Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'HOW TO DJ (PROPERLY)' Frank Broughton & Bill Brewster

• 11-10-2008 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Bought this book yesterday is Eason, only started reading it but it seems good. Anyone else ever read it? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Bought this book yesterday is Eason, only started reading it but it seems good. Anyone else ever read it? Any thoughts?

I've read it.
    Detailed, honest, funny and very well written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Read it, bought it to give to someone as a pisstake present but decided to keep it for myself - its very well written and covers far more than just mixing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Must pick up a copy for myself, I've heard nothing but good things about it...
    How much was it in Easons? Seems fairly overpriced on play and amazon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I thought it was a bit basic myself. I wouldn't really consider myself an advanced DJ but I didn't learn too much from it. Most is common sense for anyone who has been DJing for a while. Great for a biginner or novice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the authors of it also has a book called "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" which covers the history of DJing. Very interesting and I'd recommend it to anyone who's specifically one-genre (like myself) or fairly young (ditto) as it actually goes back to the real start of DJing - even pre Jimmy Saville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

tman wrote: »

Free delivery from here and they're reliable.
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/search.php?key=+%27HOW+TO+DJ+(PROPERLY)%27+Frank+Broughton+%26+Bill+Brewster++&by=title&Button1.x=2&Button1.y=12&Button1=Go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

MYOB wrote: »
    One of the authors of it also has a book called "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life" which covers the history of DJing. Very interesting and I'd recommend it to anyone who's specifically one-genre (like myself) or fairly young (ditto) as it actually goes back to the real start of DJing - even pre Jimmy Saville.

Brilliant book!

Read this in 2005 just as I has started to think about DJing properly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

tman wrote: »

dead right there, I had it on my wish list on amazon for ages and lately I was informed that the price of it was after going up! It is fairly expensive alright. I reckon they are pumping the price up if reviews are good and if demand surges (just my little 'ol cynical view :) )

As someone else already mentioned, this is also a good book apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

311 wrote: »

thanks for the link...have you purchased from them before many times? How speedy are they on delivery? I would use them in protest to Amazon's prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've used them three or four times ,takes about a week or a little more.
    The free delivery is nice as it's free for the bigger items aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Just bought it, looking forward to reading it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Its good but has any1 found the mixing part quite poor? I obviously know how to cue, but it doesnt go in2 what volume the track comin in should be or here the EQs should be

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Have both this and Last Night A DJ Saved My Life - as has been said, Last Night is a spectacular read and I would highly recommend to anyone into their music, DJ or not.

How to DJ is a good read too but didn't quite capture me in the same way, serves a different purpose though I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭john_graydon

Well have just ordered the book. Is there anywhere in Dublin where you can get tuition. Have bought cd deck Denon and would like to learn the steps on becoming a dj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Finally, a use for those book tokens. Gonna go in and get both of them after the exams :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Well have just ordered the book. Is there anywhere in Dublin where you can get tuition. Have bought cd deck Denon and would like to learn the steps on becoming a dj.
    do not get tuition for djing(well dont part with money for it)
    honestly check youtube for videos or ask on here.surely you know someone else who is djing,ask them
    but dont pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    do not get tuition for djing(well dont part with money for it)
    honestly check youtube for videos or ask on here.surely you know someone else who is djing,ask them
    but dont pay.
    Agree 1 billion %

There's way too much info on youtube now to be handing over money to someone to teach you how to count to four.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

My advice is definitely get tuition/help - but but I'm sure you can find a mate etc to teach you instead of paying a stranger etc. Having someone show you the basic fundamentals can be a huge help and get you far more advanced ina much quicker time than if you were to just learn 100% on your own.

I've helped a few friends who were complete beginners and actually you'd be amazed how quickly people can advance when the right way of doing things is clearly explained - and any mistakes they make are pointed out and shown how to improve etc.

So, read the book, watch the youtube video's & ask someone to come over and give you tips on your mixing. But most importantly - the old cliché - PRACTICE!

Oh, and check this thread for Advice, Tips & Tricks for Beginner DJ's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Don't pay for tuition man! I would be happy to teach you for free...we also have DJ practice sessions for anybody interested, a get together of DJ's from various music genres and skill levels.

PM me if you and anybody else is interested!

Cheers,
    Acman

• Advertisement

Great idea Acman - I'm up for a mixing session, I know I said it beofre but been really busy but as of June I'll have more time and deffo want to do it then!
    Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah I'd be up for this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Great, glad to see some more interest folks!

At the moment we practice in my gaff on the northside, but if its more convenient for people we could rent a room in the city centre. In any case, people are welcome to join anytime, just send me a PM!

We have all the equipment necessary (1000 CDJ's, Technics 1210's, Serato, DJM 800, amp and monitors), so all you have to do is bring your music in whatever format. What we generally do is let each DJ have a 10 to 20 min mix in rotation...discuss the mix, share ideas, constructive criticism and all that jazz. It's a great opportunity for beginner and expert DJ's alike to learn and hone their skills...not to mention hanging out with and meeting some like minded people :D

To the beginner DJ's - dont by shy, we all started somewhere and its a great opportunity to start off on the right foot!

To the experienced DJ's - great for honing your skills, passing on your knowledge and getting some good practice in!

We look forward to seeing some new faces!
    Cheers,
    Acman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

acman wrote: »

At the moment we practice in my gaff on the northside, but if its more convenient for people we could rent a room in the city centre. In any case, people are welcome to join anytime, just send me a PM!

We have all the equipment necessary (1000 CDJ's, Technics 1210's, Serato, DJM 800, amp and monitors), so all you have to do is bring your music in whatever format. What we generally do is let each DJ have a 10 to 20 min mix in rotation...discuss the mix, share ideas, constructive criticism and all that jazz. It's a great opportunity for beginner and expert DJ's alike to learn and hone their skills...not to mention hanging out with and meeting some like minded people :D

To the beginner DJ's - dont by shy, we all started somewhere and its a great opportunity to start off on the right foot!

To the experienced DJ's - great for honing your skills, passing on your knowledge and getting some good practice in!

Cheers,
    Acman.

Excellent idea Acman I would be up for this keep me in the loop as to a date an time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭john_graydon

Thanks for all the replys, will check out utube and sent a pm to acman. ||So hopefully see some of you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

acman wrote: »

Cheers,
    Acman.

That actually sounds like great fun!

Advertisement