Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom line question

Options
  • 11-10-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

i have done a line test for broadband and it failed... i then did a test on another line on my road.. belonging to my aunt who will never want broadband and it passed... does anyone have any ideas how i would go about getting the lines switched at the exchange... my landline contract is with perlico.. but if i could get broadband.. i would go with bt's unlimited 60 euro per month service.. so i don't know if eircom would even bother swapping the lines for me..

any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Eircom won't really do something like that on an official basis, its a friendly local Eircom engineer you want to talk to. Might be an idea to look into sending a wireless signal between the two houses if your Aunt would be accommodating as there is a good chance you won't be able to get lines switched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The problem may not be at the exchange either. It could be the line itself, crappy quality. It could also be something in your house, DECT phone, Sky box, fax, etc, that's causing the line to fail.

As said, officially eircom will do nothing. Your only hope is to convince them there's a voice problem on the line, in which case they will investigate, and possibly switch the line.

Can you use dial up, and if so, what's the max connection speed you get? If it's below about 28k, consistently, then you could be on a pair gain, which would rule out broadband working.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

my line is on a pair gain... max dial up 12... my aunts line isn't on a pair gain... it's the original telephone line for this road.. i.e. the first line ever to come from the exchange to my road...

i was thinking about running wifi from her house.. but there's buildings and trees in the way... would hate to buy all the kit and then find out that i couldnt get the signal through the trees...

anybody know a friendly eircom engineer in galway... athenry area.. who wouldn't mind a few quid.. to swap over the wires out near my house and swap out over the wires in the exchange? would probabally take 30 mins max

Advertisement