Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on drilling into an old crumbly wall

Options
  • 11-10-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hiya,

I am currently trying to anchor some wardrobes to an internal wall in my house. Problem is the house is old (build 1890 approx). I don't really understand what the composition of the walls are.

When I drill into them (5mm bit) about 1" of deep plaster coating starts to come crumbing away. Behind that, seems to be something more solid, but I am not sure what it is.

Here is a pic of my first attempt. The wall itself is about 20cm thick.

holeafterdrillingbi2.th.jpgthpix.gif

As you can see drilling leaves a pretty unworkable big hole.

The only options I can think of are:

1) keep drilling as deep as I can (until I hit the hard stuff), insert a long raw plug and then polyfilla around the raw plug. Then finally screw in my screw.

2) polyfilla the hole and drill into that.

I wish I could knock the wall down but that's not an option unfortunately ;-)

If anyone has any tips or have encountered this sort of wall themselves I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers,
    -mem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Is the wall an outside wall or a dividing wall between bedrooms ?
    If it is an outside wall ,what kind of brickwork is your house finished ,red or yellow/grey brick ?

Edit : Heres a quick diagram of the oldest trick in the book.
    Cut a piece of wood into a 3 or 4 inch triangle shape and hammer it into the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭memorex

Hi 311,

It's a dividing wall between a bedroom and the upstairs landing. I like the idea of the wood trick - thanks! I am going to try one last attempt and drill into the wall with a long fixing. But failing that I might try to plug the hole with the wood wedge and drill into that.

Damn these old houses! It is such a love hate thing.

Cheers,
    -mem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

All you have to do ,once the wood is stuck fast in the wall. Screw straight into the wood for your support.

Hammering timber into a wall is fine when it's a thick outside wall ,be careful you don't bust through the internal wall.

If the wardrobes are tall enough ,you might be able to support something from the ceiling joists ?

Also ,if a wall is really bad for me ,I use a much smaller drill bit than I need ,drill down at an angle (about 35 degrees).
    This way you end up with a hole the size you need and the angle means you don't actually have to rely on a very tight bite with the screw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shazzyb

If the wall is really old and crumbly then Hilti do a product - chemical anchor - its a chemical you pump into the hole before putting in your bolt / screw. The chemical goes hard and trust me there is NO moving your bolt / screw short of knocking the wall.:)

Advertisement