Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Bookstores

Options
  • 11-10-2008 3:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Any decent second-hand bookstores in the city centre?

Interested in buying rather than selling...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Georges Street has a good few. There's the Oxfam just beside the George which does books, further along the street there is one in the fancy building on the same side of the street just after the chipper on the corner (usually has a sandwich board thing outside it so it's hard to miss) and there are a couple of other along there if I remember correctly.

There's one on the street that immediately faces City Hall (just on the South side of the bridge at the end of Caple Street) and another one just off the north side of Caple Street between the Blu Note bar and the UGC cinema (I suck at street names and directions btw in case you haven't noticed)

If you want good second hand bookshops though Rathmines is good, loads of them there and it's not that far outside the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chapters on Parnell Street.
    The Secret Bookshop (and records) on Wicklow Street.
    Oxfam on Parliament Street (better than average charity bookshop).

(IMO Charity Shops tend to have a lot of Mills and Boon type rubbish and unless you're visiting them regularly they are a waste of time.)

Is the Winding Stair up and running again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

As wishbone said, chapters is brilliant, especially for second hand travel guides!! Brilliant!! Also, waterstones in the jervis have a small section dedicated to bargain books, not second hand but at second hand prices.

There is a small, very small market thingy that is set up in temple bar, it may be every sunday??? and they sell all kinds of things, but mainly books.

There is one good one too somewhere on Georges Street - not in the arcade!! but I cant remember the name of it. Small, but very good for decent literature

I think there are a few stall in that arcade place off South Great Georges Street also but it's a while since I've been in there.

I miss Greens! :( - always great for something quirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Chapters is the best by a mile huge selection

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Do any of you know if those places buy/accept second books? I'm moving house and need to get rid of most of my collection :(

Fletch123 wrote: »
    Do any of you know if those places buy/accept second books? I'm moving house and need to get rid of most of my collection :(
    Chapters are fairly fussy and generally only want popular paperbacks. You'd be lucky to get €1/€2 for even a relatively new book. They allow a bit more if you are willing to take a credit note instead.

The charity shops won't buy them.

Advertisement