Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 network Ireland

• 11-10-2008 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anyone know anyway of putting a 3 bill pay sim into an i phone. I bought a class mobile phone from china and went into three today to say that the sim didnt work. He said that 3 sim only works on 3g phones and this is a 2.5g phone. Has anyone got over this, cos its a pile of **** to say you cant pick your own phone to work on the three network.

Have a link there to the phone. Class phone cost €250 including delivery

http://www.china-mobile-phone.com/2008-08/m88-b.htm

Recommend this site to anybody looking for a new phone. Can somebody help!!!!!! as I want to stay with 3 as I have had no problems with them yet !!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Well that is not an iPhone you are linking to... I guess it will not work in that Chinese phone, not many Chinese phones are compatible with 3g. As regards the iPhone 3G with 3pay/billpay sim, I am not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms....more suitable for here I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's now way around it, your on a 3 3G network so you require a 3G phone.....the 3 sim works in very few 2G phones.......I think you may send it back for a refund:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

beano1979 wrote: »
    cos its a pile of **** to say you cant pick your own phone to work on the three network.

You can as long as it is a 3G phone. some of the chinese phones on offer in various sites look good (like iPhone / N95 copies etc) but for some strange reason none of them are 3G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

by the way, what possesed you to buy a 2G phone when your on a 3G network:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

by the way, what possesed you to buy a 2G phone when your on a 3G network:confused:

Probably thought it would work if if took out the sim and rubbed it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Does anyone know anyway of putting a 3 bill pay sim into an i phone. I bought a class mobile phone from china and went into three today to say that the sim didnt work. He said that 3 sim only works on 3g phones and this is a 2.5g phone. Has anyone got over this, cos its a pile of **** to say you cant pick your own phone to work on the three network.

Recommend this site to anybody looking for a new phone. Can somebody help!!!!!! as I want to stay with 3 as I have had no problems with them yet !!!!!!!!!!!

Not with a forty foot barge pole, these chinese knockoffs are more trouble than they're worth. Trust me on this, have had a few customers come in to me with problems with them claiming they have a warranty that I somehow have to honour.....:rolleyes:

Three are a 3g network, 3g phones are what they sell. They also supply simcards of which there are a number of types. Some are designed to use with 2g and 3g handsets - these are handy for the likes of incumbent operators who own their own infrastructure. Challenger networks like three (and in the case of meteor in the past) who are buying airtime from another network (vodafone) in order to plug the gaps in their coverage, generally only supply the latter, the logic being that you can't just whack your sim in a cheapass phone and spend all your time on the vodafone network, costing your network more.

If you read the terms and conditions of service (which most people don't and get extremely angry if you ever have quote it to them "well I wouldn't know anything about that now....") you'll find that most networks stipulate that you must use approved equipment on their network and they'd be within their rights to chuck you off the network, not that i've ever heard of it happening.

Long and short is you need a 3g handset. If you don't like it you can port out. Its not is if it takes long and there's no faffing with PAC codes here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

You can as long as it is a 3G phone. some of the chinese phones on offer in various sites look good (like iPhone / N95 copies etc) but for some strange reason none of them are 3G.

As far as I remember, the Chinese Authorities recently just awarded 3G licenses there and it won't be a form of 3G compatible with that commonly found here.

This might explain the lack of 3G phones from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you paid $275 for that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

that is an iClone, not an iPhone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

He said that 3 sim only works on 3g phones and this is a 2.5g phone. Has anyone got over this, cos its a pile of **** to say you cant pick your own phone to work on the three network.

As stated, its a technological reason not a policy. You need a 3G handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Class phone.:) lol on the floor 12hours. The Chinese phones have useless UI, are slow and battery quote usually 3700mAh when 800 is closer to the truth. I don't believe this phone has a not-tampered-with Win Mobile OS...

Advertisement