Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Credit

• 11-10-2008 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering why O2 have cut their bodit from €100 down to €40 for new phones?? Customers are now losing out on €60 free credit.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That €100 was not straight forward either.....it was more like €40 if you read the T&C's

No idea why they do it, I presume 02 customers will still by 02 phones regardless.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Used to be 90euro regardless of top ups. Then 140euro if you topped up every month. Now 40euro if you top up. Credit crunch.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

another reason with offers like freetexts it has to be bought topup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's all about money saving and customer loyalty (perhaps forced loyalty).

If you're getting a tenner a month for not even topping up then the network is making zero money. They've subsidized the phone and the credit and are pretty much making nothing.

If you're getting a tenner a month for topping up a tenner then they're getting at least a fiver from you (assuming profits at 50% which is a random guess / stab in the dark, but I think you get the point).

Money money money. The world of business sucks but so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

I was just wondering why O2 have cut their bodit from ?100 down to ?40 for new phones?? Customers are now losing out on ?60 free credit.:mad:

Sign of the times i'm afraid. I think vodafone are down to 20 on their new phones and meteor also on most of theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

First off its not free credit, its bonus credit, and the phone you paid 60 quid or whatever for is hugely subsidised at a cost to the network, why does everyone think a phone only costs what you pay for it in the shop? the mobile industry is pretty unique in that the companies sell their phones at a loss all the time, and the "oh its all about the money" argument is ludicrous, of course its about money, if the network made no money you wouldnt be able to make phone calls in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I was just wondering why O2 have cut their bodit from €100 down to €40 for new phones?? Customers are now losing out on €60 free credit.:mad:

Recession????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

mathew wrote: »
    Recession????

People taking the p*ss maybe?????

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Random wrote: »
    It's all about money saving and customer loyalty (perhaps forced loyalty).

If you're getting a tenner a month for not even topping up then the network is making zero money. They've subsidized the phone and the credit and are pretty much making nothing.

If you're getting a tenner a month for topping up a tenner then they're getting at least a fiver from you (assuming profits at 50% which is a random guess / stab in the dark, but I think you get the point).

Money money money. The world of business sucks but so be it.

50%? Rubbish. it's more like 80% markup. The phone companies aren't going to suffer at all during the recession. People will still text and talk as much. The mobile phone companies make huge amounts of money, especially off the Irish, i.e. based on phone call and text charge figures per country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Recession!
    Credit crunch!!

Simple as that I would say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

veritable wrote: »
    50%? Rubbish. it's more like 80% markup. The phone companies aren't going to suffer at all during the recession. People will still text and talk as much. The mobile phone companies make huge amounts of money, especially off the Irish, i.e. based on phone call and text charge figures per country.

First of all theres a pretty big difference between mark-up and profit, you learn that doing Junior Cert business, second the revenue per customer is declining at the moment for networks.

In answer to the OP, same as every company it's a case of belt tightening.

Advertisement