Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just a word to the wise

Options
2»

Comments

Joker wrote: »
    Perhaps you shouldn't be seeking the wittering indulgences of these "people". Everyone who avoids VRT has no excuse, its hardly lack of information. They knew how much it cost from day one. If they can't pay it, stuff them.

Crush the car and fine them 10% of their gross wage for that year. I'm sick of all this whining about unfair taxes. We all pay them, irrespective of their fairness.

Is it now illegal to make a small spelling mistake! It wouldnt surprise me. Just as a matter of interest I can actually VRT my car for free as I lived in the UK for over a year but as they have that other crazy rule that you have to keep the car for a year after clearing it I will be keeping my car registered to my UK address thank you very much. Who knows when you might want to sell your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Genuine question to all those complaining about people around them not paying VRT:

Do you actually report these neighbours/friends/family/colleagues who are annoying your sense of right and wrong so much, or do you just moan about it online/to others?

See, I reckon that in addition to simple Irish begrudgery, the other issue here is that if people genuinely believe this, then why are they reluctant/afraid to stand up and be counted?

Probably because the Irish as a nation piss and whinge about people around them "getting away" with things, but won't say anything about it in case their own little scams are brought to light - indeed, isn't that the biggest problem with this country? We're too busy trying to get one over on each other than the "greater good" is only mentioned when there's some personal gain attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I will be keeping my car registered to my UK address thank you very much. Who knows when you might want to sell your car.

I forgot the "everyone should change their systems for me" immigrants. :D

@Kaiser, I usually report them, neighbour or not.

I forgot the "everyone should change their systems for me" immigrants. :D

I can assure you Im irish! I just moved there for a year and i am back home again now!;)

I can assure you Im irish! I just moved there for a year and i am back home again now!;)

OK, no worries.:D

I've no doubt its unfair and badly implemented. I suppose it unnerves those who just pay it up straight.

I'd prefer to see it abolished. If the useless FF govt could actually spend the money without paying construction buddies off, the lost revenue would be of little concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Tax evasion is tax evasion no matter how you try to dress it up. If your so strongly against it set up a campaign against it and get it removed. Not paying it is not the answer.

You do realise that you would have to raise the tax, and its quite a lot of tax when you look at it, from somewhere else.
    Would you be happy with a 2/3% increase on the base rate of PAYE?

Currently the motorist (via VRT) is paying 60% of local council funding, a "service" that benefits everybody. Since most of the money benefits local communities, if there is a need for increased taxes it should be evenly spread across something we all do and use as well as being transparent.
    FredH3as wrote: »
    Do us a favour pal and move to a different country where the ethics are more in line with your way of thinking...:rolleyes:

Such as where? The UK? They wouldnt stand for this as they have neither the begrudery or tow-the-line do what you are told mental conditioning we have.
    Perhaps you shouldn't be seeking the wittering indulgences of these "people". Everyone who avoids VRT has no excuse, its hardly lack of information. They knew how much it cost from day one. If they can't pay it, stuff them.

Crush the car and fine them 10% of their gross wage for that year. I'm sick of all this whining about unfair taxes. We all pay them, irrespective of their fairness.

If you had read the above the conversation a bit closer you would see its about attitudes towards VRT. It has nothing to do with not being able to pay (certainly what Im discussing isnt).

10% gross wage for a year penalty? Considering how much salary tax already exists then some people would be better off not working at all. What a bizarre suggestion.

Again, think carefully, if there was a tax tomorrow on something you take for granted, perhaps say a Window Tax in your home, would you be so quick to so harshly condemn any dissent? Because VRT has existed for a long time it becomes more "accepted" but no less acceptable.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    10% gross wage for a year penalty? Considering how much salary tax already exists then some people would be better off not working at all. What a bizarre suggestion.

What a bizzare rebuttal. Better than prison. The deterrent must be harsh, or it will never deter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

What a bizzare rebuttal. Better than prison. The deterrent must be harsh, or it will never deter.

You're gone way off on a tangent. Appropriate penalty for the appropriate crime. Answer the question in the section of the quotation you deleted if you please.

EDIT: Wait a sec, aren't you our resident Garda? I find your knee jerk, hardline penalties (to something that in reality harms no one) a rather troubling mindset to have in such a profession.

I'm genuinely interested, so can you tell me why you wouldn't if you feel so offended by this. Is it because you know the neighbour personally or get on well with them?

