Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folding wooden Table with hinges

Options
  • 11-10-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hello. I'm going to make a folding poker table and have a couple of questions.
    The table will be 7' long with the cut in the middle. I will be using 3/4 thick plywood and it will be covered with foam and felt.

Now, my questions are what hinges will be strong enough to hold this? And when attaching the hinges should the 2 pieces of wood be flush or should there be a space between them, and if so how much of a space?

Oh also i would like the hinges not to be sticking out as the poker table will be sitting on the dining table and any hinges sticking out would scratch the surface. Can the hinges be sunk so they are level with the wood?

I know i sound like a complete muppet here but i have made tables before, just never had to use hinges and i dont really fancy fitting it all together and finding ive messed it up(which i will do without some pointers from someone who knows a bit about this):)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Just realised there is a woodcraft section, maybe this should be moved? Apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

you should use a piano hinge, its the long continuous type, with a slight gap between the two table sides. if you want the hinge to finish flush with the table youll have to rout or otherwise a rebate along the two joining edges for the hinge to sit into. you could use a skill saw if you cant get a router

Advertisement