Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another "help with a build" thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Just ordered the above build + the 22" moniter.

the 1gig 4870 wasn't in stock so went with the 512 OCd gainward card instead.

couldnt push the budget to get 3*2gig sticks of ram but at a later date I'll pick up another stick.

thanks guys. just wait for the parts to arrive so I can ask for halp¬!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kaimera wrote: »
    Just ordered the above build + the 22" moniter.

the 1gig 4870 wasn't in stock so went with the 512 OCd gainward card instead.

couldnt push the budget to get 3*2gig sticks of ram but at a later date I'll pick up another stick.

thanks guys. just wait for the parts to arrive so I can ask for halp¬!!

give us some feedback on the i7 too when you get it up and running. I'm hearing mixed reports about them so far, be nice to hear from someone who actually has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Dont forget a build log too :)

Will do guys.

Not sure when I'm home yet; supposed to be out of here by Sunday but might be off somewhere else before I'm back in DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My biggest problem right now is delivery :/
    (dunno where you live, but...) Komplett pick-up place in Blachardstown is open on Saturdays until 3pm.

=-=

You checked here for memory? Found them good for memory, and shipping is free, within Ireland/UK, me thinks.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    (dunno where you live, but...) Komplett pick-up place in Blachardstown is open on Saturdays until 3pm.

=-=

You checked here for memory? Found them good for memory, and shipping is free, within Ireland/UK, me thinks.
    I don't drive :/

Anyway, order is on it's way as of today; getting it delivered to a friends work address so should be grand.

s4m.com/memoryc.com I'll look at after I get it up and running.

c'est arrive!!

Parts arrived today; initial pics when I get a chance to take them off the cam.

Finally.

Stupid cabling was a nightmare; seems very messy BUT it is working.

Couldnt find my vista business key so just did an ultimate install to make sure I could load the OS onto it. Works a charm.

Currently re.installing x64 vista business at the minute.

Case is mint; running two of the fans - the 200mm top and the back rear exhaust fan.

i7 hs is huge! as is the 4870...2 frickin' power connections?!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/kaimera/PCBuild

I'll update with the latter pics when I can.

thanks guys :)

prime95 I left running last night, still running when I left for work this morning.

I have the i7 running @ 145*20, up from 130 stock; temps are still very cool but I want to stress it for another while to be sure.

Just waiting on 3dmark06 to download and I'll throw up some results later.

Crysis/Warhead, Far Cry2 do look very very good tho at high res. FC2 struggles a little bit on the ultra settings but very high detail is perfect.

On my p95 results; I didn't have round off checking enabled when I ran it last night but in the results log for p95 it has everything as passed.

Should I just run it again?

• Advertisement

3Dmark06 results

3dm2k6.jpg

No idea if they are good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would have thought you could get higher then that no problem. I beat that score in the past with a Q6600 and a single 8800GTS.

It's not a bad score or anything mind, just thought it'd be higher.

edit: looking around it seems to be the norm. Never mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Post a compare link, I score 1000 points higher with an oc'd q6600, compare is in my sig.

Found my score, but I did have the Q6600@3.2 and pushing the clocks any higher on the GTS crapped out. :)

quad3.jpg

Haven't run 3dmark on my current machine but probably dismal by comparison. Roll on Christmas...

Seems to be my SM2 scores are lower for some reason.

I am benching at 1680*1050 screen res tho; would it make that much of a difference?

Seems to be my SM2 scores are lower for some reason.

I am benching at 1680*1050 screen res tho; would it make that much of a difference?

Yes, use default 1280x1024

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, use default 1280x1024
    I got 156xx or so when I ran it this morning @ 1280*1024.

SM2 score still was low however :/

Also, Prime95 crapped out again on me with a unexpected error message.

I'll drop the fsb back to stock and run it again and I'll post up the results log also.

[edit]

Running the 8.11 11/12/2008 Catalyst drivers

Is the AMD Overdrive worth using or am I better just to tweak the bios settings and leave it at that?

3ghz or maybe 3.2 would be fine and dandy and it seems like I have sufficient cooling in the case to push the 920 to that.

according to this -> http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/395974-prime95-crashes-large-ffts.html

p95 failing is a sw problem and no fault of my system.

I'm running x64 business.

I'll double check what the last test it ran when I get home to see the result log.

Attached are the Prime95 32/64 bit result files.

x64 version died as well last night on me. I do hope it is the software.

Also attached is the 3dMarkVantage results and a 3dMark06 result @ 1280*1024

yahoo my old q6600/8800gts is unbeaten :D

• Advertisement

yahoo my old q6600/8800gts is unbeaten :D
    wot?

151xx v 154xx?

154 > 151 :P

Went to 3.2 with it, 160*20 and the pc rebooted by itself after a short time and then again when I went into the bios and changed it down to 140.

The core temps were circa 70 @ 3.2 as well.

It seems like it'll run fine @ 3ghz but for now 2.8 is good enough.

Ha sorry, my screen downsized that image - thought it was a 1! :D

I'd try to take it further but sold my q6600 and 8800gts long long ago...:(

No, I'm still winning :D

Installing my new e8600 tonight (only 125 inc postage off flaccus!), but stuck with an old 320mb gts. Getting a 4850x2 at christmas, should be able to rack up some good points then

hai guys,

i7 cpu coolers...komplett have 4-5 of them on the website but has anybody here used one thats listed?

or can recommend an i7 cooler?

I'm looking to replace the stock one and maybe push the 920 to 3.2/3.4.

it's either a cooler or a ssd but i dont fancy reinstalling at the minute.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I know the Akasa Nero is good, good results on FrostyTech, but I'm guessing Akasa wised up and realised they had the only serious non-bling LGA1366-friendly tower out there and have hiked up the price accordingly :(

The Nexus is average, fairly quiet and hideously overpriced for what it is.

The Spire TherMax series are rebadged CCFs with different fans, and we know that as far as air coolers are concerned the CCF is EPIC WIN. The 2 is a little cheaper and known to be quite noisy at full RPM but is very powerful even at minimum RPM (and freakin silent to boot). I'm not sure about the Pro; it seems to be another CCF but with an even fancier fan; Komplett says it will be in stock in, er, July :eek::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is meant to be one of the best on the market for i7 coolers atm. But change the fan for a high cfm one for even better cooling and lap it too:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=350719

Once the fan and lapping kit is added you'll have paid nearly four times as much as the TherMax for precious little improvement (which would probably be negated if you put the same fan on the TherMax!). Why in God's name is Komplett charging €100 for it?! It should be around €40 sans fan! :mad:

it's a simple case of popping off the old cooler, cleaning the paste [is there any particular way to removing it from teh cpu?] and then slotting in the new hsf ya?

• Advertisement

Er... no.

Intel doesn't include backplates so any cooler weighing more than ~480g needs to have one bolted on behind the mobo - which of course neccesitates its removal from the case. Pretty much any full-size (i.e. 120mm fan) tower cooler is more than heavy enough to neccesitate such an item (usually included mercifully!) And with larger footprint coolers you better pray there's no interference from mobo heatpipes and/or cooling arrays! :(

Best way to get all of the thermal paste off will usually involve using a dab of alcohol or acid with a microfiber/non-shedding cloth. Some claim that "greasy" solutions such as white spirit/naptha will do the most thorough job, but the residue would then have to be cleaned :rolleyes: There are some citric-based acid cleaners, but they're not as good. By far the best way to do it is using "dry" alcohol - either preservative or "70% alcohol" or good 90% isopropyl alcohol solution.

Advertisement