Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

business and law

• 11-10-2008 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

so i have heard from a reliable source that business and law in ucd is notoriously known to be full of d4 boys and barbies? is this true, lol?
    and what is the course like overall?
    what is rossa fanning like too, again heard from my source he is ment to be funny? any other good lecturers?
    is the course very hard?
    would anyone consider doing the 5th year internationally or 3rd year in europe, plus if you want to, how do you get to?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Don't believe everything you hear.

Notoriety if you as me is 1% truth and 99% fiction. I know plenty of people in B&L who aren't in anyway D4.

Can't comment on the course though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

There are a lot of people from Dublin in B&L, and quite a few who you might classify as D4, but doing so would be a mistake. It's just a reputation we've got about campus, but really it's a small minority who make a lot of noise. Remember, B&L students all have 500+ in the LC, so few Barbies about. Don't dismiss a course on the basis of the people alone, when the course could be what you want to do, B&L is great!

Everyone in my year is really nice, there's a good social life within the course, as well as the multitude of societies et al in UCD.

I'm thinking about doing the 5th year abroad, we haven't been told much about it yet, but I hear competition is fairly high, and it is chosen on the basis of your exam results. There are French lessons in second year for those who are thinking of France or Belgium for 3rd year.

Most of the lecturers are top quality, the most important thing to bear in mind, I would think, is whether you are going to enjoy these subjects, and whether the course is for you. In a campus of more than 20,000 you don't need to be worried about meeting people like you.

Oh, and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me, but I don't really want to discuss lecturers by name in a public forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

B&L has a reputation, yes. But really, it'd be a terrible mistake to choose your course solely on a reputation. You'll find D4 people in B&L, you'll them in BComm and BCL too. Not everyone there will be of that stereotype, and as lemon said, you're bound to find people similar to yourself.

Can't tell you much about what the course is like (I do BCL). B&L still does all of the major areas of law (tort, contract, criminal, etc), cuts out many of the more in-depth ones, and replaces them with the essentials of commerce. Either way, you'd be qualified to sit the King's Inns or Law Society exams upon graduation.

Regards Rossa Fanning, he teaches both B&L and BCL. He does Constitutional Frameworks and Company Law, which are modules BCl students and B&L student sit together. He's a terrific lecturer, both efficient and often hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I'm in first year B+L and really like it so far. There are a lot from the d4 area and they all seem to know each other through friends, sports etc so that was a bit intimidating the first day for someone like me who didn't know anyone! But now that I've made friends it doesn't really bother me.

For semester 1, we're doing macroeconomics, maths and MIS (computers) and law of tort, constitutiona framework and law of contract. The lecturer's are grand and there isn't too much work to be done at this stage.

Rossa's classes are brilliant!

Advertisement