Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Sorry for the double post. Long time-lurker, infrequent poster. @eringobragh, the clock says the equivalent of 82k miles, and we all know the clock never lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Had to look up that Nissan. Ex taxi eh? Good luck :)

Mike

@mike 65, yeah, kinda sneaky of me, it's actually a maxima with a japanese badge. The VQ20 engine is legendary and the transmission is smooth. Used as a taxi for a while but too heavy on juice for that game. Can't wait to cruise like a yakuza in that baby, a mate of mine runs an old lexus ls400. Future jap classics rock.

Just passed NCT re-test, "by a gee hair" :D Failed first time on emissions and anti-roll bar droplinks.

Base car = €900
    Major Service including 4 new Dunlops, track control arms, track rod ends and brake pads = €750
    NCT = €50 + €27 for re-test
    2nd hand cat to sort emissions (just) = £82 to my door
    Droplinks = £15 each
    Fuel, road tax and insurance = inevitable :o

Owning and running a "japanese jaguar" that feels and runs better than some modern muck...Priceless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

kazul wrote: »
    Just passed NCT re-test, "by a gee hair" :D Failed first time on emissions and anti-roll bar droplinks.

Base car = €900
    Major Service including 4 new Dunlops, track control arms, track rod ends and brake pads = €750
    NCT = €50 + €27 for re-test
    2nd hand cat to sort emissions (just) = £82 to my door
    Droplinks = £15 each
    Fuel, road tax and insurance = inevitable :o

Owning and running a "japanese jaguar" that feels and runs better than some modern muck...Priceless :D

How did you manage to get a cat the cheap if you dont mind me asking ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Welcome to the club kazul, however in our club NCT is optional:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have had nothing but bangers, i could not afford anything else, plus the thoughts of borrowing money to buy a car (of all things) always gave me the shivers. now i have a 91 merc 190e, 1.8 auto, 105,000 on the clock and 4 years service history on it which seems to prove the spedo is correct,i have it since feb, it cost 650 lids, nct is up at the end of the month, i will not insult it with another one, the only money spent so far was 130 lids on 2 tyres last week.

The Cat was from a breaker in the UK. Bought it online, gambled that it would fit. Had to swap over heatshield brackets and weld them on, grrr. Wasn't any real difference between the 2. Passed on the limit for CO after driving it "like i stole it" to the test centre and the tester letting it heat up for 1.5 minutes before he took the reading. The guys at the centre seemed to really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Fair play. My NCTs on Thursday :( .Hopefully 1995 190K Miles Primera will make it again! No pre-tests just chucking her in and see what feedbackI get. I've a feeling she'll fail on the shocks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Here, here another newcomer to the club.
    '96 Punto, originally english reg. I am owner number 8 in Ireland so god knows how many owners it had in the UK before that. 92K on the clock, not bad, colour well faded on it now,originally bright red.
    Bought for €400, so far spent €50 in total on wiper motor and switch but still tryin to fix it.
    Radio only works sometimes but its not too important as I only drive 15 mins to work.Fan blower also gone in it too.
    Gearbox ready to drop out one of these days!!:eek:
    I'll only tax her for 3 months as NCT is up in Feb '09, then I'll get rid of her 'cos she would'nt have a hope of passing an NCT ever again.Shocks nearly gone too.

It cost too much to put her right again.

My phillosophy is just keep the essentials in it working, anything else is a bonus.

I'll drive her till she drops dead on the side of the road!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

last 3 cars i've bought have been from the UK (all jap imports), take them over myself and drive them for a year or so. Then sell them usually for a profit, jap imports are dirt cheap over there and usually make good money over here. The last car i had was an MR2, bought for €3900 (on the road here) and sold it during the summer for €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

E800 got me a peaguot partner van... with 250,000 miles on the clock... flat in 5th will get you to 73mph ( it was 80 when i bought it :( )
    theres a hole in the carpet where my foot rests.. and she stinks..

but i havent spent a penny on it... starts every time...
    sorry i bought a new headlight bulb and wiper..

only down side is that the locks dont work and the radio code was put in too many times so that doesent work.. havent locked it in dublin in 8 months now and no one has even looked at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Know of a guy who never spent more than 500 quid on a car, he was well paid too but had no heed whatsoever in cars. Just kept them till they stopped, might knock 6 months or a year out of a car at a time.

Anyway, one of ‘em was nicked from outside his local one night. Didn’t bother reporting it stolen. Got a call from the cops about a week later asking him if he owned car reg. XYZ 123 which was sitting in their yard. Said he did and was asked why he didn’t report it. Answered that it was worth nothing and couldn’t be bothered. The cops told him to get it out of their yard so he reluctantly went down to the station.

Found his car in pmo, clean as a whistle and fitted with a stereo system and new tyres, things it didn’t have the previous time he saw it. In lieu of rent, as he liked to put it.

Very considerate thieves round there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement