Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best teeth whitening- Dentist treatments only!

• 10-10-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Want to get my teeth professionally whitened.
    I have tried the home methods but didnt like them, I didnt have the patience and the Crest white strips were too uncomfortable and made my mouth water!

I have been looking up prices and light/laser methods look cheapest- about €250. Are these good? The ZOOM methods are about 600 which seems a lot!

The White Smile Clinic charges €250 for laser and the Spy beauty clinic charge €250 for LED.

If anyone has any recommendations it would be great!

BPE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hi bigpinkelephant.
    I get asked a lot by my patients about whitening and which type is best, my answer is based only on my experience and the research articles I have come accross. Each dentist may have a different opinion.
    Firstly you are right only to be considering having this treatment done by a dentist, we use only materials that have a record to show that they do no harm. Let me ask you, would you allow your dentist to cut your hair ?, I doubt anyone would but if he/she did and made a mess of it, your hair would grow back, if you damage your teeth by having treatment done by a beautician/spa/internet purchase, they will not grow back, this damage would be permanent.
    I recommend tray bleaching because:
    1. you use a mild/weak concentration of bleach (less risk of harm).
    2. you have better control over the whiteness of your teeth, when you achieve the colour you want, you stop using it. With zoom/britesmile you can never be sure of the whiteness when the light is switched off.
    3. The results tend to last longer with the tray version, I find it lasts for 2-3 years depending on smoking/black coffee/red wine etc.
    4. In most cases the patient has bleach left over in kit after treatment, so you can top up in future without having to go back to your dentist and without therefore incurring more fees.
    5. I usually have a couple of open kits in the surgery so i tend to give patients a few free syringes of bleach two years after they have treatment. I could not do this if they had to sit in my chair for 2 hours having zoom/britesmile treatment.
    6. If the trays are custom made (essential for best results), provided you do not have any ortho treatment of teeth movement, they will last for years therefore if you have treatment repeated in the future the costs will be less.

I would strongly advise people against buying bleaching products on the internet, you cannot be sure what you are getting, it may be hydrogen peroxide (no longer recommended due to potential for harmfull effects), the concentrations may be too high, custom made trays for your mouth are not included (bleach is washing around your mouth, not a problem if you can be certain it is safe). I read on another listing of some one buying 23% concentration on line and using it, I would never let a patient use this at home, it is far too strong and is used only to "kick start" treatment in the surgery.

As I said this is only my opinion and I accept that others may disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Thanks very much davo10- will probably go with the trays so I can control the colour- I don't want them to be freakishly white like

307F5BA94444A7167A6484F158C3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

I can only comment on the crest whitestrips premium as I have done them twice. They are really good and have left my teeth looking really white for a fraction of cost. Not sure how safe they are but if they are legal to buy over the counter in the states, they can't be that bad.Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sunnydelight

hi

does anyone have names of dentists in south dublin that do the tray bleaching.

thanks in advance

Advertisement