Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Multitrip Insurance - will it cover strike by Aer Lingus

Options
  • 11-10-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just wondern if anyone knows if VHI Multitrip travel insurance would cover me if Aer Lingus strike. I have a flight booked, and a hotel booked seperatly. cheers, mark

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

mark 2008 wrote: »
    Just wondern if anyone knows if VHI Multitrip travel insurance would cover me if Aer Lingus strike. I have a flight booked, and a hotel booked seperatly. cheers, mark

VHI will know - best to ask them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

While not able to answer your question directly, I've recently shopped around for travel insurance and found that you'd be hard pushed to find a travel insurance product that covers for airline strikes or airlines going into liquidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

see section 9 of their policy doc here

A word of warning, I once made a valid claim under VHI travel insurance. They first refused to pay my claim, citing an exclsuion that was listed under a different section that the section under which I claimed (and in any case wouldn't have invalidated my claim anyhow). I rang about it and was told 'sorry your claim was dealt with incorrectly but its not covered anyhow'. One strongly worded letter later in which I threatened legal action I was paid.

A guy in work got the same treatment when he claimed, his rebuttal letter said they were sorry but his claims for his lost camera wasn't covered. All well and good but he claimed for a lost pair of sunglasses :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

mark 2008 wrote: »

Basically insurance covers the unknown, so if you know of a strike (actual rather than rumour) BEFORE you book then you will never be covered.

If the strike is called after you book but before you travel, you will be covered for cancellation, but if you start your trip and get caught out on the way back, you might not be covered.

You could lose cover for reasons not related to a strike, for example you are not covered for trips over 28 days, or the strike happens while you are ab-saling down the from the summit of Mount Blanc and you break your leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement