Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SIGN WRITEING REMOVAL

Options
  • 11-10-2008 5:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove signwriteing of a van,it is on it 4yrs,there must be a better way than heating it with a hairdryer??????????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Assuming is not painted on then the hairdryer* method is actually the best.
    Don't over-heat it though and use white spirit to remove the glue. You may need to t-cut as the non covered paintwork will have faded.

*by hairdryer I mean a proper heat gun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

SteveC wrote: »
    Assuming is not painted on then the hairdryer* method is actually the best.
    Don't over-heat it though and use white spirit to remove the glue. You may need to t-cut as the non covered paintwork will have faded.

*by hairdryer I mean a proper heat gun.
    I thought so,yhanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd say get the compound out, you'll more than likely still be able to see the writing due to the rest of the paint wearing down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I was just about to post exactly what they said.

It's the only way really.

Oh, and even with the compound you'll probably still be able to make out where the old signwriting was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Boiling water will remove the decals, you'll need to compound/polish afterwards to remove the shadow... especially if its red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement