Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I saw today!

Options
  • 11-10-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Was in the mates gunshop today and took a some pics of some of the stuff he has on offer. All live and shootable :)

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Next stop the range ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If that's a genuine Mauser broomhandle and a genuine 08 they're worth a few bob.

If that's a genuine Mauser broomhandle and a genuine 08 they're worth a few bob.

Both genuine. P08 is 1918 and the broom handle is from 1910. Never fired!!! and belonged to some lord who had to sell some of his collection, to pay for damage to his roof.

This is only some of the pics I took. And would of taken more only my bats in the camera died!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Chem,
    Are the FAL and CAR genuine original cals,or are they modified to 22LR??
    PM sent to you.
    Regds
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Thanks for posting the pictures chem, they're something else; it's great to see those guns still in working order.

The official bit:
    <mod hat>
    Can I gently remind everyone of Item 4 of the Shooting > For Sale/Wanted Charter?:
    "4. No commercial selling
    adverts.ie does not make a profit from its users; neither will any other company. If you wish to engage in commercial interaction, please contact one of the Administrators. The Consumer Information Advertisements Disclosure of Business Interests Order 1984 (Republic of Ireland) requires all advertisements from persons selling goods in the course of a business to make that fact clear. This requirement applies whether the advertiser is acting on his own behalf or for some other person in the course of whose business goods are to be sold.
    "

Everyone: please don't be leading the OP into an 'occasion of sin' by asking in thread for contact details of the gun dealer, or for asking prices for the guns.
    The site owners take 'commercial selling' very seriously, so let's not incur their wrath by turning this thread into such.
    </mod hat>

chem: get those batteries charged and get back there!

• Advertisement

The FAL looks like a very early one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mannlicher

Wow!

When I saw the Mauser K98 sniper I was impressed.

When I saw the wood stocked Fal.......almost spilt my tea.

When I saw the Garand M1, I nearly fell over.

Wonderful to see these old guns back in shooting condition.

Those three classics deserve a better fate than to be neutered and hung on a wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

are these in England? just wondering with it being a Lord and Chem using the term mate. It's unlikely they have lasted in Ireland through the 70's repo.Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Drool!!!!!!!
    If only I had **** loads of money and the patients to to try and aquire such beautys here in backwards Ireland.

~B

Some good news for all! They are in Ireland (shocked face smilie not working) all in original cal, apart from the MP5 lookalike, thats in .22lr semi.

Fal and CAR are straight pull. Fal is original but with the gas rod removed and hole welded so its not semi.

I didnt even get to take pics of the revolvers and pistols. Webleys, Colt 1911 original WW2, .455 enfield etc.

Sorry about the posting of price Rovi, was not thinking! Next time I`ll bring a bag full of batteries! Taking them to the range. Oh yea :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Chem, some nice classic firearms in the pictures, I 'd say some of the lads in The Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland would interested.

Sikamick

Sub machine guns are de-acts :( but blankfire versions can be got for re-enactment so im told!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I think that its a British SLR not a FN FAL :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Whts the story with de-activated guns in ireland? can anyone just buy one? or do you need a special licence? some lovely pieces there chem cheers for teasing us :D

You need written authorisation from da Super Man.
    As such it is not a FAC ASFIK more a letter that states what it is and the serial number.Proably easier to get if you already have a live firearm on ticket,as it then shows they have already vetted you,and you are unlikely to do anything daft with this fire...er..high tech club.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Ha Ha so my dreams of owning a Dragunov or a Romanian style AK-47 might come true!??

More wows.

A mannlicher straight pull, probably 8 x 56.

A HK G3. Notice I didn't say HK91 which they marketed for a while. Different mag release on that, button rather than flap.

Those pics make me happy I'm a gun nerd;)

Ha Ha so my dreams of owning a Dragunov or a Romanian style AK-47 might come true!??

Indeed,why not apply for either live first in either SEMI or straight pull,and have a shooting wall hanger?Takes about as much hassle either way.:)
    Mannlicher
    HK91 was the civvie semi version of G3.,and it did have the,or could be orderd with the paddle release.[In the USaround 1989,cost 1800 Dollars for the basic rifle then:eek:]
    The big giveaway was the furniture.G3 was issued standard in Green,and with the "slimline" fore end to the German army. That one has the "tropical" forend that could take the Bi pod. So this G3 in the pics has some intresting history all right.

Glad yiz all liked the pics. Some real jems there alright. If I was allowed by the other half, our bedroom would look alot like the gun room in the shop :) Its all living history and its a shame that we dont have a collectors licence here!

Its all living history and its a shame that we dont have a collectors licence here!

+1 FACT!!!:(.Somthing maybe the FCP could suggest to DOJ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Whts the story with de-activated guns in ireland? can anyone just buy one? or do you need a special licence? some lovely pieces there chem cheers for teasing us :D

+1 more for a collectors licence. it would be nice for people with an interest
    in militeria to be able to collect without having to worry about grey areas in the law.
    Things like empty brass cases, insert ammo, inert grenades etc and de-acts etc could
    finaly be collected withouth any worry about wondering if your breaking the law or not.

Chem can correct anything that I've said below that
    is untrue................Im only going on guess work and
    unreliable memories......

I've heard that for a de-act if you buy one from a dealer
    within Ireland itself that you dont need anything at all,
    and dont need to do anything special.

I've also heard that to import a de-activated firearm
    into Ireland from outside of Ireland that you need do get
    some form of de-activation certificate that needs to be supplied to your Local Super in order for permission to
    have the said lovely item. (Dont have proof to confirm this though)

Someone maybe it was Chem mentioned before on another thread about the breech block and slide etc needed to be cut and holes drilled in barrels.

As far as I know there are different standards of de-activation. The Newer methods "I think" may involve
    welding the mechinism inside so it cant move.

Older style's may have had the barell plugged but the action could be cocked etc and the de-act could be field stripped. (which I personally would prefer)

There was some news a few months back where some German suppliers of de-acts went wielding internals together when they did not need to due to some brittish
    new legistlation when they did not need to do this if supplying to Ireland. Again apolagess I'm only going on
    heresay and not cold hard facts.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

chem wrote: »
    Glad yiz all liked the pics. Some real jems there alright. If I was allowed by the other half, our bedroom would look alot like the gun room in the shop :) Its all living history and its a shame that we dont have a collectors licence here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFKlwWC4330

Jonty wrote: »
    I think that its a British SLR not a FN FAL :confused:

Wouldn't make any difference in this case anyway as I believe this one is converted to straightpull. As far as I know the only difference between a FAL and an SLR is full auto capability. Anyway, so far for a bit of triviality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Wouldn't make any difference in this case anyway as I believe this one is converted to straightpull. As far as I know the only difference between a FAL and an SLR is full auto capability. Anyway, so far for a bit of triviality.

Not quite the FAL is metric built and the SLR was built to imperial measuements so there are slight differneces (I belive).

bullets wrote: »
    +1 more for a collectors licence. it would be nice for people with an interest
    in militeria to be able to collect without having to worry about grey areas in the law.
    Things like empty brass cases, insert ammo, inert grenades etc and de-acts etc could
    finaly be collected withouth any worry about wondering if your breaking the law or not.

Chem can correct anything that I've said below that
    is untrue................Im only going on guess work and
    unreliable memories......

I've heard that for a de-act if you buy one from a dealer
    within Ireland itself that you dont need anything at all,
    and dont need to do anything special.

I've also heard that to import a de-activated firearm
    into Ireland from outside of Ireland that you need do get
    some form of de-activation certificate that needs to be supplied to your Local Super in order for permission to
    have the said lovely item. (Dont have proof to confirm this though)

Someone maybe it was Chem mentioned before on another thread about the breech block and slide etc needed to be cut and holes drilled in barrels.

As far as I know there are different standards of de-activation. The Newer methods "I think" may involve
    welding the mechinism inside so it cant move.

Older style's may have had the barell plugged but the action could be cocked etc and the de-act could be field stripped. (which I personally would prefer)

There was some news a few months back where some German suppliers of de-acts went wielding internals together when they did not need to due to some brittish
    new legistlation when they did not need to do this if supplying to Ireland. Again apolagess I'm only going on
    heresay and not cold hard facts.

~B

Hi bullets. Im no expert but you are right about the gray areas. Eg: you can have a letter from your super saying you can have a de-act, but you have to import it as if it were a live firearm. Its then sent away for testing inspection etc. It might take weeks/months. But in the end if its seen as OK you get it and your cert.

Problem is most of the items we see here are UK de-acts (cut to bits).

What id like to see is a collectors licence to allow collectors buy live firearms. Maybe have the cut off year of 1945?? Or items of historic interest.

In a perfect world where common scence was common. It would happen. But I feel we will lose more then we will ever gain in the future!

There's a clutter of differences beside the selective fire vs. semi-auto allright Rew, especially with the later versions of the British SLR : different synthetic forend, adjustable stock ( replaceable butt plate ) etc. but they both fire 7.62mm NATO ammo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Hi lads I live in Tallaght about 6 years ago I got an old hammer 12 gauge shot gun working perfect for the wall I put two cuts in the chamber and two plugs welded into the barrells and welded the fireing pins went up to see the sarg he had a look and gave me a cert from the supper no probs at all.
    A few months ago I went to the north and bought a mauser 98 deact with the uk cert back up to the sarg and no prob at all two lovely wall hangers

harly1516 wrote: »
    Hi lads I live in Tallaght about 6 years ago I got an old hammer 12 gauge shot gun working perfect for the wall I put two cuts in the chamber and two plugs welded into the barrells and welded the fireing pins went up to see the sarg he had a look and gave me a cert from the supper no probs at all.
    A few months ago I went to the north and bought a mauser 98 deact with the uk cert back up to the sarg and no prob at all two lovely wall hangers

Lucky for you Harly! Point is if it was a different station you might of been asked where you got the 12 gauge in the 1st place. Did you have a licence for it? etc..... and you imported a k98 from another country without going trough the DOJ. This is the gray area!!!

Some years ago I saked the DOJ about importing an SMLE as a wall hanger. I was told it would have to be ballistic tested to see if it was used in a crime! So they were telling me that they would have to shoot a round down a blocked, cut barrel. And they were going to fire the round from a firing pinless bolt cut at 45 degrees.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Indeed,why not apply for either live first in either SEMI or straight pull,and have a shooting wall hanger?Takes about as much hassle either way.:)

Semi auto would be perfect. That FAL and the Garand are fantastic. If the FAL was seen from the left, we'd see the cocking lever. If it is the folding type then that would confirm that it is a Commonwealth ie Inch Pattern FAL, what the British called their SLR. It looks to me like the sights are a little higher than in the Metric Fal such as the Imbel that I believe is the actual version that the Irish army used.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Mannlicher
    HK91 was the civvie semi version of G3.,and it did have the,or could be orderd with the paddle release.[In the USaround 1989,cost 1800 Dollars for the basic rifle then:eek:]
    The big giveaway was the furniture.G3 was issued standard in Green,and with the "slimline" fore end to the German army. That one has the "tropical" forend that could take the Bi pod. So this G3 in the pics has some intresting history all right.

Thanks for the info Grizzly!

I think some of the earlier semi auto G3s imported into the US were with the paddle release, and called the HK41, but am open to correction on that. Apparently the BATF decided to make up the rules as they went along, and declared further import of that variation illegal. Decided that you could convert it too easily to full auto with drop in trigger module from the military version, as if you'd actually hit anything. So the revised civilian version, now called the HK91 had an altered reciever that wouldn't accept drop in full auto trigger group. Whatever changes they made in the new reciever to make it impossible to convert, resulted in the change to the button release on the right side, like the AR15.

I didn't know anything about the colours!

• Advertisement

chem wrote: »
    Lucky for you Harly! Point is if it was a different station you might of been asked where you got the 12 gauge in the 1st place. Did you have a licence for it? etc..... and you imported a k98 from another country without going trough the DOJ. This is the gray area!!!

Some years ago I saked the DOJ about importing an SMLE as a wall hanger. I was told it would have to be ballistic tested to see if it was used in a crime! So they were telling me that they would have to shoot a round down a blocked, cut barrel. And they were going to fire the round from a firing pinless bolt cut at 45 degrees.

Wow, clueless!

Sad tho' to think of old warhorses being neutered like that. They were built to be durable. I was reading somewhere on the net last year about two MOD Lee Enfields that burst their barrels a few years ago. Turned out that they had each fired approx 250,000 corrosive rounds! Must have been smoothbores unless they went through a lot of barrels.

The Cadets didn't clean them properly and the barrels eventually were so pitted that they gave way. They should have been buried with full military honours!

The Actions were still ok! I believe that in the Garand the design life of the receiver was 400,000 rounds, a HELL of a lot of barrels.

Advertisement