Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

refund repair replacement.

Options
  • 11-10-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to get some clarification on my rights. I bought an Asus eee pc off laptopsdriect in January of this year. In August a fault arose where by it would turn off intermittently for no reason. So, despite knowing i'd never get a response from laptopsdirect since they're awful to deal with, i fired off mails to them. Not getting any response i went straight to the manufacturer and without question they agreed to repair it. It was collected and sent off for repair. Grand. But when it arrived back the fault hadn't been fixed! So i got in touch with them again, and went through the same, sent it off, got it back, problem still there!
    Now, i know it was in their hands to choose whether to repair/replace/refund when first getting in contact, but what are my rights after 2 failed repairs? And since i've been dealing through the manufacturer, which i know is not how it should work as my contract was never with them as such, how would a refund be possible?
    Thanks
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

subscribed....I want to see how this plays out...;)

I'm guessing the Manufacturer will have to give you a replacement after the next repair....You have the Laptop 10mts at this stage...I can't see the manufacturer giving you the cash, that would lie with the retailer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The manufacturer may have their own policies about when a replacement would be appropriate, likely to be documented in their warranty.

Any refund would still be through your original point of purchase, however it would most likely be for the return of the original part so any replacement you get may affect your right to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd also like to see how this one plays out. The manufacture may replace it for you, but may just bring it in for another repair. What is wrong with it, by the way?

As for the refund... it'll be the first time the shop has heard about it, so they may just send it off for a repair...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Went through same thing with a car from Auto exchange.They kept repairing it saying they are fufilling their side of deal.Got nowhere with them unfortunatly:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I believe it's a solder gone loose in the power socket on the laptop, resulting in the complete loss of power to the laptop if it's moved even in the slightest. So far the mobo and battery has been replaced in the repairs. Despite being very clear explaining the problem. ie, leaving a note stuck onto the laptop with arrows pointing and written explanation of the problem.
    I dont even use the laptop to be honest, i was about to sell the damn thing, when this happened.
    Thanks for the advise lads, will hopefully get a response from asus on Monday. Will keep yee posted.
    Cheers,
    Alan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I believe it's a solder gone loose in the power socket on the laptop, resulting in the complete loss of power to the laptop if it's moved even in the slightest.
    If you get it back, unrepaired, leave the battery go totally dead, and then send it back (with a note telling them, again, what the problem is). Let them try to charge it, and see how they get on.

Oh, and btw, if the pin is bent, it's often seen as customer damage. If internal, not customer damage.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you get it back, unrepaired, leave the battery go totally dead, and then send it back (with a note telling them, again, what the problem is). Let them try to charge it, and see how they get on.

Oh, and btw, if the pin is bent, it's often seen as customer damage. If internal, not customer damage.

Yeah the pin is grand on it, straight as an arrow;) and it wasn't abused. I mean returning it for a 3rd time is getting a bit ridiculous tbh, so i'm going to push for refund/replace. Will see how this pans out during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 drama

Sorry I know this is unrelated to your problem but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/solutions for this one. We have two Dell printers in the office (1600n and 1815dn) and have ordered in a good supply of printer cartridges. Unfortunately now the 1600n has completely packed up and is outside warranty so we have just bought a completely different make and model. Anyways I now have two cartridges for the 1600n that are unusable!! I have phoned dell and asked them to exchange them for 1815 cartridges and I might as well be talking to a brick wall. They don't do exchange on internet orders apparently. The order for both actually dates back to July 07 but they are still sealed in the box. Its one of those things that you keep ordering more and stocking up the cupboard and the older ones get put to the back and the new ones are used as they come in. Doh! They only give refund or exchange if its within seven days of the order apparently. Does anyone have any great ideas how to get around this. It seems ridiculous that I have two cartridges now that can't be exchanged for the Dell printer we actually have working in the office. They both cost the same and I am sure ink does not go out of date!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

don't know how your going to get around that one drama......suggest ebay or adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

drama wrote: »
    It seems ridiculous that I have two cartridges now that can't be exchanged for the Dell printer we actually have working in the office. They both cost the same and I am sure ink does not go out of date!!!!
    Ebay or adverts probably your best bet. As far as Dell are concerned, those cartridges are over a year old and they have no idea what type of conditions they've been stored in since they were sent out to you.

• Advertisement

Okay, just got a mail back from Asus, after requesting a refund and providing a coy of the invoice. But here's the thing, they have unusual conditions which are:
    :confused:If the laptop is under 6 months old they will refund 100%
    :confused:If it is more than 6 months old, but less than 12 they will refund 80%
    :confused:And if it is more than 12 months old they will refund 60%

I have never heard of conditions like this being placed on a refund, it seems very strange, does anyone have any views on this
    Btw, i fall into the second,80% bracket

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Okay, just got a mail back from Asus, after requesting a refund and providing a coy of the invoice. But here's the thing, they have unusual conditions which are:
    :confused:If it is more than 6 months old, but less than 12 they will refund 80%

I have never heard of conditions like this being placed on a refund, it seems very strange, does anyone have any views on this
    This comes down to the fact you had it for a while and had use out of it (standard write down over time of an item, same as an insurance company does in terms of refunds).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

drama wrote: »
    Does anyone have any great ideas how to get around this. It seems ridiculous that I have two cartridges now that can't be exchanged for the Dell printer we actually have working in the office. They both cost the same and I am sure ink does not go out of date!!!!
    There's nothing to get around. Dell are under no obligation to refund or replace for something you don't want any more, regardless of the circumstances.

If they agree to give you 80% of what you originally paid, I think that's probably pretty good. They're just depreciating the value of the laptop, based on it's age, and the fact that you could replace it now, with the exact same, for less than you originally paid.

Advertisement