Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the VelociRaptor still the best

• 11-10-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD1500HLFS)

right ive to replace my hdd's on my raid array .

size isnt important to me atm just speed. my first choise was to replace my raptor drives wiht new velociraptor drives with a little bit more space and leave it at that. but i decided to read a few reviews on hdd's and the ones that i saw said that some samsung drives are out proforming the raptor drives.

is this true or just some guy trying to push samsung sales cause on paper i dont see any reason that a samsung drive should be faster

i dont want space just speed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Samsung beat them hands down on value for money, Velociraptors are a little faster tho, but not much.
    Look here, 1TB of very fast storage for only €89 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what's your budget? would you consider SSD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

about 500 euros . going to buy two drives and stripe them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Then SSD's are the way forwad if your not looking for massive space.

thanks for all the info so far . very helpfull . opened a new door for me to consider

now to decide on x2 OCZ Core V2 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

or x2 Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10000RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache

its a tuffy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The main difference with the SSD is the sustained access speeds across the entire volume. With old platter drives your access speeds will drop off the further from the center of the platter the data is. Plus you have to worry about fragmentation, disk overheating, seek noise... etc

Maybe ask Flaccus for an opinion, his sig rig has both OCZ SSD's and VelociRaptors

ive pm'd him about the ssd's
    hope to make a decision tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

defo get an SSD for your operating system. They've come to the point now (price and size wise) where it's affordable to them as boot drives and some other things too.

Advertisement