Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another "help with a build" thread!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

somakasvh wrote: »
    I have a 4870 with a similar cooler and it kicks some amount of heat into the case. I think the problem is that the fans blow directly onto the card, so the air isn't properly exhausted.

Maybe fitting a 120mm fan onto the side panel mount could improve airflow in the vicinity of the GPU.
    because of the noctua cpu cooler I cant fit a case fan on the side panel :/

with the side panel off the temps are ok (cept when i forget to turn up the fan speed when playing games, cod4 caused the 4870 to peak @ 89 celcius...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Side fans only hinder airflow, it helps the gpu, but can add a few degrees to your cpu temps as it disturbs the flow of air front to back. Neways gpu's can withstand higher temps than cpu's so would the cpu would be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

kaimera wrote: »
    because of the noctua cpu cooler I cant fit a case fan on the side panel :/

with the side panel off the temps are ok (cept when i forget to turn up the fan speed when playing games, cod4 caused the 4870 to peak @ 89 celcius...)

as a few of the lads have mentioned: modern GPUs operate around the 90 degree mark and are designed to take it.

If you are really worried about your temps you can fit a 3rd party cooler to the gpu such as: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=101

Fitted it to my 4870 as the fan noise was pissing me off, keeps the card between 65-70 degrees under full load @ 40% fan speed and the fan is very quiet.

Niggles: fitting the cooler is a bit of a pain as the default screws that come with your gfx card are very short and you have to use a little persuasion to get it on. (you alos void your warranty of course.....)

Also when powering the fan you have two options.

1) use of a molex splitter that offers 2 speeds, which I didn't like or

2) hook the fans directly to the gfx card, BUT you need to use something like rivatuner to set the fan speed as the gfx card will not do it properly by itself and in my case would not power the fans at all.

I hate you all :P

I have the build bug.

The 900 case is too small so next up is either the CM HAF or the Cosmo case.

and a ssd for the OS.

and I want to swap the 4870 for a x2 with more onboard RAM cos soon-ish perhaps, I'll have a 30" screen.

*cries*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I have the build bug.

and a ssd for the OS.

and I want to swap the 4870 for a x2 with more onboard RAM cos soon-ish perhaps, I'll have a 30" screen.

*cries*

What is the make of your current 4870 card? Does it have a reference cooler on it? My have not yet seen my 1GB Saphire hit more than the low 70s maximum. The cooler on this the same as the Toxic version so it is obviously helps I guess. I suppose a warm room doen't help but I can't imagine it accounting for more than a few degrees.

Anyway if you are getting a 4870X2 and a 30" monoitor it is you who will be the laughing soon. In fact if I see you on here afterwards going on about how great it all is you are going on my list of enemies ;)

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    What is the make of your current 4870 card? Does it have a reference cooler on it? My have not yet seen my 1GB Saphire hit more than the low 70s maximum. The cooler on this the same as the Toxic version so it is obviously helps I guess. I suppose a warm room doen't help but I can't imagine it accounting for more than a few degrees.

Anyway if you are getting a 4870X2 and a 30" monoitor it is you who will be the laughing soon. In fact if I see you on here afterwards going on about how great it all is you are going on my list of enemies ;)
    gainward 4870 GS.

it's only got 512mb RAM which is a bit of a problem at high res.

No gloating...I promise :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have the build bug.

and a ssd for the OS.

*cries*

Name, address and dates you'll be on holidays please.

Name, address and dates you'll be on holidays please.
    ermm...

Dell have a 2048*x 23" monitor for ~250e or there abouts. Cant remember if it was a sale price tho

Question:

Given I have to prolly pop out the mobo to change the HSF fans around (due to the fiddly metal clasps on the noctua!) I'm thinking of changing mobo altogether.

So a recommendation for a nice reliable 1366 mobo that will allow for some reasonable OC-ing while not terribly expensive? :)

http://min.ie/26u

I happen to have one of the MSI x58 mobos and I wouldn't recommend them tbqh.

I've been in touch with komplett to see if there's anything that can be done wrt the piss poor mobo (imo) - between a bad bios update being thrown online by MSI and now it looks like the first batch of x58s have ****ty IOH/NB cooling it's really not fit-for-purpose imo.

Anyway, I've been in touch via PM with a few peeps cos my 900 case is kinda poor for cable management and I'm not sure if I wanna take a saw to it just yet!

Come december, I'll be raid-0-ing a pair of 80gb x25m second gens for a win7 install;
    fixing the air flow on the noctua hsf (woops!);
    adding a pair of 1.5tb sammy f2 drives (to go with 1.5 total internal storage atm);
    hopefully redoing the cable management to a decent level! (ordered some of the angled sata cables to see if they might help; have to see if I can install my hdds on their side in the caddy)
    and try connect up the 2 front fans as well.

*sighs*

Just a lil bit of work!

Had thought of the cosmos type s case for management but said no in the end.

pics of course as I try fix it up come december!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Get a Gigabyte Board. They are by far the best Mobos IMO.

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Get a Gigabyte Board. They are by far the best Mobos IMO.
    Cheers,

the new mobo is sorta on the back-burner for now; gonna see if anything can be done with the old one first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

You still haven't reversed the fans on the Noctua? :D

You still haven't reversed the fans on the Noctua? :D
    Shut it you!

Been afk for the last 2 months. Was thinking of changing the alignment of the noctua to point up/down instead but I'm not sure if I wanna go messing with pulling out the mobo again to change the mounting brackets.

Just need to change the fan on the right side of the HS anyway. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://min.ie/26u

I happen to have one of the MSI x58 mobos and I wouldn't recommend them tbqh.

I've been in touch with komplett to see if there's anything that can be done wrt the piss poor mobo (imo) - between a bad bios update being thrown online by MSI and now it looks like the first batch of x58s have ****ty IOH/NB cooling it's really not fit-for-purpose imo.

Anyway, I've been in touch via PM with a few peeps cos my 900 case is kinda poor for cable management and I'm not sure if I wanna take a saw to it just yet!

Come december, I'll be raid-0-ing a pair of 80gb x25m second gens for a win7 install;
    fixing the air flow on the noctua hsf (woops!);
    adding a pair of 1.5tb sammy f2 drives (to go with 1.5 total internal storage atm);
    hopefully redoing the cable management to a decent level! (ordered some of the angled sata cables to see if they might help; have to see if I can install my hdds on their side in the caddy)
    and try connect up the 2 front fans as well.

*sighs*

Just a lil bit of work!

Had thought of the cosmos type s case for management but said no in the end.

pics of course as I try fix it up come december!
    I have my hard drives installed backwards in my 900. So the cables are facing the front of the case. Hides them that little bit better.

Advertisement