What about family, or in-laws? If your girlfriend's brother say (assuming for a minute you have either :)) brings in a car and doesn't VRT it the next day, do you report him?

I've replied to you as you were the first to answer my question, but it applies to everyone who objects to people not paying VRT unless they have to.
    What I'm getting at really is are you (all) selectively judging who the law applies to, or are you reporting everyone (regardless of your relationship to/with them).

If the former, then really you are in no position to object at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

dont say they are stealing from you because nobody is stopping you from buying a car in the UK and doing the same.

Don't complain when some teenage skanger steals your car, just steal your neighbour's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread is frustrating me because I really don't want to find my self up on one of those high horses I've heard so much about, but I'm finding it hard to help myself... :o
    ...nobody is stopping you from buying a car in the UK and doing the same.

Yes they are. They work for customs & revenue. Some of them work in the Gardai. They will enforce the taxation legislation and confiscate/fine etc. etc.

I'm not a do gooder, I'm not going to dob in my neighbour for not paying VRT, but there's nothing you can say to me that will convince me that VRT isn't payable on cars imported normally by Irish residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is there any source for finding out how much tax per motorist we pay??

Lots of countries charge different taxes and different rates of those taxes but I'm not aware of any that have the full spectrum of taxes forced on the population as enthusiastically as the humble Paddy.

Clever government marketing has seen to that. Mr Ford Focus and Mrs Nissan Micra couldn't care less about there little shopping trolley or how much they're being screwed we all are and as long as Brian Dobson tells them small uns have less tax therefore they're the smart ones.

Unless we plan on getting Mr Ford Focus and Mrs Nissan Micra to get interested (ie, upset as we are they should be) in how much we all as motorists pay which will be nigh on impossible- that's why they are the blissful ignorant and couldn't give a s***e, nothing will ever happen.

AudiChris wrote: »
    This thread is frustrating me because I really don't want to find my self up on one of those high horses I've heard so much about, but I'm finding it hard to help myself... :o

Yes they are. They work for customs & revenue. Some of them work in the Gardai. They will enforce the taxation legislation and confiscate/fine etc. etc.

I'm not a do gooder, I'm not going to dob in my neighbour for not paying VRT, but there's nothing you can say to me that will convince me that VRT isn't payable on cars imported normally by Irish residents.

I see where your coming from. Yes the customs are there to stop you but nobody is stopping anybody from taking the risk of driving without paying VRT. Now in fairness from reading on here the risk of getting caught appears to be much higher in certain parts of the country.

I would also like to make the point that not every car on an english plate is being driven illegally. As I said above Im fully entitled to drive my car on UK plates for six months or longer as its hard to prove when the six months started;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely interested, so can you tell me why you wouldn't if you feel so offended by this. Is it because you know the neighbour personally or get on well with them?

What about family, or in-laws? If your girlfriend's brother say (assuming for a minute you have either :)) brings in a car and doesn't VRT it the next day, do you report him?

I've replied to you as you were the first to answer my question, but it applies to everyone who objects to people not paying VRT unless they have to.
    What I'm getting at really is are you (all) selectively judging who the law applies to, or are you reporting everyone (regardless of your relationship to/with them).

If the former, then really you are in no position to object at all...

I've had a customs officer come to meet me for a tour of my workplace carpark. It's a big multinational, with something of the order of 1000 cars parked outside. He's taken down all non-Irish registrations, and will be back in the future to take another list for comparison.... Then he'll start looking to prosecute. Nobody has had a warning, and they won't either. This is off the back of me reporting the number of observed cars on foreign plates which I know are 'in country' for well over 6 months and in some cases for years....

I've reported family - An uncle and a cousin for not registering cars within a couple of weeks of import. I also wouldn't hesitate to report close friends or anyone else for that matter.

If you don't like the taxes associated with importing a vehicle, don't import one. Taxes are taxes - Pay them or move abroad for a taxation policy that better suits your idea of fairness. Or take a bus. I don't care what you do, as long as you obey the law of the land and that includes paying your taxes.

Feckin' bums, crooks and spongers don't.

I would report anyone not within my immediate family. Within the family, I'd make sure they were going to get to grips with it at some stage.

I didn't join up to evade tax or help others to evade it.

Gil_Dub wrote: »

I've reported family - An uncle and a cousin for not registering cars within a couple of weeks of import. I also wouldn't hesitate to report close friends or anyone else for that matter.

:eek: Thats a new low! I would imagine your off there christmas card list if they know it was you that is!

I would report anyone not within my immediate family. Within the family, I'd make sure they were going to get to grips with it at some stage.

I didn't join up to evade tax or help others to evade it.

With all due respect though, I'm sure most people do actually intend to pay the VRT "at some stage" (albeit usually when they're caught).
    Therefore really you can't fairly criticise those same people when you are prepared to let others away with the same offense.

:eek: Thats a new low! I would imagine your off there christmas card list if they know it was you that is!

It's not a low and I couldn't give a flying ufck what they think to be honest.

Cheats and tax-evaders will always feel hard done by when they're caught. The rest of us should feel hard done by when they get away with it.... More importantly, we should stand up and say/do something about it.

For me, that's a quick call to my new friend in Customs and a very helpful investigations desk in Revenue.

The difference between posters on this thread comes down to how someone who pays their taxes (all of them) sees things, and the perspective of someone who chooses not to pay their dues.

I pay my taxes (NOT that I like having to do it), and I'll gladly shop ANYONE who doesn't. It's my right, and I consider it to be the right thing to do. They're nothing personal in this - I don't discriminate. I've shopped a guy with a 97 Cinquecento, and a guy with an 06 A6. Taxes are taxes....

And I'll be renewing my motor tax in November, no matter how hard Lenihan hits me this afternoon.... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

It's not a low and I couldn't give a flying ufck what they think to be honest.

Cheats and tax-evaders will always feel hard done by when they're caught. The rest of us should feel hard done by when they get away with it.... More importantly, we should stand up and say/do something about it.

For me, that's a quick call to my new friend in Customs and a very helpful investigations desk in Revenue.

The difference between posters on this thread comes down to how someone who pays their taxes (all of them) sees things,and the perspective of someone who chooses not to pay their dues.

I pay my taxes (NOT that I like having to do it), and I'll gladly shop ANYONE who doesn't. It's my right, and I consider it to be the right thing to do. They're nothing personal in this - I don't discriminate. I've shopped a guy with a 97 Cinquecento, and a guy with an 06 A6. Taxes are taxes....

And I'll be renewing my motor tax in November, no matter how hard Lenihan hits me this afternoon.... ;-)

Well well well, aren't you great!!
    "Cheats and tax evaders will always feel hard done by when there caught" yip, your right there....a bit like FF, and the government at the moment isn't it?
    " we should stand up and say/do something about it." When was the last time you stood up and complained about the abnormal tax the motorist pays in this country?
    "My new friend in Customs" Well.......'nuff said really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I've reported family - An uncle and a cousin for not registering cars within a couple of weeks of import. I also wouldn't hesitate to report close friends or anyone else for that matter.<SNIP>

Wow.
    What did they say when you told them?
    What?
    What do you mean you didn't tell them?
    Oh...Ahem...Ya, what you say....?
    I see - anonymously informing was it?
    .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    - Why didn't you just call a day or two later to own up and call them nasty, sculking thieves in [glorious] person - just since you're standing safely on the righteous moral high ground?

Gil_Dub wrote:
    If you don't like the taxes associated with importing a vehicle, don't import one. <SNIP>

You know that VRT is a huge proportion of the cost of a new car from an Irish forecourt too don't ya? VRT is also why the dashboard of an Irish sold car is littered with little plastic rectangles filling the holes where the buttons for nice little extra specifications should have been, but couldn't actually be included after VRT priced the higher spec models of that car into the stratosphere.

- The first car I ever owned in this Country that didn't have w@nky plastic blanks both sides of the steering wheel and all over the centre console was bought in Bristol. - Same spec car was never, ever available in Ireland.

VRT is the belligerent child borne of the septic loins of a fat sweating bureaucrat who has a sick smile on his greedy little face because he knows he is getting away with something at the expense of people who don't have the intelligence, balls or basic cop-on to cry "foul".

- If you act like a flaccid, insipid little drone there will always be some Gobshíte that will be more than happy to treat you like one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Raiser wrote: »
    - If you act like a flaccid, insipid little drone there will always be some Gobshíte that will be more than happy to treat you like one.

If you break the law, don't be surprised when people treat you as a criminal.

We "insipid little drones" prefer the term to "greedy selfish pr*cks who won't pay their taxes". :)

Grow up lads, ye ain't children anymore, you've got responsibilities to live up to, like it or not. :cool:

We "insipid little drones" prefer the term to "greedy selfish pr*cks who won't pay their taxes". :)

Grow up lads, ye ain't children anymore, you've got responsibilities to live up to, like it or not. :cool:

You're [purposefully?] confusing tax and VRT, when somebody complains about the injustices associated with a cynically unfair, made-up tax such as VRT its not fair to suddenly accuse them of not wanting to pay any taxes.*

I haven't seen any posts on this thread where the poster complained about having to pay taxes to maintain our marvellous, schools, roads and hospitals and keep our streets as crime-free and safe as they currently are.....[too subtle?]

This was misplaced earlier ya féckin' Joker ya, should have been around here
    > :cool:

*Edit: In fact I've just decided to tax my car ASAP for 12 months - just to help out ya know.

Wow.
    What did they say when you told them?
    What?
    What do you mean you didn't tell them?
    Oh...Ahem...Ya, what you say....?
    I see - anonymously informing was it?
    .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... ....
    - Why didn't you just call a day or two later to own up and call them nasty, sculking thieves in [glorious] person - just since you're standing safely on the righteous moral high ground?

What makes you think I care if they know it's me or not? There's no point in my causing family strife, when the goal can be accomplished anonymously. Now, let's not be silly and make this personal - It's not. I couldn't care less who I report. Anyone who's illegally driving a foreign registered vehicle in this state is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

You know that VRT is a huge proportion of the cost of a new car from an Irish forecourt too don't ya? VRT is also why the dashboard of an Irish sold car is littered with little plastic rectangles filling the holes where the buttons for nice little extra specifications should have been, but couldn't actually be included after VRT priced the higher spec models of that car into the stratosphere.

- The first car I ever owned in this Country that didn't have w@nky plastic blanks both sides of the steering wheel and all over the centre console was bought in Bristol. - Same spec car was never, ever available in Ireland.

VRT is the belligerent child borne of the septic loins of a fat sweating bureaucrat who has a sick smile on his greedy little face because he knows he is getting away with something at the expense of people who don't have the intelligence, balls or basic cop-on to cry "foul".

Blah blah blah. Who cares? I don't. I couldn't give a toss whether you've to pedal your car where you're going. Pay the TAX due on it and you're good to go as far as I'm concerned. Don't confuse the facts with your foolish references to feckin' specifications. They're entirely unrelated when we get down to the FACT that VRT is a tax you must pay. End of story.

The constant whimpering from tax cheats about how VRT is illegal is really tiresome. The matter of whether or not it's legal/illegal can of course be raised, but that doesn't put a stay on your legal obligation to pay the tax in the meantime....

BTW - Here's some food for thought. In the Netherlands, you pay 25% of the value of a new car as a 'recycling charge' for its disposal. Bitch and moan enough about how VRT should be removed and the entire base of taxpayers loaded instead, and the government will see sense and 'rebrand' VRT as a disposal charge instead.... Like it or not sunshine, we're going to keep paying it in one form or another.

What will you lot whinge about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I

Jesus, Get a life!!!Thats takes the biscuit, You won't have many friends for long. There's word for people like you, unfortunately I'd get banned if I post it :mad:...However I suspect your just trolling.

I can only hope karma gets you with a swift kick in the jaw!

What makes you think I care if they know it's me or not? There's no point in my causing family strife, when the goal can be accomplished anonymously.

Am I don't know, just a hunch, most normal folks wouldn't be boasting about throwing their hard working relatives to the bureaucratic hounds for the sake of a misplaced ideal......Anyway doesn't the second part answer the first part Gil? ;)

Gil_Dub wrote:
    The constant whimpering from tax cheats about how VRT is illegal is really tiresome. The matter of whether or not it's legal/illegal can of course be raised, but that doesn't put a stay on your legal obligation to pay the tax in the meantime....

How can you not question anything Citizen number 11436789C? - with that mindset Rosa Parks should have been dragged off that bus and beaten, you could volunteer to drive a shuttle-bus from the ghettoes to Auschwitz and you'd cheering for the tanks at the mention of Tiananmen square.......All with a clear conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

What makes you think I care if they know it's me or not? There's no point in my causing family strife, when the goal can be accomplished anonymously. Now, let's not be silly and make this personal - It's not. I couldn't care less who I report. Anyone who's illegally driving a foreign registered vehicle in this state is fair game as far as I'm concerned.

aren't you a good little girl eh? :rolleyes:

whatever about ratting out a stranger but your own blood :eek:.

i suggest you get a hobby :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and I suggest you all take it outside.

Thread closed before it gets really nasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement