Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a pci-e x1

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a dell E310 and i am looking for a reasonable pci-e x1 graphics card to suit. any ideas?

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi all,

I have a dell E310 and i am looking for a reasonable pci-e x1 graphics card to suit. any ideas?

cheers

To my surprise they exist.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1433067

This is an example, but that's a nasty price for a crappy card. Still with PCI-E x1 as the only option, there's no real choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tough one, you pay way over the odds for those cards - what's it for? You'd be paying high end performance prices for low end performance, with 1x cards. There was pci 1x X1300's floating around a year or two back, and there are some Matrox/Quadro 1x cards, but they'd be extremely expensive. Even the X1300 was about 150 euro in 2006, with the performance of a 40 euro card.

If it's for games, forget it entirely either way, as there's no 1x card fast enough for modern games, apart from maybe on the lowest settings possible.

There are also loads of old standard PCI cards like the 6200, Fx5200, X1550, and so on, with much friendlier price tags then the 1x cards - but decent onboard video would be just as good as these cards for all purposes to be honest, the 6200 might edge past something like the Intel X3100 but barely, at best. I think I saw PCI 3450 cards too, but the prices are just rubbish. And edit: above, the 8400GS, rubbish price as well. The real problem is the 1x link; you're paying for an 8400GS but you would not be getting 8400GS performance, medicore and all as it is with a 4, 8 or 16x lane. Maybe 50%.

Just looked at the E310 - it has onboard GMA900, so a decent PCI card would be much faster, but still not sufficient for the latest games. Maybe old games like Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source, Far Cry, Dawn of War - all of these would be much more playable, and run at medium settings on a PCI 6200 or X1550 for example, versus lowest settings on the GMA900.

But for games like Call of Duty 4 etc neither PCI or PCI-E 1X has any hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

The computer is used as a media pc hooked up to phillips hd ready 32 inch. i like to play aige of empires and thats why i need a graphics card. when the battle takes to the water eveything freezes. i have already upgraded the meory to the max 2 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AoE III?

If so then you're fine with any PCI card really, it's not a very demanding game - this will see you through fine at an excellent price for a PCI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Well i had a look at the misco site. The link didnt bring me to any particular card although i think there are only 2 cards on it anyway. The nvidia would be my choice but when you add in their twenty odd euro delivery it really doess bring up the price a biit. There is also a problem with their security cert according to Internet explorer. If you see anything on ebay worth a look i have paypal.
    One last word i told my brother that i liked the e310 dell because it was a quiet machine. He said yeah - so is a bicycle!

• Advertisement
Advertisement