Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cork Winterfest 2008 - LineUp Sounds Bloody Brilliant

• 10-10-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Been given the go ahead to put this together. I have just been doing some searching and found out that the Cork Winterfest 2008 is not to far away. The festival is going to be ran from December 19-21 at An Cruiscin Lan and promises to be an awesome festival. One of my favourite bands, Amon Amarth are on the top of the bill.

The bill looks fantastic. Just trying to garner some interest here on boards to see if anyone would be up for it. I definitely am. It's just too good to turn down. Also it has been brilliantly organised as it falls on a weekend, what more could you ask for?

I thought I would put this here rather than the gigs section as lot of the bands mentioned have been mentioned here in album reviews especially Amon Amarth, Mass Extinction, Mourning Beloveth and Warpath. Please feel free to move if you feel necessary.

Thanking you

Den

http://www.corkwinterfest.com/index.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I have to say it looks very, very tempting. Solid list of bands but I'll have to wait and see what bands are playing on what day. I doubt I'd stay for the whole weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

As soon as a mate told me amon amarth are playing i knew i was going, plus a whole lineup of other metal bands so its gonna kick ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

The lineup does look fantastic. Was checking the Amon Amarth website for tour dates and had consigned myself to despair as they were not coming to Ireland. Imagine the joy I felt reading that they will be in Cork in Dec. Sounds like a terrific festival and can't wait. I wonder will they be doing anything from Twilight of the Thunder God?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

would'nt mind seeing Mass Extinction again,very cool band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

I should be there! We should convince Ex-Inferus to do a reunion gig. Just for the craic and pig's heads. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That sounds absolutely savage tbh. Very tempted to go down for that.

It's great to see this festival is generating a lot of interest. Sounds awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Not going this year, have gone the last two years or so. Think it's an awfully poor lineup tbh. A lot of fillers there and i still don't get the hype around Amon Amarth.

Everyone's jumping around saying how great the lineup is, feel like i've totally missed something here?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I went a few years ago..IIRC t'was the day before christmas eve. Mael Mordha, Sorrowfall and For Ruin were on that weekend... I stayed above in the travellodge for €50 and had a blinder of a weekend.....there's a decent chinese at the corner of the street where the pub is too...(well I survived anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Stand Up Guy and Warpath are the only two bands that I am familiar with that I like, I may go just for them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Good Lineup. Fair play to those behind this.

Just a quick question regarding An Cruiscin Lan. Has anybody ever been there before? Is it a good venue?

Is it me or is the saturday(the day amon amarth are playing) sold out :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Pretty solid line up, would love to go, but its as quick and easy for me to go to Wacken (from Fermanagh, 7hour bus journey is no fun), some exellent bands though.

Seen Carnun Rising at DoD 05 I think it was, excellent band, seen Hallowed there in 07 too, played a blinder. Stand up Guy and Warpath have also impressed in the past. But Mourning Beloveth and Amon Amarth are both just incredible live, would love to see them both again.

DenMan wrote: »
    Just a quick question regarding An Cruiscin Lan. Has anybody ever been there before? Is it a good venue?

Been in it countless times. It's a pretty good venue, very small, small stage, it's quite intimate really.

Léan wrote: »
    Been in it countless times. It's a pretty good venue, very small, small stage, it's quite intimate really.

Was thinking that alright, going by the pics on the website. Looks brilliant.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Léan wrote: »

I have to take issue with your size comment. It can fit over 300 people and that makes it bigger than all other venues in Cork bar the Opera House and The Savoy.

We had 340 in there for Cannibal Corpse sure...

lee_arama wrote: »
    I have to take issue with your size comment. It can fit over 300 people and that makes it bigger than all other venues in Cork bar the Opera House and The Savoy.

We had 340 in there for Cannibal Corpse sure...

I'd still call that small as far as venues go. Don't mean it as a bad thing at all, i love smaller venues.

Smaller venues Rock. Have to say that Academy 3 in Manchester is one of my favourite venues to go to, smallest and has always a brilliant atmosphere.

• Advertisement

Yup anything under a thousand people is really a small venue imo. And the smaller the venue the better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Stadium concerts are for sell-outs! Pub gigs are the ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Been in the Cruiscín before for an Oi Polloi and Freebooters gig. Wasn't really a fan of the place at all. Really dull atmosphere and the layout of the place is pretty terrible...

The Whiskey is the maddest place for gigs in cork though, soooo small yet so good, my bedrooms probably bigger than it but the atmosphere is great.
    Fred Zeppelin's a nice place for gigs too.

For the Winterfest make sure to check out Revolution of A Sun, seriously rocking cork band, insane live. Altar of Plagues are pretty cool too.
    The day the Winterfest get Scald to play is the only time i'll ever go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Just played in the Cruiscin today. Size wise it's pretty good and usually it has a good atmosphere. The Whiskey is great for gigs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sirocco

Hey guys,
    No the Saturday is not sold out (yet). Currently, only weekend tickets and sunday all ages tickets are available for advance purchase. Saturday only and Friday only tickets will be available at the door on the night (as long as they have not sold out as weekend tickets in advance).

There are legitimately only 250 tickets available this year, and around 60% of this are already sold.. in fact our online sales have just about sold out completely. So I would definitely advise to buy tickets soon.

An Cruiscin Lan can fit around 300, but with stalls, zines and the sheer amount of bands, the place would be packed with any more than 250 payers. The size of the venue is indeed "intimate", but thats the way the festival is intended.. you can be guaranteed to meet the bands afterwards for a drink.

for more information, please see www.corkwinterfest.com
    If travelling down, there is a decent amount of information on our "info" page. Anyone in need of cheap accomodation, we have a partnership with Kinlay House Hostel this year. Mention "Winterfest" during your booking process and receive 10% off the price of your stay there (wont cost you more than 15 euros a night anyway).

Looking forward to seeing most of you there.
    Cheers,
    Jim.

Sirocco

Thanks for the great info man. Much appreciated.

Thanks mate.

Advertisement