you take and i am going to be camping with a friend (who is also doing the cycle in south america) so i also wanna know where abouts is a good place to take rest over night.

thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I did Dublin-Cork on back roads earlier this year, description and route here. Did that in 2 days, after work and then a full day the next day.

Next up is Dublin-Galway-Dublin (c. 420km) in under 24 hours, but that will be a team effort, we will take turns drafting I imagine and it should be a cinch.

In terms of general training you should come out on some of the boards spins- but a few multi-day trips are an excellent idea to prepare for this, a lot of touring is in the logistics.

Sounds great, I am very jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scruffy_poc

thats sounds like a challenge dublin - galway - dublin in under 24hrs........the thing is im not a rider at all, although fit, i play division 1 leinster hockey so am cardiovasculary very fit.....realisticly to do 80miles a day 6 days in a row then one day off and another 6 days....how much saddle time will i need???

the only problem with your route is that im hoping to take a more direct route...possibley the whole way out the n7 then cut through to abbeyleix and go on the n8 the whole way to fermoy where you can just use the old road.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You could do the main road to Cork and it would be quicker but what would be the point, it wouldn't be any fun. As well as being potentially dangerous- myself and Raam cycled down to Waterford ahead of the Tour of Ireland, and he was very nearly clipped on the N8 by a HGV through no fault of his own. We were on the main road for I think 2km out of 160km, and that is where it happened.

If you are looking at this as training, no need to take short-cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scruffy_poc

ya its a good point and if we were to cycle your route and cycle 6-7 hours friday where abouts would be get to and how long left would we have

Advertisement