Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just a word to the wise

Options
  • 11-10-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

To any of those who are driving un registered English imports, i wouldn't advise doing so this weekend, seems the lads at the top are getting pissed off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes went through 2 checkpoints this afternoon, was only Gardai though, no Revenue lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

So, do you condone this behaviour outside of this weekend? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

FredH3as wrote: »

Lol, no i'm just adivising to especially not to do it this weekend, it is illegal is most cases after all.

To any of those who are driving un registered English imports, i wouldn't advise doing so this weekend, seems the lads at the top are getting pissed off.

Are you just presuming or have you heard of a specific crack down?

Are you just presuming or have you heard of a specific crack down?

Specific crackdown. It's about time too i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

To any of those who are driving un registered English imports
    Those driving vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will be OK?

Why do wish to warn those who are stealing from the law abiding motorist?

I have not seen anything yet anyway, guards or customs. Thankfully :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

:eek:

:pac:

I'm actually wondering why i post this thread now. Delete it if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Deserves a wrap on the knuckles tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Fianna Fáil?!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Countdown started for Ninety9er rebuttal.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

clip clop clip clop

it hurrrrts.
    it buuuuurns.

C'mon, the high horse forum is this way >>>>>>>>>>> .......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

As I left Limerick on Sat morning, there were loads of revenue at their favourite haunt of the Roadstone entrance just past Birdhill.

They were having a meeting at the side of the road and were just about to stop traffic.

Could be anything they are checking for other than just UK reg cars.

If you are driving one without registering then you deserve to be caught anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

FredH3as wrote: »
    Those driving vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will be OK?

I'm actually wondering why i post this thread now. Delete it if you can.
    As I left Limerick on Sat morning, there were loads of revenue at their favourite haunt of the Roadstone entrance just past Birdhill.

They were having a meeting at the side of the road and were just about to stop traffic.

Could be anything they are checking for other than just UK reg cars.

If you are driving one without registering then you deserve to be caught anyway.

:eek: Why? Is it because VRT is a fair, legal equitable tax paid by motoring consumers all across the EC?? ???

Let me ask you; if Fianna Fail started charging a daily Pyjamas Tax of €7.50 - would you just nod blankly and go hunting for your wallet last thing at night???

- Re. VRT disdain on the grounds of its brazen illegality and cynical thievery, I know that a lot of people avoid paying it for as long as possible and that for every month that they do the figure drops significantly. Now where can I please, please queue for hours in the rain to buy the book, t-shirt and DVD for that ideology?

P.S. Somebody please bring back the Post Of The Month award :D
    Fianna Fáil?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Having questioned some people on their issue with "yellow regs", it eventually boiled down to they didn't feel it fair that Jim next door is getting away with something they cant or wont do and nothing to do with the morality and definitely nothing to do with being "robbed". Its just another form of the sickening begrudgery that we Irish inflict upon one another.

Ive imported lots of cars, paids lots of VRT (EUR16k VRT on the last one, inflated due to the lack of transparency of the system irrelevant of the justice of it or not) and EUR1500 a year tax per car. I drive on roads that wouldnt look out of place in the outskirts of Soviet Russia (yeah, they have real motorways to go with real, working, MRSA free hospitals in that "Eastern Europe" place you heard about) and have broken Tire Pressure Sensors, wheels, tires, suspension wear, scraped paint etc etc to show for it.

We are already paying through the nose for the privilege of driving here, I have no qualms with others dodging a dubiously legal (at best its only breaking the spirit of a free trade EU) second import tax. The real travesty is the otherwise intelligent people that not only tolerate our entire situation but look down on those that dont.

Do you know who the Inoffizielle Mitarbeitere are? They are you lot tomorrow. Dont waste this chance for free speech by showing the world what pious drones you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But is that not the same selfish logic that lets people decide not to pay car insurance because it's too expensive - pushing up the cost for everyone else.

I don't agree with VRT, but I agree less with people deciding that it doesn't apply to them just because they can't afford it/don't want to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

AudiChris wrote: »
    But is that not the same selfish logic that lets people decide not to pay car insurance because it's too expensive - pushing up the cost for everyone else.

I don't agree with VRT, but I agree less with people deciding that it doesn't apply to them just because they can't afford it/don't want to pay it.

Given that car insurance is there to protect the individual, no, its not even remotely similar. The Pyjamas tax is closer analogy.

I dont think anyone is saying it "doesn't apply" to them, that is a statement of fact that is too obviously incorrect. What the gripe revolves around the reasons to pay and tow the line are not (to some) ethically sound while others bemoan them based on selfish reasons and not moral high horse they claim to represent. It comes down to a question you can ask yourself, should you obey a law because its a law or because the law is correct and right? If you follow every law (a dangerous road) then you will never understand a viewpoint that questions it.

VRT is a tax on a tax and its against what our union of states represents and the system that dicates its amount is closed from and doesnt represent the public.

Insurance, while expensive, is a free market governed service that protects car owners and fellow road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Matt Simis wrote:
    I dont think anyone is saying it "doesn't apply" to them, that is a statement of fact that is too obviously incorrect. What the gripe revolves around the reasons to pay and tow the line are not (to some) ethically sound while others bemoan them based on selfish reasons and not moral high horse they claim to represent. It comes down to a question you can ask yourself, should you obey a law because its a law or because the law is correct and right? If you follow every law (a dangerous road) then you will never understand a viewpoint that questions it.

VRT is a tax on a tax and its against what our union of states represents and the system that dicates its amount is closed from and doesn't represent the public.

Tax evasion is tax evasion no matter how you try to dress it up. If your so strongly against it set up a campaign against it and get it removed. Not paying it is not the answer.

You do realise that you would have to raise the tax, and its quite a lot of tax when you look at it, from somewhere else.

Would you be happy with a 2/3% increase on the base rate of PAYE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

You do realise that you would have to raise the tax, and its quite a lot of tax when you look at it, from somewhere else.

Would you be happy with a 2/3% increase on the base rate of PAYE?

VRT last year was 1.3 Billion Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Matt Simis wrote: »
    blah, blah,blah....

Do us a favour pal and move to a different country where the ethics are more in line with your way of thinking...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

They were stopping for this in Navan yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Swords too last night around 6-ish near Applewood.

Have to agree with Matt on this one. The people that have an issue with people avoiding paying this (legally dubious) tax until they have to are not doing so on any moral or ethical grounds, but rather because they begrudge that person "getting away" with something they haven't the wit or balls to do themselves.

Look how much ignorance (for want of a better term) surrounds the entire process of importing a car and, now that more people are realising the benefits - not only financial but also a better spec/condition car if you do your homework right - the bleating that's going on by SIMI and the government because people are exercising their right to shop elsewhere (as we're being so often advised lately by the consumer agencies). It was the same with people shopping online for DVDs/CDs remember.

The problem (as usual) is Irish begrudgery on one side, and an expectation to be able to keep ripping off the general public on the other. In between that is caught the motorist who used a bit of initiative and refused to pay for an overpriced, underspecced vehicle here and brought one in themselves.

Feck the begrudgers I say. As for the motor industry here.. as the great Gordon Gekko once said: "The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated"

Hear Hear! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

My suggestion for the Minister's budget today: introduce an order giving the guards the power to seize un-VRT'd cars and crush them while the owner watches.

There'll be a queue of tax-dodgers wanting to pay up the morning after photos are on the front of the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Zube wrote: »
    My suggestion for the Minister's budget today: introduce an order giving the guards the power to seize un-VRT'd cars and crush them while the owner watches.

There'll be a queue of tax-dodgers wanting to pay up the morning after photos are on the front of the papers.

+1

I'd even pay to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

god... get a life will you!

Does it really bother you that much that some people are not afraid to drive around for a while without paying VRT and dont say they are stealing from you because nobody is stopping you from buying a car in the UK and doing the same.

Luckily where I live people say "fair play to you" rather than complain or begrudge you for not VRTing a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Luckily where I live people say "far play to you" rather than complain or begrudge you for not VRTing a car.

Perhaps you shouldn't be seeking the wittering indulgences of these "people". Everyone who avoids VRT has no excuse, its hardly lack of information. They knew how much it cost from day one. If they can't pay it, stuff them.

Crush the car and fine them 10% of their gross wage for that year. I'm sick of all this whining about unfair taxes. We all pay them, irrespective of their fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Right or wrong it's a tax that should be paid. Point is to many people are driving around with unpaid VRT. Everyone else that purchases a car in Ireland is "forced" to pay the vrt, so why should someone get away without paying? A lad I work with has a car from the north for over 1 year without paying the VRT.

Like road tax, why should most pay and others not?

Edit, Revenue and Guards were at Enfield this morning between 7:30 and 8:00 checking for Diesel and well as, I am sure, VRT.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement