Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self employed UB claim.

• 11-10-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Hello, What is the procedure for a self employed person who cannot find employment withinn the present turmoil to seek unemployment benfit/assitance, Do they have to pay their tax liabilties upto claim date and get proof of payment from revenue? what benefits would they be entitled to and how long could they wait for assitance thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

ranger4 wrote: »
    Hello, What is the procedure for a self employed person who cannot find employment withinn the present turmoil to seek unemployment benfit/assitance, Do they have to pay their tax liabilties upto claim date and get proof of payment from revenue? what benefits would they be entitled to and how long could they wait for assitance thanks.

I don't think so. But I had to do it some time back and it was a complete nightmare. They don't seem to have any provision for self-employed, the biggest problem is convincing them you aren't still working as a self employed person and are looking for a job! What ever that's meant to mean?

In the end I just said sod it and kept going as self employed, it picked up after a while. I was up to date with tax at the time. If your business is gone down the tubes you shouldn't be liable for any tax IMO, if you don't have it tell them so.

Maybe it's changed, and I'm sure they have more claims now so they mightn't be as tricky. My advice would be to try and stick with the self employed thing and stuff the social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Unfortunately as far as I know ya can't get UB as the prsi rate you're paying is different and doesn't cover this eventuality , the only think you can get is UA which is means tested ,rent or mortgage relief and medical card, all assessed on means and be prepared to have a tough fight down the social welfare office as they act like its their money if you've been working and paying tax all your life

If yours partner is working then you get nothing as well, best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

rasper wrote: »
    Unfortunately as far as I know ya can't get UB as the prsi rate you're paying is different and doesn't cover this eventuality , the only think you can get is UA which is means tested ,rent or mortgage relief and medical card, all assessed on means and be prepared to have a tough fight down the social welfare office as they act like its their money if you've been working and paying tax all your life

If yours partner is working then you get nothing as well, best of luck

+1
    Coming back to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭soontobesmokin

Fistly you have to deregister yourself as selfemployed withthe revenue, and then as the previous said, they make it as hard as possible for you in the social, ( I can't understand why as selfemployed people helped drive the economy ), anyway, while you are waiting for decision from the social, you should be intitled to a payment from the health board while, tey make a decision on your claim. If eventually the social refuse your claim, restart the whole proccess again and start a fresh claim withthe social again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

its absalute bull **** ive been self employed since i left school 13 years ago ive paid fairly hefty tax bills every year
    and now im finding it very hard to get work an odd job pops up every now and then
    i know nothing other than building theres no course or eff all im entitled too to learn a new skill
    it truly is desperate times for self employed people
    i dunno what im gonna do im losing my marbles im used to getting up going to work
    but i cant afford to pay for a course ,keep a family ,morgage ect
    they should really look into this situation and reasess the procedure
    i know more than ten people in my situation so im sure theres thousands like us

• Advertisement
Advertisement