Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonetta :3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ah boy i hate exams :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xbox Live demo is meant to have a different stage to the PS3 one, so must give that a download!

Getting more and more excited about this - Edge were singing its praises this month,
    including a relatively rare perfect score!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

had a quick go of the demo. its DMC with a bird really which is fine by me. some cool lookin combos. I could just play this making her walk slow all day long. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Played the demo, didn't think it was anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The xbox version has the clocktower prelude stage. Its not in the ps3 demo as it didn't run so well (it runs 'ok' in the full game).

I wouldn't say the demo is a great representation of the game, all you get is a piece of the vigrid stage and it doesn't give you much instruction on what you've got or what you can do.

Better news is the PS3 US (Assume EU/JP) versions of the game will be patched on release. Not by sega but by a sony team. Just have to wait and see what level of improvement they can make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So I just tried the demo...

WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED. :eek::eek:

Crazy awesome japanesey insane nonsense, loved it. Exhilarating and delirious, and I'm a complete stranger to the genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The demo has ruined DMC for me. Its too good for its own good.

Probably will be my GOTY 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Been playing this the last few days as well and gotta say it seems stupidly entertaining. Reading the reviews, it seems that the combat system has so much depth to it.

Cant wait for this. What a weird release date though? Jan 8th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Bump

So who's buying GOTY 2010 tomorrow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've no bloody money for it :( I saw a video of the Space Harrier reference that is in it and want it even more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I walked down to Bray in the ridiculous conditions in the very slight hope that someone would be selling this this evening (hell, breaking street date for this is hardly like the MW2 launch). Gamestop had it out on the shelves for 45 (50 in Smyths and Xtravision, not on sale)! Walked up to the counter with it feverishly, and was told they weren't selling it till the morning.

However, based on the demo and the inherent brilliance of a Platinum game in which you play a witch who uses her hair suit as a weapon, I also declare this as GOTY. Having not played it yet. That is how much confidence I have in this game being the best thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Took me a while to get into the demo... but when I figured out how not to be eaten/killed/dropped to my death by the giant... statue/zeus thing I enjoyed it a lot. Was playing the Ps3 demo and didn't see any issues, even with loading. Probablybecause the demo installs to the HD though.

I like the random boot that pops out of nowhere to... boot enemies. Going by the demo I'd say it's just a fun DMC type game, but I guess there must be a lot more to it judging by the fawning press. Think I'll wait for a price drop though. And see if the PS3 version gets a patch, much prefer the PS3 pad for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Gonna pick this up tomorrow after giving the demo a proper go. Should keep me entertained! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Think I'll wait for a price drop though. And see if the PS3 version gets a patch, much prefer the PS3 pad for this sort of thing.

I normally dislike the PS3 pad, but for games like this it just feels right somehow. (I guess I'm just used to it from Devil May Cry/GoW...)
    Despite that, I'll be avoiding the PS3 version like the plague!

Couldn't resist preordering the special edition from play - should hopefully be with me today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I played the ps3 demo last week and I don't know if I'm missing something but I honestly don't know how this game is getting so much hype\good reviews.

It just played like a mindless button basher with slow down mechanic that allows you to do combos with more button bashing. And with all the sexploitation (ironic or not) it just plays to the stereotype of gamers as all 14 year old boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'm with wayne on this, i downloaded to see what the hype was and thought it was just another loopy Japanese kill-em-all pad destroyer game
    don't get the attraction at all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Played the demo this week and didn't have a clue what was going on.

GOTY.

Its not likely to please everyone. The story is nonsense by design and the learning curve is fairly high.
    It really requires the player to learn the game mechanics, button mashing through it won't lead to a pleasant experience. Added to that the difficulty spikes after a few stages of normal, so you'd really have to at least have a grasp of whats going on or it'd get frustrating, fast.

The demo's ok, but similar to the full game, you start off with a dizzying number of combo's, all of which can be cancelled, split with offsets or staggered. It doesn't really let you know this and it could easily look like complete chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So does anyone know yet how the european PS3 version compares to the xbox version? Did they fix the issues that where in the japanese version, or is it still a better buy on the xbox?

The Euro PS3 version of bayonetta is the same as the japanese version (the japanese version was intended to be a worldwide release version).

Officially neither sony or sega ever said they were definitely working on a patch, a few news sites just made it seem that way.

As of now, the xbox version is a cleaner, smoother version of the game. It still suffers from slowdown and screen tearing but not nearly as bad as the ps3 version. Both are quite playable, but given the option, get the 360. At best a patch for the ps3 version will probably allow the game to be installed to fix the loading.

• Advertisement

Prices anyone?

Prices anyone?

45 in both Gamestop and Smyths (with loyalty card). Both versions.
    Off to play now :)

45 in both Gamestop and Smyths (with loyalty card). Both versions.
    Off to play now :)

Ta muchly, gonna trade in ACII for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I played the ps3 demo last week and I don't know if I'm missing something but I honestly don't know how this game is getting so much hype\good reviews.

It just played like a mindless button basher with slow down mechanic that allows you to do combos with more button bashing. And with all the sexploitation (ironic or not) it just plays to the stereotype of gamers as all 14 year old boys.

According to reviews and prople who have played the game, the demo section is really just a small piece of what you actually do in the game. Theres supposed to be a hell of alot more to the game than whats on offer in the demo.

Just played through the prologue and first chapter (some of which is in the demo, but there are lots of surprises too!) and loving it so far. It definitely isn't a button basher. If you don't keep your eyes on the battle and dodge when you need to, you're in trouble. The combo system is huge, and while yes there may be some mashing of y and b in the more intense battles, you could really utilise the huge variety to get good at the game.

Also impressed at how funny and ridiculous the cutscenes are.
    Got to love a game that opens up with a conversation about the death of Dr Robotnik (Eggman) :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People don't realise that in the DMC and Platinum games if you want to get all the upgrades you have to use different types of combos. You get extra cash or whatever for being as stylish as possible.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People don't realise that in the DMC and Platinum games if you want to get all the upgrades you have to use different types of combos. You get extra cash or whatever for being as stylish as possible.

Indeed, there is constant feedback informing you how good / how **** you are - you are rewarded for skill and knowledge in this game. The medal system is a bit fairer that the likes of DMC - if you're careful, Platinum medals are obtainable. Plus the 'witch time' is handled extremely well - rather than other games were slo-mo is a rare benefit, here it is a constant (but brief) reward for paying attention to whats going on. It is an absolutely wonderful combat system I must say.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Not so much in bayonetta, you can get away with finding a high point combo and spamming it. Changing up your attacks quickly builds the multiplier, but once it reaches 9.9x, you can do what you want, theres no penalty for repeating the same moves (as there is in DMC). Maintaining a combo is the difficult part, its really unforgiving unless you throw in taunts or gunfire between fights.

Indeed, there is constant feedback informing you how good / how **** you are - you are rewarded for skill and knowledge in this game. The medal system is a bit fairer that the likes of DMC - if you're careful, Platinum medals are obtainable. Plus the 'witch time' is handled extremely well - rather than other games were slo-mo is a rare benefit, here it is a constant (but brief) reward for paying attention to whats going on. It is an absolutely wonderful combat system I must say.

Whats upsetting is that platinum isn't the highest medal, pure platinum is.....

• Advertisement

bugs wrote: »
    Whats upsetting is that platinum isn't the highest medal, pure platinum is.....

I've gotten two pure platinum medals, but mostly gold. Didn't know there was separate pure / non-pure platinum!

Advertisement