Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I hate my car

Options
  • 11-10-2008 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

really do, it's a 05 toyota corolla hatchback, silver. Only have it a year and hate it with a passion but don't know why.
    anyway - a guy at a car dealer has said he would do a straight swop for a 3 series D bmw year 2000 - nct not due till 2010.. am I mad? diesel 2 litre.
    It's is good condition.
    and I like it.
    I couldn't for the life of me sell the corolla earlier this year, even tho I kept lowerin the price - not a sausage of an offer.

any advice? I don't care that much about cars - I just know I like the BMW and I hate the corolla.

Also - I have no extra money to trade with.

anyone got an opinion? Good advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

First of all no that is in no way a good deal, at all.

The mother had a 03 fiesta for one day short of a year, and she hated it with a passion, so i just for rid of it, she went back a year and bought a Golf, which she fell in love with.

Cheapest bmw
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/3-Series/d-NCT/1205087/

Cheapest corrolla
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Corolla/1.4-4DR/1163399/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

From a quick search on carzone:
    The Corolla is worth about 15k, BMW is worth around 8k.

You'd be mad.

SteveC wrote: »
    From a quick search on carzone:
    The Corolla is worth about 15k, BMW is worth around 8k.

You'd be mad.

+1
    The corrolla i showed is the cheapest by a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Realtine wrote: »
    really do, it's a 05 toyota corolla hatchback, silver. Only have it a year and hate it with a passion but don't know why.
    anyway - a guy at a car dealer has said he would do a straight swop for a 3 series D bmw year 2000 - nct not due till 2010.. am I mad? diesel 2 litre.
    It's is good condition.
    and I like it.
    I couldn't for the life of me sell the corolla earlier this year, even tho I kept lowerin the price - not a sausage of an offer.

any advice? I don't care that much about cars - I just know I like the BMW and I hate the corolla.

Also - I have no extra money to trade with.

anyone got an opinion? Good advice appreciated.

You must have some reasons to hate it ? just curious why you bought it in the first place

Barr wrote: »
    You must have some reasons to hate it ? just curious why you bought it in the first place

Alot of people impulse buy cars, only to find out in the long run they hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Alot of people impulse buy cars, only to find out in the long run they hate them.

Takes me about a month to settle into a car properly, so even a carefully thought out car could be something you hate after a while, especially if its got some annoying trait, like mine for instance which has a tendency to squeak when idleing. (should be sorted after some maintence soon I hope)

seclachi wrote: »
    Takes me about a month to settle into a car properly, so even a carefully thought out car could be something you hate after a while, especially if its got some annoying trait, like mine for instance which has a tendency to squeak when idleing. (should be sorted after some maintence soon I hope)

It's the luck of the draw really, i would only buy a car after i've driven a few different ones etc. etc. The mother bought that Fiesta literally three hours after she seriously said she was keeping her current one. She hated it oh so very much and to this day still does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ask him for the Bmw and 3 grand. Hes obviously gonna try and shift the toyota for like 14k so he'd still be making a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Iv'e seen an awful lot of BMW 3 series and VW passats imported from UK and sold on the forecourt of 2nd hand car dealers (STG/Euro rate favourable to Irish Buyers over the last 6 months)...I really don't think you are on to a deal thats anywhere close to a win-win- not saying the BMW is dodgy but I've heard of and seen first hand, enough of those cars clocked to stop me from ever going back into a 2nd hand dealer again (but that's just my experience)

I always thought Corollas sold themselves- obviously not

Reflect on the price you asked at the time - was it closer to a dealer price? If so, take off a few grand- someone out there wants your car, especially at a private sellers price
    Be patient and wait a couple of weeks and guaranteed, it will sell if its priced correctly - place the add in everything- Buyand Sell, CBG, Evening Herald, Irish Times as well as online- I sold a car 2 years ago and it was Buy and Sell that got me the buyers phoning up- not the online add (just food for thought) - if its a good car, it'll sell..no-one wants to spend money on a crap car, especially with a recession on, so have faith in what you are selling- especially if you do get a buyer calling.

Then go to whatever dealer/private sale you want and bargain like mad- its a buyers market afterall..(if you have to, rent a car in the meantime while getting your new car of choice- you will still save money over the type of trade-in you're talking about here.-
    Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

yeah I agree with all that was said, I knew in my heart that it wasn't a a good thing to do, the corolla is worth a lot more than the bmw, and I am going to try and make a better effort to sell it and not just online like I did before, I'll see how it goes over the next month or so, I'm not that desperate to sell.
    And in the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a better deal and take it from there.

thanks for advice, it's kept me from making a bad choice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you could afford to be thinking of taking a 10k straight swap, why not put your Corolla on for €11,500 and see what you can get with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

It really is a bad time to loose your head and switch your car. I would hold onto the car for the moment as you should not have any issues with the Toyota for years to come, as for the 00 BMW it is 8 years old and things will go wrong and start costing you money. Hold on and the car sales problems will go away and you can spend some time looking for the right car for you.

Advertisement