Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Storage Tips for Sailing Dinghys

Options
  • 10-10-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all...............bought a "laser 2" sailing dinghy during the summer................. was stored on a launching trailer at a sailing club for the summer season with a cover.........recently transferred it up to the side of my house and it is now left on a road trailer at the side of my house with a cover.............

Has anyone any storage tips for the boat over the winter to keep it in ship shape?:D

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Take all the rigging you can off the boat and wash the ropes in fresh water before putting them away safely for the winter. It's best to leave only the hull covered and outside if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tom-d

Cheers thanks for that...........better get too it............hope i can put it all back together!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You have pretty much got it there.

Put little 'name tags' on the rigging if you feel you will forget where it goes, or, I am sure that there will be many keen helpers when the sailing seasons opens next year.

I can't remember if a Lazer 2 has self bailers, but I think it has. It might be a good idea to open theses, so that any water that gets into the boat, can drain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Should be out racing in the frostbites, wouldn't have to worry about putting it to bed then!

Only messing, all the above has it covered. Just make sure the sails are washed down with freshwater, dried and kept inside. Mildew is your enemy.

Its probably well put to bed by now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Photograph everything before you take it all apart!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

If the hull finish is in any way good I'd consider getting a bottom cover for it. that could be difficult though cos they havent been making laser 2s for a good few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

breadmond wrote: »
    If the hull finish is in any way good I'd consider getting a bottom cover for it. that could be difficult though cos they havent been making laser 2s for a good few years

http://www.bitz-brands.co.uk/acatalog/Cover_sand_accessories.html

Advertisement