Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car repairs - dilemma - help please

Options
  • 11-10-2008 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Earlier this week I was rushing around, and unfortunately I had a small accident. I drove my car into a pillar. Tahnkfully there wasn't anybody hurt, and ther was no one else invovled.

My car need fixing up and I need advice please. Its a 10 year old citroen xsara. Silver in colour, and It drives very well. The gearstick can be a little bit stiff at times, but it drives well all the same. I need work done to the front of my car, and these are my options.

Option 1: Theres a bonnet available in a scrapyard some distance away from me. Its a different colour. So if i go for this I'd have to get it sanded down completely, primed then painted. The price would be 80 for the bonnet, and about 150 for the paint. I'll get the lads at home to help me with the job.

Option 2: Theres a garage in dublin that sells new panels. From what I gather the panels don't come painted. Its just the panels. They courier it to you within a day or two of ordering it. I'd still need to get it primed and painted. The bonnet is about 165, 10 euro for courier, and about 150 for paint.

I really don't know which option to go for. And I'd like some advice from all of you good people. Option 2 would be a little bit more expensive but it would be quicker. I could have my car back onto the road for next week. I've got a driving test to prepare for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the car.What part of dublin are you living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

Also I know where i went wrong, so theres no fear of me going out and trashing up my car when its fixed. I also intend on keeping my car of the road for the icy months - jan, feb, march.

My car is the coupe model and its a good looking car aside from some dents, and scratches.

I'm in galway. Hopefully the garage will dilver to galway. Has anybody dealt with mickgarage.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Sorry i taught it was dublin.Ive heard myself alot of good about micks garage so i persume he is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Try a motor factors near you most will supply body panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

darling.x wrote: »
    I'm in galway. Hopefully the garage will dilver to galway. Has anybody dealt with mickgarage.ie

I used him once last year, and was very pleased with the service.

But surely the 2nd hand option would make more sense?

thanks martin. will do more googling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Just ring your local motor factors at nine o clock.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    But surely the 2nd hand option would make more sense?

Yep, it would make sense. I'm more in favour of the most expensive option, becuase it would avoid the hazzle of sanding down an old bonnet. I've been told sanding panels down is a cnutish job. I'd be waiting weeks for the car to get fixed up. I just wanted some opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

try here http://www.summerhillspares.ie/main.htm . I got a silver front bumper for a xsara a few weeks ago. they may have the bonnet too. I know your in galway but I think they will courier parts

• Advertisement
Advertisement