Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best location in Co Cork

Options
  • 11-10-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

If you could chose to live in any town/village in Co Cork, where would you chose?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Kinsale probably..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Cork Local

How about a top 3 or 5.

I'm looking for places to go, possibly live... alternatives to the more well known (I agree, as I like Kinsale too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

West Cork is probably your best bet.

Clonakilty, Glengarriff, Bantry and Schull are all pretty nice places

Anyone got any suggestions closer to Cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Your welcome. You did use the word 'any'.

Mallow really that bad?

• Advertisement

Your right I did say 'any' and I am sure your suggestions are all correct (I've been looking closer to Cork, that's all). Furthest out would be Clon.

Nothing against Mallow but I'm renting next to my in-laws....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How close are you looking to get to the city? I've lived in Carrigaline all my life so I'd naturally give it a thumbs up. It's about 20 minutes on the bus.

Thanks for your suggestion Necronomicon. I would say "commutable" whatever that means... 45/60 mins drive (max).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well clon is only about a 45 minute drive from the city. maybe an hour if traffic catches ya.

other than that, how about rose hill or marybourgh hill? both kinda between carrigaline and douglas. still very close to everything but with a bit more space and lots less scumbaggery

Thanks Mawk.

I know marybourgh hill (ish) but not rose hill - something to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

Hi City local, what exactly are you looking for in a place? other than not wanting to be right nextdoor to your inlaws. Like what are your top 3 priorities on the ' where to live' list? This might help us scale down the reccommondations. Have you considered Cobh, it's handy if you need to commute into Cork for work with the train.

I haven't been to Cobh but we have looked at East Cork.

What do we want from a location:
    Commutable to Cork city (1hr max, ideally less).
    The closer to the sea the better (I appreciate the prices goes up so not necessarily looking for the sea view).
    Good Schools.
    Not an estate, so a little bit of space. I would say ideally walking distance (1 mile?) from the town (local amenities).
    A nice feel to a town - a difficult one to describe in writing... but first impressions of a place as to the look and feel.
    Not asking for much, I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

I've not spent too much time in Cobh myself but it seems like a town that ticks all your boxes, otherwise maybe Midleton, as far as I know it has good schools, as does Fermoy. Have you checked out Daft.ie ?
    I just had a quick look at Daft and it looks like rental property is very expensive in Cobh and also in Midleton, though you may be in a 'everything is negotiable' situation as there seems to be 136 properties for rent in and around Midleton. I spotted a 4 bedroomed detached on Greenhill in Fermoy for 800 a month, which isn't bad for a big enough house I suppose, and it is a nice part of Fermoy I think. But then you may not need a 4 bedroomed house, and if your kids are not in secondary school a village with a small national school is sometimes a better choice, for the kids anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

What about the likes of Tower or Blarney?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Top Dog wrote: »
    What about the likes of Tower or Blarney?

Woof woof... :)

Whitegate, by the sea yet reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Woof woof... :)

Whitegate, by the sea yet reasonable.

Actually says closer to the sea, which technically my suggestions do fulfill ;)

Also tick the boxes for closer commute to the city, and being so close it also expands the number of schools within reasonable distance.

And while the OP might not like living close to the in-laws, if they moved to Blarney/Tower they could still enlist the in-laws for babysitting duties.

See? I've given this some thought :p
    I haven't been to Cobh but we have looked at East Cork.

What do we want from a location:
    Commutable to Cork city (1hr max, ideally less).
    The closer to the sea the better (I appreciate the prices goes up so not necessarily looking for the sea view).
    Good Schools.
    Not an estate, so a little bit of space. I would say ideally walking distance (1 mile?) from the town (local amenities).
    A nice feel to a town - a difficult one to describe in writing... but first impressions of a place as to the look and feel.
    Not asking for much, I know :D

Advertisement