Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Free Ganache

• 11-10-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm making a devils food cake for my boyfriend for his birthday (well ok more for me and all the other party goers...) but there's a bit of a problem: the poor boy's lactose intolerant and I can't seem to find a decent recipe which doesn't involve a dairy-free ganache.

A lot of ganache recipes involve boiling the cream, would that get rid of the lactose? Or maybe should I add some lactase enzyme to my ganache? Or should I stop treating my kitchen like a lab?

A quick google came up with a few recipes which used unsweetened soya milk, is that ok or would it give the ganache a funny taste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Boiling the cream won't remove the lactose. Scharffen Berger have a Devil's Food cake recipe here, whose frosting doesn't use cream (known as a butter ganache). While butter contains minimal lactose (0.1%) compared to cream (3%), it will depend on his sensitivity. If he's very sensitive, you could clarify the butter, removing the milk solids and let it re-solidify, although I don't know if this would work. You could try a test sample to see.
    Alternatively you could try a lighter frosting such as a Chocolate 7 Minute Frosting which contains no dairy products.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Thanks very much! He's ok with butter, hates it on its own (in sandwiches) but he's fine if it's mixed- thanks a bunch!

Advertisement