Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

pedestrian has the right of way!

Options
  • 11-10-2008 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

if you are driving along turn a corner and come across a pedestrian crossing the road, the pedestrian has the right of way!!! please stop blowing your horns at me!!
    quote from the rules of the road-
    As a driver, you must not put a pedestrian at risk. In particular, you must give way to pedestrians:

• on or at a zebra crossing (even if they are only waiting to cross),
    • on or at a pelican crossing, when the amber light is flashing,
    • crossing the road, if you are moving off from a stationary position (for example at a traffic light or a parking space), and
    • at a junction, if they have started crossing the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Pedestrians have the right of way does not mean you can blindly bungle into a corner and cross the road not giving a flying faff if there is oncoming traffic.

Something pedestrians in Ireland don't seem to be aware of is the physics involved in a car hitting a squishy body.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stek wrote: »
    quote from the rules of the road
    While we are on the subject of pedestrians, here's a selection of more Rules of the Road. It's a two-way street if you'll excuse the pun.

Rules For Pedestrians

If there is a footpath, you must use it.

If there is no footpath, you must walk as near as possible to the right hand side.

Do not walk more than two abreast. If the road is narrow you should walk in single file.

You should always wear reflective clothing at night when walking outside built up areas.

You should always carry a torch at night.

Don't cross at a corner or a bend in the road.

Don't cross near the brow of a hill.

Don't cross near parked vehicles.

Don't cross where there are guard rail along the footpath.

Don't run across the road.

Never cross in front of a stopped bus.

Don't cross directly in the area in front of a truck as you will be in the driver's blind spot.

At zebra crossings, you do not have the right of way until you actually step onto the crossing.
    (This rule contradicts the one for drivers!).

Regardless of rights of way and other legalities, a driver should, in the interests of safety, give way to pedestrians at all times. It can be frustrating though, when many pedestrians show no duty of care towards themselves and, in the event of an accident, the general public tend to blame the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I get knocked down and can't get up again.............

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mena wrote: »
    Pedestrians have the right of way does not mean you can blindly bungle into a corner and cross the road not giving a flying faff if there is oncoming traffic.

I'd always cross a side road regardless of whether there's traffic about to pull in and out of it. Same way as a car driving down the main road will assume right of way over oncoming traffic that's looking to turn right and cars looking to pull out of the side road. Would never get anywhere otherwise. Traffic is going to be slowing down anyway when pulling in/out; I'd keep my wits about me for the odd maniac alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Stark wrote: »
    I'd always cross a side road regardless of whether there's traffic about to pull in and out of it. Same way as a car driving down the main road will assume right of way over oncoming traffic that's looking to turn right and cars looking to pull out of the side road. Would never get anywhere otherwise. Traffic is going to be slowing down anyway when pulling in/out; I'd keep my wits about me for the odd maniac alright.

when a driver needs to make a manovere such as a left hand turn then they are supposed to use mirrors to observe if there is any potential danger around them.
    in the same vain why can't perdastrians have a glance over their shoulder to see if there is a car approaching or making the manovoure of a turn.

also has anyone ever seen pedestrians walking and reading a book at the same time? ive seen it a few times and found it astounding practice to be undertaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wouldn't deliberately obstruct someone just to be an ass about it. But with half of people not bothering to indicate when making left hand turns, I'm not going to stop and wait for every car on the main road to pass before crossing the side road either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just going to close this seeing that there's an identical thread over in motors.
    LINK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement