Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats everyones opinion of GTA IV now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin lad

gta4 is a very very good game but it is nothing NOTHING compared to the old ones can u remember how the storyline in san andreas made u feel or the fun of runing around vice city i mean the amount of stuff san andreas had in it it had around 150 cars 100 main story line missions tuns of side missiond and gang turff. Ucould fly a fighter jet for **** sake

do u not see wat rockstar are doing thay are bring gta onto the next gen the next gta will have all the good stuff of the old ones and gta will be not very very good but great again dont worry

and i tryed saints row it ok but not as good SA or VC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I still go back to GTA4 every now and again. Mainly to go back to a gunshop, stock up and have fun taking cover somewhere and causing chaos all around. Nothing like a good grenade throw that takes out 2 cop cars, followed by taking out a S.W.A.T van via AK-47! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Good game but I'd have liked to have seen the following:

Tattoo parlors
    Barbers
    More gang members on the streets

I did like:
    the Irish mob
    the LCHC station (Murhpy's Law!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Whats this DLC ye are all banging on about????

I love the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

DLC = downloadable content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Aye its not fun, the characters have **** all personality and theres feck all to do.
    Once you get over the explosions and the nice addition of throwing grenades out the car its all downhill.

Must try Saints Row.

While I wouldnt say IV is not fun , I do think its lost far to much in the trade off for uber graphics. The main story character has bugger all personality When compaired to CJ and Tommy Vercetti and this is my biggest issue with the new game. Nico sucks balls as a main character and looks like crap to be the players avatar imho. GTA Vice City and SA had oddles of charm even tho you played total scumbags, IV had some wannabe polish thugs who have as much charm as a microwaved goldfish.

The lack of sub games like cop missions, collecting wall tags, side misisons, barber shop/tatoo parlor/gym, car,boat and plane schools and skill ups really kill any replay value in IV. Now the addictions of the TV channels and mobile phones are damm impressive but its a pity they replaced the cool stuff that SA added tho the forumla.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Venom wrote: »
    The lack of sub games like cop missions, collecting wall tags, side misisons, barber shop/tatoo parlor/gym, car,boat and plane schools and skill ups really kill any replay value in IV. Now the addictions of the TV channels and mobile phones are damm impressive but its a pity they replaced the cool stuff that SA added tho the forumla.

+1, its a real pity they didn't include the stuff that SA added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I quite liked it at first - especially the bank job mission - but after playing it for a few weeks I got totally sick of looking after my "relationships" with all the characters mates so I could call for them in times of need.. and that's pretty much it. It's boring - they removed too much of the fun aspects. I found the auld "gardai" in the game a lot easier to evade than the satanic police forces of the previous installments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Completed it a few days ago and like the others have said it doesn't have the replay value or the humour that other GTA games had.

It will go down as the most overhyped game of all time IMO

How is a game overhyped when it received as many high reviewer/user scores that this game did? Yes the hype was massive but it definitely lived up to it. Theres not many things in this day and age that can live up to the hype but GTAIV did it in style. Even after this many months I still go back to my 360 to fire it up every now and again. The multiplayer is insanely fun and the single player still has its moments.

I recently got it for the PC and the game has just got better and better between increased graphic quality and the replay video editor its adds a lot more fun to the existing game. Plus its not going to be long before people start modding in which always sparks new interest in old games.

Overhyped? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I remember when i used to sit there enterained to hell playing alex the kid on my sega master system....heh heh heh

I remember when i was 13 playing gta. i pacificly remember running over harry christianers :D and just shotting bullet that looked like full stops....

GtaIV is stunning its an amazzing game which show's where there really going to and what there plan's are. where they can take this game, granted things like garrages holding on to sweet cars etc where good, on the other hand keeping friend sweet can be a pain in the and the gf stuff etc is pretty anoying..

i think there experementing with us seeing what th eplayer wants and not want's ewach game is going to be hugly different and the ideas from vice city about buying buisness's etc its brillaint the costeming of the charicters is great from san andreas, the graphics, and genrall style of gtIV is cool so what il say is this its a great game with some really cool ideas....

but serously the 360 and ps3 havae so much potentiol that right now these guys can't make a cleer dession about where to concintrate on the games over all

its a bit long but me likes it a lot and i think the games going to go places over the next few months

http://www.rockstargames.com/thelostanddamned/index2.html

i love it i just wish i could run over harry christianers again...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah running over the harry christianers used to be some laugh.

I only start playing gta4 online tonight and had some laugh. Some canadian fella slapped the piss outta me in a few games. Whats that all aboot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Yous do mean hare krishnas right?

GOURANGA!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm off work for the next 5 days. Since Saturday, just got back to playing GTA Vice City. The game is a work of art, just a pleasure to play though it took my a while to get to get used to the driving the cars. Everything is a lot more responsive and overly sharp. But still a wonderful game. Love listening to the soundtrack, some mighty songs and suberb acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Exasperated

The storyline is gammie.Niko is such a ........ I dont like him,nor do i like his cousin roman.The only character i like is Jacob.But the storyline is sooo poor every mission is a repeat of the one previous to it,just like in gta 3.And also the mafia(s) yet again are the dominant employers like in GTA 3.I enjoyed the diversity in SA.Instead of just 1 big city there were a number of DIFFERNT cities and a niice little countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Ghey-Lo is the most over hyped game. Its just another FPS with decent music but slow movement and mickysoft marketing!

GTAIV - I'm enjoying it. Seemed a bit dark but I adjusted my screen to be brighter and it was fine. I don't mind niko though... seems more realistic but very conflicting. Sort of 'I don't like being a criminal but hey I have no problem stabbing you for your car' which is strange. Its ok so far. And I like jacob the reefer head. He's funny I hope he doesnt die.

It has some of the best bits from SA (clothing) with none of the rubbish ( having to train/workout/practise guns) though the radio while diverse is not as good as it could be. I hope if they remake VC that its better than VC. I liked VC more.. maybe the music maybe the 70/80s I dunno..

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I believe the game was meant to be a little darker as to empthasis the darkness of some of the characters and of course Liberty City. Niko's life is very dark and he has tunnel vision unlikeprevious GTA main characters, though I guess Cluade from GTA III is in similar sitaution to Niko.

The exact opposite was done for Vice City. Beautiful, bright, colours etc etc. but deep down there was a hidden world as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

GTA online is a great laugh, shame about the some of the lags though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

Definitely one of the best games I've ever played, I got it back in April and I'm still playing it. I completed it, left it for a month or so, then came back and replyed it. The random character missions are great, the stevie + Brucie missions are always fun, so too are the Police missions and most wanted. Niko is a great character, brilliant game, lived up to the hype.

I always got fed up with the working out, eating, ect. in SA, found it annoying. I rather the fact that you have friends in GTA4, you can get bonuses from them too, like backup from Dwayne, weapons from Jacob, bombs from Packie, etc. I don;t liek the police system though, sure it's easy to lose them, but its too easy to attract police, especially when getting the pigeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I actually hated the game about a day into playing it,havent actually played it in a few months. Got saints row 2 for christmas,and was very impressed. Would reccommend it to any GTA lovers who would like to try something else in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Haven't play it in roughly 3 monthes. But in hindsight, I only dislike the police system, as I was rather blinded by the fact it wasn't like SA or VC in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Have not played the game in months either.

Havent even finished the game.

While it's very polished... it's not very fun, Saints Row 2 blows it out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Got hooked on it initially and was class.. Then it started to freeze repeatedly and subsequently my Xbox broke as a result. Never finished it and have no intention of ever buying future games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭death1234567

I have finished it now and its a great game. However there are a few bad points that should be mentioned. The Missions are not imaginative at all. Nothing we have not seen before and mainly drive, kill, complete. And no mission was really difficult IMO and the races are like in the other recent GTA's waaay too simple. The relationships and "friends" adds little to the game. Yes its fun when they ring you talking about things related to the story but bringing them to play darts or out to eat gets boring and annoying very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Very good game that sadly took itself too seriously or something. Didn't have the style of Vice City or even San Andreas. That fun element was the only downpoint but a crucial one.

I'm enjoying Saints Row 2 at the moment. Quite thoroughly. What's wrong with me?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Have to say the most disappointing GTA ever. I've been playing GTA since the very beginning. Loved every one of them, each one has been better than the last up until 4.

I swapped my Wii to play it on PS3 when it came out on that console. Played it to the end but wasn't overly impressed. I didn't get that GTA obsession that I had with GTA:SA, me running home from work doing nothing else but playing that game. I had no interest in playing the game after a week. I figured that problem with the PS3 version was the PS3 and maintained that the PC version would be back to the good stuff.

Other than the fact the game runs **** I did prefer it on the PC but the game lacks all the fun and you can't just mess around for hours like previous versions because the in game characters get all pissy if you don't answer the phone to them.

I'd like to give the game another chance. I LOVE GTA. Even not being up to par with previous versions the GTA world is a fun place to be but they need to fix it, bring out more content maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Theres no much new in it. Anything new in it seems annoying. Friends are irritating. The police system is a pain. They left out some of the more fun parts from SA.

The main character is weak. As a previous poster has said, one minute you are shooting a granny in the head, and the next there is a cutscene with mr niceguys angst.

Overall its a very decent game in its own right. It just doesnt seem to be an improvement for the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I even got a wanted level for trying to blow up a bank van by constantly ramming it into a wall. I did it in the docks so there would be no police around. Then I get a wanted level for no reason while Im in the process of doing it.

I think they've changed the AI so if someone see's you doing it and gets scared, i.e. runs off, they call the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The problem with GTA4 is that it was always gonna be compared to GTA: SA. Everyone expected it to improve on SA by improving graphics and adding in more content etc..

But that was never gonna be the case. GTA: VC and GTA: SA were not called GTA 4 and GTA 5 because they were more like expansion packs, extending on GTA 3. GTA 3 was the first GTA game on the last gen consoles. It was the first time the series went 3D. So with GTA3, Rockstar got the engine working on the consoles. They got the basics in. With VC, they optimized the engine more, adding in more content. With SA, they squeezed every last ounce of power out of the PS2 by optimizing the engine even more and adding in a ton of content.

The exact same thing is happening this generation. GTA 4 is basically GTA 3 in current gen consoles. Rockstar have gotten the engine working with their improved graphics, AI and physics engine etc. I'm confident that with the next game, they'll have optimized the engine even more allowing the addition of new features and content.

When making a game, you get the basics working first before adding in a ton of content. That's what GTA 4 is, the basics. After all, the content in GTA 4 is more than alot of other games have out there. Now, Rockstar will improve and add to this as they are more familiar with the current gen consoles and what they can and cannot do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

But, you have to say, when it does come to fun GTA III was better! Like, it's been explained before; Series, Episodes (of that series) = Good-Better-Best. That's the way it goes for GTA, but GTA IV is less exciting than GTA III (IMO), which shouldn't be!

III will obviously always be seen as the revolutionary game of the series (even the wholes video gaming industry), but the best thing was you could have fun with it! We never expected the huge leaps and bounds for IV as III took, but surely we should have have a game - something entertaining and fun. We expected a progression with that, but we got anything but that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Nailz wrote: »
    But, you have to say, when it does come to fun GTA III was better! Like, it's been explained before; Series, Episodes (of that series) = Good-Better-Best. That's the way it goes for GTA, but GTA IV is less exciting than GTA III (IMO), which shouldn't be!

I'm not so sure I can agree with you on that point. It's a tough one really. I mean I loved GTA 3 and thought it was great fun, but that was mainly because I never played a game like it before. If somebody who has never played a GTA game before plays GTA4, they would probably love it, as it's their first GTA game in 3D.

Never the less, I think Rockstar took a risk (well it wasn't really a risk, it was always gonna sell) with GTA 4 by taking a more serious and realistic take. I think the series needed this however. Yes, it wasn't as fun as SA or as fun as it should have been, but another SA with just better graphics would have gotten boring very fast imo.

For example, I played GTA 3 for a ridiculous amount of time, I didn't play VC as much and played SA even less, despite them been better games. The reason for this was because the core gameplay was the same for all three. Therefore I found the change in GTA4 a welcomed one.

Advertisement