Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Students bar...what's it like now?

Options
  • 11-10-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I went to UCD in 1994 and graduated in 2000. The students' bar was the epicentre of most of the best nights I had there. I absolutely loved the place! The gigs on Thursday nights, DJ's (Billy Nasty at the rag ball of 1995 tops this one!), Groovy Tuesday during rag week...I could go on and on! My memories of the place have never faded and some never will.
    So what's it like now? Is it still a place full of atmosphere or, like many establishments, has it lost it's soul?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It's still full of atmosphere with UCDSU Entertainments gigs held there every week. During the summer the existing seating was refurbished and new seating was installed on the righthand side of the bar (when you go inside). It's really comfortable, they did a excellent job with it.

The hot food counter is still there and there's a cheesy smoothie and sandwich bar. That doesn't seem to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think the seating arrangements are crap!
    It's great for those who get seats, but for those who don't it's just in the way. I really liked the booths.
    That saying there was a great buzz in there the other night with Cathy Davy. Not too many drunks spilling drink everywhere and it seemed like everyone enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

gubbie wrote: »
    I think the seating arrangements are crap!
    It's great for those who get seats, but for those who don't it's just in the way. I really liked the booths.
    That saying there was a great buzz in there the other night with Cathy Davy. Not too many drunks spilling drink everywhere and it seemed like everyone enjoyed it

Weren't the booths just the same in terms of being only good if you get a seat? There were just less of them, so there were less seats. And they were too big, so you couldn't speak to people at the other side...

I prefer the new seats, though with final year and financial doom I haven't been frequenting either that or the forum/centre establishment overly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gebbel wrote: »
    I went to UCD in 1994 and graduated in 2000. The students' bar was the epicentre of most of the best nights I had there. I absolutely loved the place! The gigs on Thursday nights, DJ's (Billy Nasty at the rag ball of 1995 tops this one!), Groovy Tuesday during rag week...I could go on and on! My memories of the place have never faded and some never will.
    So what's it like now? Is it still a place full of atmosphere or, like many establishments, has it lost it's soul?

Oh to have been in UCD when rag weeks mattered!

I like the student bar and think the atmosphere is pretty good. A mate of mine was in DCU the last few years and he said their bar pales in comparison to UCD's one.

I do miss the sports bar though. Anyone else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I do miss the sports bar though. Anyone else? :)
    Yes, dear god yes. So many awesome TKD club nights out started there, and always had a laugh there.

/sheds a tear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The sports bar is sorely missed... Many a great night was had there.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Plus it was open on a sunday evening......

Forum just isn't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I haven't been in the Student bar this year, how much have they refurbished it?

I had a lecturer describe the decor as "if McDonald's ran a morgue", which I always thought was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

they've gotten rid of the old picnic-style wooden benches which most people wouldnt remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Plus 10

Sports Bar - why/when did they close it?

Great memories - top must be the night Ireland drew with the North to qualify for the 94 world cup - place was mental

• Advertisement
Advertisement