Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FYP (Thesis) advice

• 11-10-2008 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

I've taken IAS vs GAAP/SSAP as the theme of my FYP and had planned to compare a number of the comparable standards head to head, looking at how international IFRS and IAS actually are in practice versus the theory of it.

I can't pin down my supervisor at the moment and I'm wondering should I run a mile from this before it's too late to change (in 2 or 3 weeks) ar get stuck in now.

I have a feeling that I'm going to conclude that IFRS and IAS are neither international nor standard. Any views appreciated....as well as any tips for topics if you think this one is a bad idea.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ninty9er wrote: »

I have a feeling that I'm going to conclude that IFRS and IAS are neither international nor standard.

Thanks.

What's your definition of International and standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

smcgiff wrote: »
    What's your definition of International and standard?

International= Every country with a financial reporting system

Standard=the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

ninty9er wrote: »
    International= Every country with a financial reporting system

Standard=the same

It will never be international by your definition, but, to be fair, it's not expected to be. Another definition of International is more than one country.

Also, don't forget that within standards different treatments may be allowed, but the company would still be following the standard. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

smcgiff wrote: »
    It will never be international by your definition, but, to be fair, it's not expected to be. Another definition of International is more than one country.

Also, don't forget that within standards different treatments may be allowed, but the company would still be following the standard. :D

Which is what worries me....am I about to open a can of worms and let my degree ride on it??

Advertisement